Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Princess 10K (and other adventures) !

Hello everyone! We got back from Disney World yesterday and it is very cold here (and slightly depressing) so I am going to start my trip report right away!

Who?
The usuals - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan) - some people refer to us as the M and M's :)

Where?
Wilderness Lodge :)

When?
February 22 - 27, 2019

Why?
Well - as the title implies we went down for the Princess 10K! It was originally supposed to be both of my sisters and us but for various reasons it ended up being just the two of us :)

Day 1 February 22, 2019
Since our flight was scheduled for very early in the morning my Mom and I decided to stay at a hotel across the street from the airport. We did this once before thinking it was a good idea and again it was not. Any sleep we hoped to save by staying closer was lost due to horrible beds and loud other guests :oops:
In any case, we dragged ourselves out of bed at 3:30 AM and got ready for the airport. The breakfast at the hotel did open at 4 AM so we checked it out but there was nothing good so decided to just head on over to the airport.
We look super duper awake...

Anyway, at the airport we had some bagels then headed to our gate.
(oops sorry accidentally hit post before finishing this post)

About 10 minutes before we were supposed to board we noticed that the time for our departure changed by like 15 minutes. I did not think much of it until they made an announcement that all the computers systemwide at Southwest went down and they could not tell us when we would actually leave and could not board because they could not get a accurate weight of the plane without the computer.

I was beyond frustrated at this point as we have had many issues in the last several months with Southwest and delayed flights. Overall we were only delayed by an hour but it was still pretty annoying. This is also like the third time in two months that Southwest's computers went down . It actually happened the night before too and they canceled over 400 flights due to this and/or weather. The flight attendants more than made up for it though with their charm and witty jokes (one especially good one about Tom Brady which naturally an entire plane of Buffalo people loved).
Anyway, our flight was fairly fast which was good. I think we watched a bit of Netflix :)

FONORAIL!

Then, the usual picture...(don't worry we did not travel from freezing Buffalo in shorts we changed in the airport to help save some/aka make up some time).

Next up: some Expo fun

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Congrats on the run! How fun that you get to do that with your mom :)

We did the Jingle Jungle 5K like 5 years ago, and the waiting really is the worst part!

I feel like waiting for a 5k for some reason would make me even more annoyed :happy::hilarious:

Following along. I'm a little late because I just got home from my trip on Sunday. I'm bummed that we didn't have a chance to meet up while we were down. Maybe next time.

We had done an Illuminations Fireworks cruise last year. I would definitely recommend it. I actually want to do a MK fireworks cruise next. They provide snacks and sodas (or pops for you western NYers), and have blankets on board. You can place an order for real food and beverages if you want. The boats leave from the Yacht Club and cruise down to DHS and back before heading to Epcot. There they tie all the cruise boats together for the show. That part isn't that great as the show isn't really that "private". The best part is that it's one price for the boat, so you can have as many as 16 (I think) people. When we did our cruise, it was just my wife and me and my aunt. Since we had more room, we had @blgauger and Dylan join us. Had a great time!!!

Hm....ok. I'm considering this for my Mom's Birthday but it would just be the 2 of us so... not too sure
I may hit you up for additional information
I feel so bummed we didn't meet either although its entirely my fault and my sleep deprived brains inability to put phone numbers in right

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Your take on the 10k is interesting; I feel that was about 5k but I really enjoy the 10k distance. Maybe that is because I usually run 10k races as a training for a half marathon. And while I did not enjoy how cold it was last year during the half in January, I am grateful that it wasn’t warm (as I too had been training in cold weather).

I did enjoy the 10K distance for sure . I feel like I would do that more often

Congratulations on finishing the race!!! I’ll cheer you on your next race :)

Thanks for cheering me on!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I'm here! Congrats on the race. It looks like so much fun despite the heat and the massive crowds. I feel you on doing the half. I think I'll probably sign up for the half just so I can run in MK, even though I swore I was done with long distances :joyfull:

Looking forward to the rest!

I feel like we actually ran through more of the park than the half but it just wasn't the MK ...:joyfull:

Congrats on the run! Looking forward to the rest of your adventures with mom!

Thank you !

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Totally agree about the standing around. One year I did the marathon and stayed at the Grand Flo. I was able to catch the Monorail to the race start and the man working the Monorail told me that it was 27 degrees. That is probably no big deal for you since you are from Buffalo but being from the south that was No Bueno. Standing in that parking lot waiting to walk over to the starting line was miserable.

Oh my goodness as used to cold weather as we are I can not imagine waiting around that long in it!

Congrats on the race! And as always I am in :)

Thank you :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I'm trying to get my sister to do a RunDisney race so I can tag along. Of course, I told her that I would cheer for her from my bed... 😂

:hilarious: I was surprised how many spectators were out and about race morning. The one time my Dad was there we did not see him until the end!

I don't know how I missed this trip report but I'm all caught up now :)

Woohoo thanks for reading !

Doc Disney

Original Poster
A little late but following along! My friend and I ran the half marathon that weekend and it was crazy humid and hot even for those of us who live in Florida. Love your pictures from the 10K-I wish I had signed up for that race because Mulan is my favorite princess, but I definitely would not have made it through the half if I had. The 10K distance is my favorite to run-long enough to feel accomplished but not exhausted.

Oh man congratulations on doing a half that weekend! I don't think we would have survived honestly.

krisri18

I feel like waiting for a 5k for some reason would make me even more annoyed :happy::hilarious:

Hm....ok. I'm considering this for my Mom's Birthday but it would just be the 2 of us so... not too sure
I may hit you up for additional information
I feel so bummed we didn't meet either although its entirely my fault and my sleep deprived brains inability to put phone numbers in right
When is your mom's birthday? Perhaps it overlaps with other forum friends' trips and you can split it?

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Back at the hotel we both showered then headed down to Roaring Fork for some breakfast.
My Mom had the Mickey waffles with just the strawberries and whipped cream (they can come with a ton of toppings like caramel and bananas) and I had the breakfast platter (eggs, biscuit, potatoes, sausage and bacon).
Both things were just OK

My Mom was not too thrilled I made her sit outside (birds issue) :joyfull:

Anyway, we did not have any plans until later in the afternoon so we headed to the Boulder Ridge pool and relaxed
Took some selfies ...

It was definitely warmer than 78 but IG was always getting the temps wrong

Now that our race was over it was extra nice to be in the sun relaxing
At some point we got some fries from Geyser Point. It took them like 15 minutes to make them but they were delicious!

It was actually really hot out so we ate our fries from one of the nooks inside (our room was being cleaned)

Then we headed to the boat dock so we could head to the MK :)
Oh but first we took this picture...this rug is off one of the elevators (can not remember which floor) and it reminded me of Hoop Dee Doo :hilarious:

On the boat!

Next up: some MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I know some members travelling then 😉

:happy: I have to look up the price anyway I feel like I may get sticker shock hahah

OK... I feel like an old lady.. I have no idea how to put the temperature on my IG pics...

Hit the button I circled and it will give you all sorts of options like the temp :) - this is through the story part of IG not if you were going to post something

Love your pink shorts with the ruffles!!

Thank you! I just got them last month - they are from the Loft

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Again more randomness

Finally we made it to our first FP!

A more accurate temp..

We look hot as heck :joyfull:

Its really anyone's guess where this light is from because I have no clue ....

Oh ... we went to the Tangled restrooms next I guess - my memory from this day is super fuzzy (sleep deprivation)...maybe the light is from there.

How about this light ??? This one I know ...making into a game now apparently :happy:

Next up: more MK!

Rista1313

Hit the button I circled and it will give you all sorts of options like the temp :) - this is through the story part of IG not if you were going to post something

LOL... this is how I know I'm old.... I tried to do the story thing... but I just didn't get it... I was a hot mess trying. I finally just deleted it and gave up. I need a younger person to show me! OK... I'm only 48, and I'm very techy, but apparently not with IG stories.

Spash007

LOL... this is how I know I'm old.... I tried to do the story thing... but I just didn't get it... I was a hot mess trying. I finally just deleted it and gave up. I need a younger person to show me! OK... I'm only 48, and I'm very techy, but apparently not with IG stories.

I'm 30 and have no idea what you're talking about. :hilarious: I understand what IG is, but have never touched it and have absolutely no idea how it works!

Doc Disney

Original Poster

I'm 30 and have no idea what you're talking about. :hilarious: I understand what IG is, but have never touched it and have absolutely no idea how it works!

:hilarious: If it makes you feel any better I just had to teach my one friend how to even add a friend on IG and she is younger than me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom