Trip Report *COMPLETED* I've climbed the mountain, I've crossed the river, and I'm almost there!

Introduction

We've only been back from Japan since Saturday night but I am just itching to get started on this report! We had an absolutely AMAZING trip and I'm not ready to let it go, and writing my TR is one way for me to delay the inevitable return back to "the real world." :) This was the longest vacation I've ever taken, and like any long trip-or any new experience, for that matter-there were ups and downs, good moments and not-so-good moments. There were mistakes, mishaps, mountains, and monkeys. Yes, monkeys! There were surprises and there was DRAMMA!* There were things we will do differently next time we visit Japan, and believe me, we knew less than halfway through the trip that there WILL be a next time someday!

In case you missed the PTR, here it is: Bee's Big Birthday! There you can read about the cast, the general plans, and the reasons for planning this particular trip.

Now about the title: It's a reference to this song from The Princess and the Frog:

I have been kind of obsessed with this song lately and I found myself singing it in my head repeatedly during the trip. You'll see why soon!

So, if you're ready for a journey halfway around the world, thousands of photos, and Double Disney bookends, keep reading!

EDIT: The Tokyo Disney stuff starts here.

*I've mentioned it in previous TRs, but I like to spell "dramma" the Italian way because I'm an opera singer and what's more DRAMMAtic than Italian opera?? So please don't think I'm an idiot (for that reason anyway :hilarious:)!

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
427E26AE-2BD0-47FF-BE2B-4D5638770BCC.jpeg
7BC338FF-2997-494F-B9E5-4FE24A7223AC.jpeg
3EEA8328-03B4-4698-94B5-BC83F3AAD146.jpeg
00523E3C-49B5-4763-A2D2-3DBDB46B4D78.jpeg
5AEFAE04-CDC2-47C7-A4E6-99C0E659D7AB.jpeg
7C89E110-E5C1-4DA8-AD81-A7D5288BA8D1.jpeg
B6E58C83-EBA6-4425-89B4-1832CFF9EA73.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My goodness, you caught a bright, sunny day there! Pictures are great. (I heard it often rains in London, so that's why your photos particularly caught my attention here this morning.) :)

bee

Original Poster
My goodness, you caught a bright, sunny day there! Pictures are great. (I heard it often rains in London, so that's why your photos particularly caught my attention here this morning.) :)
It has been quite sunny here for us! It has only rained once, for a few minutes, while we were eating dinner at the hotel lounge. It may rain a bit today, though.

Tiggertoo56

Lucky you to have sunshine today in London - I live in Bristol (west of England) and we've had rain & wind but should have had sunshine most of the day. You got it instead!🤨 hope you're enjoying your trip to the UK. Lovely that you could have 2 trips for both birthdays.

PiratesMansion

My apologies if this was answered earlier in the thread, but what wait time app did you use for Tokyo Disney, and did you find it to be reliable?

bee

Original Poster
Lucky you to have sunshine today in London - I live in Bristol (west of England) and we've had rain & wind but should have had sunshine most of the day. You got it instead!🤨 hope you're enjoying your trip to the UK. Lovely that you could have 2 trips for both birthdays.
Sorry you got the rain meant for us! We got quite lucky with the weather during our trip.

My apologies if this was answered earlier in the thread, but what wait time app did you use for Tokyo Disney, and did you find it to be reliable?
I don’t think I did mention it! It is called TDRAlert and was fairly reliable. Sometimes the posted wait times were 5-10 minutes different from what the app said and sometimes the app said that there were FPs available for certain attractions when they were actually out, but for a free app it was pretty useful.

bee

Original Poster
We are back! London was absolutely amazing and we can't wait to go back someday!!!

Day 19, cont.

We walked back to the front of the park to take advantage of the park hopper feature of our tickets (they don't call it "Park Hopper" like at WDW but it's the same thing, so that's what I'm calling it!).

tumblr_pldpma56xd1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpmb5Jr31qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpuzrMci1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpv01sTR1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpv1KqoX1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We had a look inside the Emporio...

tumblr_pldpv1ASbO1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpv2FUlk1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

On the way out we got our hands stamped.

tumblr_pldpv3ZFKX1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

This one left a lot of ink on me this time!

We took the monorail to Disneyland and entered pretty quickly. As we approached the SM FP kiosks we encountered THIS...

tumblr_pldpv36deV1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

At least while we waited we could watch the construction for the BatB attraction...

tumblr_pldpv4oYBf1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldpv4Wwq31qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We watched as the return time got later and later...

tumblr_pldpv5bio31qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: Will we ever get a FP?????

bee

Original Poster
Day 19, cont.

We rode the monorail to Resort Gateway Station to go to Ikspiari. There we stopped in a bathroom and I felt compelled to take a photo of the mirror apparently??

tumblr_pldq1wxt1T1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

I had researched restaurant menus before and a place called Monsoon Select looked promising.

tumblr_pldq1x15m21qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Our waitress greeted us bilingually and asked in English if it was okay if she spoke Japanese because her English wasn't very good. I said yes in Japanese, hoping to practice a little more! She then told us in English her name, and I said "Nice to meet you" in Japanese. She was VEERRY impressed (even though again I am not anywhere near fluent or even conversation, I just learned a few key phrases) and said it back to me in Japanese. We told her in Japanese that we are vegetarians and she went through a whole list of foods (going back and forth between languages) to ask if they were okay. We really appreciated this because "vegetarian" can mean so many different things, especially to people from different countries.

tumblr_pldq1xP6UP1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We started with beer. I'm thinking they were Sapporo but apparently I didn't document this very well!

tumblr_pldq1ykwrA1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

A vegan spinach salad

tumblr_pldq1zj4yq1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Vegan spinach

Both of these were SO. SUPER. TASTY. The sauce on the sauteed spinach was one of my favorite things I tasted in Japan. We wished there had been an option with some tofu and rice or something else with more substance, but at least the food was really good (even if we were still hungry at the end).

tumblr_pldq1zWvvU1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

I took a picture of this because at a lot of restaurants we paid at the front after the meal, but here we paid at the table.

tumblr_pldq20qA6M1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq21u0lI1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We went back out into the mall and had to check out the Disney store!

tumblr_pldq5lPKxp1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq5mDfWF1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq5m7xp41qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq5nO7eg1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq5nJyfg1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq5oOmiS1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq5plOeD1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We didn't buy anything, even though there was so much cute stuff.

Next we went to the grocery store in the mall for some snacks and some breakfast for the next day.

tumblr_pldq5qKOmb1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq5qCKUl1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: Back to the room

bee

Original Poster
Day 19, cont.

We took the monorail back to Bayside Station.

tumblr_pldq5rN5aJ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq8d2M0w1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq8egiTh1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Our haul from the grocery store

tumblr_pldq8e0mBg1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

I don't even remember what these controls were for. Lights maybe?

tumblr_pldq8fLJHE1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We shared a caprese salad

tumblr_pldq8fAnUP1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pldq8heAwy1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

And some chips

tumblr_pldq8ioJrv1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

AND SOME DARK CHOCOLATE KITKATS WHICH ARE THE BEST KITKATS EVER

tumblr_pldq8ioiSO1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

This is what the KitKat package says apparently!

I took some time to do the survey I'd received earlier in the park.

tumblr_pldq8kfR0i1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

I'm not supposed to say what questions were on it. But it was basically about travel plans to and from Japan and to and from Tokyo Disney Resort.

tumblr_pldq8jeeBC1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

In addition to this adorable postcard, I received a "gift" at the end of a phone background:

tumblr_plhehrS9DH1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Which I am still using to this day!

Up next: "Fast" Pass...

bee

Original Poster
Day 19, cont.

After a break in the room we headed back toward DisneySea.

tumblr_plhehrMc2r1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Elevator view

tumblr_plhehshYu61qhyy8p_1280.jpg

In our lobby

tumblr_plhehtbWYP1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Blurry arriving bus

tumblr_plhehtdk461qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhehul7dl1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhehvEH5Q1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Monorail

tumblr_plhehvt4nG1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhehwp4tL1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhehxqcmH1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Once inside the park we stopped at the Emporio for some souvenirs. I think I mentioned before that my brother wanted something specific to the Tokyo parks so we ended up getting him something from here with Gelatoni the cat, who is a friend of Duffy. Later I'll post pics of all the souvenirs we got for everyone because I took better photos of them once we got home and before we sent them.

tumblr_plhel3fxJH1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We headed toward Port Discover to use our Journey FP.

tumblr_plhel4wCig1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhel5lVX51qhyy8p_1280.jpg

The app said that the standby entrance was closed and only guests with FPs were being allowed to line up. HMMMMM...

tumblr_plhel4tEI01qhyy8p_1280.jpg

This doesn't look good...

tumblr_plhel6LHOa1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhel6ZIJg1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

This is how far back we were from the actual ride entrance!

We slowly but surely moved through the queue...

tumblr_plhel7pmJ41qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhel79sT81qhyy8p_1280.jpg

NO STANDBY ALLOWED!!!

tumblr_plhel8Y1F61qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhel9lmbH1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

And FINALLY we made it to a ride vehicle, FORTY MINUTES after we got on line! 😦

Needless to say this was very frustrating and the worst wait of the trip. Occasionally in WDW I've had to wait 15-20 minutes for Soarin' with a FP, but I've never experienced ANYTHING like this.

Up next: Under the Sea

bee

Original Poster
Day 19, cont.

After we finally rode Journey to the Center of the Earth, we made the short journey to Mermaid Lagoon and went back inside King Triton's castle with the goal of seeing King Triton's Concert. It was quite busy inside, which was no surprise with the level of crowds plus the cold weather.

tumblr_plhew3X0NA1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhew3oBhI1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhew4b38O1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

It was a long wait for the show but eventually we found our seats inside.

tumblr_plhew4ilCT1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhew5mjee1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhew6vhXJ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhew6owyJ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhew7lEDa1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

The show used a combination of live performers, puppetry, animatronics, and screens/projections. We really enjoyed it, even though it was all in Japanese and we couldn't understand what anyone was saying. :hilarious: I especially thought it was cool how Ariel was an aerial (!!) artist and the choreography made it look like she was swimming in the air!

tumblr_plhew80MYt1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf07WZr11qhyy8p_1280.jpg

After the show we hit some of the smaller attractions inside the castle.

tumblr_plhf085MiY1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf08mG1B1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Jumpin' Jellyfish

tumblr_plhf09CE441qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf0aQu0u1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Two hand stamps from two parks!

tumblr_plhf0aSeWK1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf0bGD8g1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf0cckDO1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Blowfish Balloon Race

Up next: Hopping back to Disneyland

bee

Original Poster
@bee , as usual, you never disappoint us with your fascinating TRs! Loving the photos and commentary. You have the ability to whisk us all away to far-off lands and experiences.

This is such fun armchair reading -- I look forward to whenever you post about your vacations! :happy:
Thank you for your kind words and thank you for reading!

It is such a simple effect, but I LOVE the way the "water ripple" cutout pieces really make it seem like we're (you're...) UNDER THE SEA! Oh Disney, you've done it again! :geek: I'm having so much fun in Japan!
I loved that too!

bee

Original Poster
Day 19, cont.

We managed to ride every ride AND see the show in Mermaid Lagoon over our two days in DisneySea! After we wrapped up the land we headed out of the park to go back to Disneyland for our Space Mountain FP.

tumblr_plhf0d1zew1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf0dPzoP1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

A little Fantasmic on the way out

tumblr_plhf34Nvp71qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We used our Space FP without incident, and did NOT get stuck on the ride like we did at Disneyland!

Afterward we were hungry so we went back to Plazma Ray's for some veggie curry. We wanted to try the set meal with fries, but we only wanted to share one serving of fries, so we decided to order one curry on its own and one set meal. When we arrived at the counter to order, the CM we got was new and in training, and spoke even less English than we spoke Japanese. He seemed really nervous and had lots of laminated cards for reference, and we all did our best to communicate. We found that in lots of restaurants in Japan it was best to just say or point to what we wanted, and then say "two" and hold up two fingers. However, it was a little more complicated since we didn't want two of the exact same thing. His supervisor stepped in to help and eventually we got exactly what we wanted. The CM was super nice and we actually really enjoyed the experience. We always like ordered from CMs in training because we like to think we are a little part of their training!

tumblr_plhf34M7Eu1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf35U4EJ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

It also came with soda, hence the green stuff in a cup!

tumblr_plhf35izGv1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf36cZBT1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

After dinner we walked back to Fantasyland to see what rides had short waits. We also caught a bit of a fireworks show (though I'm not sure which one!).

tumblr_plhf37PKtd1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf38fzF81qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf38C7Jz1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf39VdCW1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Snow White's Adventures was a walk-on.

tumblr_plhf67Ydkl1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf68hYef1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf69jnbR1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

The ride was very similar to the version in Disneyland.

Up next: a bunch of thots

bee

Original Poster
Day 19, cont.

Park closing time was fast approaching. We were both exhausted, and also full of adrenaline and in denial that we would have to leave the park--and this beautiful country--soon. We thought about just leaving for the night so we could get to bed and prepare for our departure the next day. I turned to M and said, "Would it be crazy for us to go ride Big Thunder right now?" She thought about it for a moment, but suggested that we instead check the wait time for Pooh's Hunny Hunt. It had had outrageous wait times all day without a hope for a FP, plus it's a unique attraction that we can't ride back home.

Sure enough, the ride that had had waits of over an hour all day was finally down to a reasonable wait time!

tumblr_plhf695Skv1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf6afpnR1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf6bjwMT1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf6bvcPx1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf6cO1Jd1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf6d9VbX1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We couldn't help but giggle at all the references to Pooh's "thots!" :hilarious:

tumblr_plhf6dnbPv1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf8uwTES1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf8ucpGV1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf8vkEIK1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

🐝

tumblr_plhf8wBlXr1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf8xH4ri1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_plhf8xrVRu1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Pooh's Hunny Hunt was totally cute and fun and we were glad we got to ride it!

Up next: We're in major denial about the end of our vacation

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom