Trip Report **Completed** Leave for Disney World on Friday The 13th They Said. It'll Be Fun They Said. A July 2018 Trip Report.

Hello Disney Friends. Welcome to my long overdue trip report!

My daughter @TheMARVELousAllieBrown posted a pre-trip report for this trip.

Here's whatcha need to know:
Who: DD Allie @TheMARVELousAllieBrown, Me Lisa @LisaBelle , DH Paul, my sister Tina @TangledTina, my BIL Mark, my nephew Spence and DS Adam

When: Friday, July 13 :eek:-Sunday, July 22, 2018
Where: The Contemporary Resort Garden Wing
Why: Ten Year Anniversary of our last whole family vacation, Allie's high school graduation and Paul & Lisa's 29th anniversary. In the pre-trip we dubbed it our Vacaygraduversary Trip!
How: Road Trip!
I created treat bags for every state that we would drive through. The idea being that as we crossed the state line we would open the bag and enjoy a treat that is representative of that state. For Ohio, naturally I chose Buckeyes candy.

For Kentucky I chose Ale 8 soda. Bourbon would have been the obvious choice, but since not everyone was of legal drinking age I had to go with a soft drink.

For Tennessee it was Goo Goo Clusters

Georgia was Peanut M & Ms

And Florida would be orange juice from the Florida Welcome Center.
Because we were driving, I placed the small bags inside of an insulated cooler bag to keep the chocolate from melting. I made one bag for our car and one bag for Tina's.

Day 1 Friday, July 13, 2018
Tina and her family live about an hour north of us. They planned to leave home around 7, drive toward Cincy and meet us at the Chick-fil-A at our exit around 8. We were hoping to have breakfast and be on the road by 9. We would spend the night in Valdosta, Georgia and arrive at Disney around check in time on Saturday. Sounds like a great plan, right?
Tina has a tendency to run late, so when she hadn't texted by 7:15 to say that they were on the road, I wasn't too concerned. When I still hadn't heard from her by 7:30 I texted to see how things were coming. Instead of a text, I get a call saying, "Maybe you guys should just leave without us." What????!!!!!! And there goes the plan!
Because there was a medical situation they would be taking a short trip to the hospital before they could leave for the trip to Disney. We decided we would wait it out for a bit so when we left they would not be too far behind us. With bellies full of Chick-fil-A, we were finally on the road at about 12 (about 3 hours behind schedule so not too bad). A bumpy start but glad to finally be en route to the happiest place on earth. We crossed the border into Kentucky about 15 minutes later. We opened our first treat and continued on our way. We had just passed Lexington, KY when Tina called to say that they were on their way! We figured that we should be able to meet up somewhere down the road.
We stopped for an early dinner at a Subway in Knoxville, TN. Back in the car to continue our journey, we decided to enjoy our Goo Goo Clusters for dessert. We noticed the car was not getting cooler. We turned the a/c off and back on again. No cool air. We pulled into a parking lot, turned the car off and back on again. Still no cool air. By now the Goo Goo Clusters and M& Ms are starting to melt and it is approaching 5pm on a Friday night. Adam and Allie researched nearby Firestone Auto Repair shops. The closest one said their a/c charger was not charging. We found another one about 15 minutes away. It was July in Tennessee. It was a lovely sunny day and the temperature was well into the nineties! We were melting by the time we arrived at Firestone.

We arrived hopeful and left with our spirits dashed as the problem was not something they could fix and it would have to be repaired at the dealership. On the road again, we were looking forward to nightfall and hopefully cooler temps. We were forced to ride in style with our windows down to avoid heatstroke. This prevented us from hearing the dialogue from our dvd player. To keep up morale Allie had the aux and we jammed out. We were headed further south and although our spirits were high, the temperature was higher. Our unsuccessful Firestone detour allowed Tina's family to close the gap a bit. By now we were only about an hour ahead of them. Fast forward an hour and Tina's a/c also went out as they drove through Knoxville. Lucky for them, their's was an easy fix and Mark was able to re-charge their a/c. Just before sundown we stopped for gas. At this point we decided it was vital to document our misery. Please enjoy this photo at a gas station somewhere between Knoxville and Atlanta.

Paul and Adam smiling through the pain. So proud of our little troopers!
We forged on and eventually were able to meet up with Tina's crew at a truck stop with a Wendy's around 11pm.

We rallied after our Wendy's pit stop (which was the longest wait at Wendy's on record) and finally made it to our hotel in Valdosta at 3am. Let me say that a shower and air conditioning have never felt so good!
Due to our late arrival we decided to sleep in a bit and would check out at 11 and grab lunch before hitting the road.

Last edited:

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Hi everyone! I'm back to post some more. It was a crazy first week back at school. I had parent teacher conferences and then we had to take Allie back to college today :cry:.
When I left off we were heading across the park to The Wildest Ride in the Wilderness. This is my favorite MK ride. I would love to join @Tuvalu and @Longers in their BTMR ride challenge. If only I had an AP! It was going on noon and it was HOT! I was super thankful for our FP because the sun was pounding down on parts of the queue.

After BTMR we were roasting! Adam, Allie and Spence had some ice cream and we popped into Pecos Bill's for a slushie for Mark. We sat inside Pecos Bill's and cooled off before heading back to Fantasyland for our lunch at BOG.
Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie. When I walk into BOG I truly feel like I walked into the movie. I could spend hours in here checking out all the details.

Up next: More BOG

LisaBelle

Original Poster

Because we didn't pre-order, we spent a bit of time in line. By the time we ordered our food we were getting hangry. We were indecisive about where to sit and we had to find a table with room for 7. We found a table in the ball room. It was crowded and a bit loud, but I just love it.

The food arrived and Tina and Mark discovered that they had somehow ordered 3 meals when they only meant to order 2 (she and Mark were going to share). When they realized what they did the CM offered to take the extra meal back and credit their account. This is one of those instances where Disney rises above. Most places wouldn't have offered to do that and Tina and Mark would have been stuck with way too much food. They were very appreciative as they couldn't finish their meal even though they shared. Spence ordered the Croque Monsieur and Tina and Mark shared the pork and French onion soup (no picture of that).

Adam had the French onion soup and the Croque Monsieur.
Allie had the French onion soup, the turkey sandwich and a double chocolate cupcake. For some reason I don't have pictures of any of her food.
Paul and I shared the French onion soup and a French dip sandwich. I could eat that soup every day. The roast beef on the French dip was a bit dry, but since we dipped it in the au jus it wasn't too bad.

Mark LOVED the strawberry cupcake.

Adam, Spence, Tina, and I had the Master's Cupcake. Oh. My. Goodness. So. Yummy :hungry:!

Spence had never tried a croque monsieur before. He didn't hate it but he didn't love it. Everyone else enjoyed their meals.
Up next: Finishing up BOG

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Day 3 Continued
We left MK and headed back to the Contemporary. I think we walked back, but I can't say for sure (one of the pitfalls of waiting so long to write my TR)! Paul and Mark wanted to take a nap. Tina, the kids and I wanted to take a dip in the pool. We got changed and I headed to the pool with Adam and Allie. Adam got a cocktail, I can't remember what he got and I don't have a picture. Then we hit the pool. We were sweltering and we got into the pool expecting to feel cool and refreshed, but we felt like we were in the bathtub. Not the refreshing experience we were hoping for! Tina and Spence joined us and the kids decided to try out the slide while T and I lounged and discussed our game plan for the rest of the day.
Waiting their turn.

Here comes Adam!

Hey there Spence!

Hi Allie!

Adam stopped to check out the scenery on the way back to the room.

We went back to the room to relax and get cleaned up before heading back to MK for the night.
We left the room about 6:45 and headed to the monorail.

Tina likes the mural.

I loved this sight! I remember riding the monorail through the Contemporary on other trips and it was cool to have this resort as our home base for the week.

Gotta keep up with social media, even while on the monorail!

Up next: Our first night at MK!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Before continuing with our evening at MK I have to back track a bit. I found a picture of Allie's double chocolate cupcake from BOG. My pics were out of order and I didn't think I had one. Wish I had one right about now.

After arriving back at MK we headed to Haunted Mansion. It is one of our favorites and we couldn't wait join the grim grinning ghosts.

The resemblance is uncanny!

We were all hungry so we headed to one of our favorite quick service restaurants, Columbia Harbour House. I think we've eaten here at least once every trip.

Apparently I fell down on the job again as I can't find any food pictures. In my notes I wrote that most of us had the lobster roll and Adam had a side of mac & cheese. Paul and Adam went to Sleepy Hollow and got the the chicken and waffles and brought it back to Columbia Harbour House. We sat upstairs and enjoyed the view. I love this view! One of my favorite views in all of MK!

When we were finished it was getting dark. I took a few night time shots as we headed toward Fantasyland for our last FP of the day.

Up next: SDMT

Doc Disney

Allie got creative and we ended up looking like princesses!

Aww!! Thats so cute (also somehow totally missed this whole post...). We were so happy to meet all of you my Mom and I could not stop talking (and we still do haha) about how sweet you all were!!!

Disney Magic at it's best!
I was so excited for my first Magic meet up! Mary was there. I promise. I'm pretty sure @Doc Disney can vouch for me.

She was @amjt660 ! She typically declines the photos since she "is not on the forum"

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Aww!! Thats so cute (also somehow totally missed this whole post...). We were so happy to meet all of you my Mom and I could not stop talking (and we still do haha) about how sweet you all were!!!

She was @amjt660 ! She typically declines the photos since she "is not on the forum"
Aww, thanks! Meeting you and your mom was one of my favorite parts of the trip. I hope we get to meet up again some day.
Thanks for verifying that we got to meet Mary. Told ya @amjt660 !

HAHA... little does she know, she is very well known on the forum and we would recognize her anywhere!
So true!

amjt660

Premium Member
I simply stated that without photographic evidence it is difficult to confirm that Mary was actually there.

And for saying this I get jumpEd on like a bouncy castle at a 5 years old birthday party!!!!

I did need this stuff - I can go home and get this type of abuse!!!!!!

Max

Last edited:

DisSplash

I loved all of the details you captured at BOG - I've never really looked at the Knight Armor up close, and I am sure there is a story in each of those engravings! Your Gargoyle pic is hilarious (love the Mickey earrings you were wearing too!), and I was dying over your sister's Haunted Mansion face ... she has some Jim Carrey facial contortionist skills there! :D:joyfull:

LisaBelle

Original Poster
I simply stated that with out photographic evidence it is difficult to confirm that Mary was actually there.

And for saying this I get jump on like a bouncy castle at a 5 years old birthday party!!!!

I did need this stuff - I can go home and get this type of abuse!!!!!!

Max

Thanks for keeping us honest Max!

I loved all of the details you captured at BOG - I've never really looked at the Knight Armor up close, and I am sure there is a story in each of those engravings! Your Gargoyle pic is hilarious (love the Mickey earrings you were wearing too!), and I was dying over your sister's Haunted Mansion face ... she has some Jim Carrey facial contortionist skills there! :D:joyfull:

Tina gets the credit for the pics of the details on the armor.
Thanks! I love my Mickey earrings. They're my favorite!
Looks like Tina discovered a new talent!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Day 3 Continued
After dinner at Columbia Harbor House we headed to SDMT. Mark and Spence had never ridden it. My crew rode it back in 2014, but we only rode it during the day. Tina and I rode it at night during our Princess 5k trip. We thought it was way more fun at night, so we made a nighttime FP for tonight. The FP line was super short and we walked right on. Soon we were hanging out with our dwarf friends.
I love this picture of Paul! Pure Disney joy!

Everyone enjoyed it and I think most of us agree that it is more fun at night.
After we left SDMT we headed toward the hub for HEA. We knew that our SDMT FP time meant we were sacrificing a stellar viewing spot for HEA. We decided that that was okay as we'd have other opportunities to watch HEA.
In the past, we've watched Wishes from the bridge between Tomorrowland and the hub and decided that we'd try that. We found a spot that looked workable especially because I could stand at the rail and have a good view of the castle. This was lucky as I am vertically challenged!
This was our first time seeing HEA and we wanted to enjoy it so this is the only picture I have.

My thoughts on HEA? Wishes was my favorite nighttime show. Hearing the music always takes me back to the first trip Paul and I took with the kids in 2004. I knew it was going to be hard to top Wishes in my book and it was. While I enjoyed HEA, I didn't immediately love it like I did Wishes. I decided to keep an open mind and see how I felt later in the week when we'd have a better view of the projections.
So beautiful!

After the show we fought our way through the crowds to do some shopping on Main Street.
We are from Cincinnati and this C on Casey's Corner always reminds us of the Cincinnati Reds logo.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
It was time to get our shop on at the Emporium!
Spence found something for Tina.

I liked these shirts. I try not to make too many impulse buys so I always take pictures of things I like and come back later if I decide I really want it.

I ended up buying this one later in the trip.

I always plan to buy a pair of ears and usually end up not buying any. This year, I was determined to actually buy the ears. I wanted to buy them early in the trip so that I'd have plenty of time to wear them in the parks. I tried on multiple pairs and finally decided on the rose gold ears.

Adam bought a Mickey ball cap and Allie bought the icon ears. Purchases in hand we decided to head out for the evening.
A last view of the castle.

The train station looks beautiful all lit up!

And with that, our first park day had come to a close. We walked back to the Contemporary and hit the hay. We had another big day planned for tomorrow!
Up next: Animal Kingdom

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom