Trip Report *COMPLETED* I've climbed the mountain, I've crossed the river, and I'm almost there!

Introduction

We've only been back from Japan since Saturday night but I am just itching to get started on this report! We had an absolutely AMAZING trip and I'm not ready to let it go, and writing my TR is one way for me to delay the inevitable return back to "the real world." :) This was the longest vacation I've ever taken, and like any long trip-or any new experience, for that matter-there were ups and downs, good moments and not-so-good moments. There were mistakes, mishaps, mountains, and monkeys. Yes, monkeys! There were surprises and there was DRAMMA!* There were things we will do differently next time we visit Japan, and believe me, we knew less than halfway through the trip that there WILL be a next time someday!

In case you missed the PTR, here it is: Bee's Big Birthday! There you can read about the cast, the general plans, and the reasons for planning this particular trip.

Now about the title: It's a reference to this song from The Princess and the Frog:

I have been kind of obsessed with this song lately and I found myself singing it in my head repeatedly during the trip. You'll see why soon!

So, if you're ready for a journey halfway around the world, thousands of photos, and Double Disney bookends, keep reading!

EDIT: The Tokyo Disney stuff starts here.

*I've mentioned it in previous TRs, but I like to spell "dramma" the Italian way because I'm an opera singer and what's more DRAMMAtic than Italian opera?? So please don't think I'm an idiot (for that reason anyway :hilarious:)!

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 12, cont.

tumblr_pkslq6HkbE1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslq7B3LT1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslq8Qbbt1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We guessed that on a sunny day this one would create cool shadows.

tumblr_pkslq8avo21qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslq9s04W1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslqaeefn1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslqbmk231qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslt4bwPh1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslt5P0iI1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslt6n2EU1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We went back down the flower stairs and to the Hypocenter Park.

tumblr_pkslt7dprk1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

@Rista1313 they don't look so weird here...

tumblr_pkslt7jecX1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Hypocenter Park:

tumblr_pkslt8Crzw1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslt9MwWs1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksltaprLC1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksltaFdb81qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksltbmq6T1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: More Hypocenter Park, and the A Bomb Museum.

bee

Original Poster
Day 12, cont.

To me the highlight (if you can call it that) of the Hypocenter Park was this beautiful scupture:

tumblr_pkslwegdno1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslweaVok1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslwfhaVK1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslwgwMVZ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslwho0AX1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

A bit about the art:

tumblr_pkslwhW7P11qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Next we walked to the museum.

tumblr_pkslwi0vOC1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslwjkDuW1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslwkFrAu1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslwk8bND1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslzcROWD1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslzdCRGl1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

I did not take any photos inside the museum as I wanted to be respectful and also just take it all in. It is a very well done museum and really focuses on the innocent victims of war, especially children. If you are ever in Nagasaki I highly recommend a visit.

On the way out of the museum you can take a paper crane or paper hydrangea to remember your visit.

tumblr_pkslzf2Gd91qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkslzeqJOA1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: The end of Day 12. Fast food and a movie!

bee

Original Poster
Day 12, cont.

We headed back to the car to begin the drive back to Sasebo. I got a hot bottled tea from a vending machine.

tumblr_pkslzgaAoL1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We passed this on the way:

tumblr_pkslzg5ZOx1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

LOL

We had plans to see a movie at the cinema on base. We needed a quick dinner so we decided to go to the food court on base.

tumblr_pkslzhTHBi1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Taco Bell! TB is one of the more vegetarian-friendly fast food places out there.

tumblr_pkslzhsQJa1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Fries and a biscuit from Popeye's. So healthy, lol

We then went to the theater and saw Mary Poppins Returns. If you liked it, don't hate me...but I didn't care for it. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't do anything for me. The music was not memorable and the story was very predictable. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't need to see it again.

We had big plans for the next day, so we called it a night.

Day 12 Stats
Distance: 5.1 miles
Steps: 11848
Flights: 23

Up next: Day 13! The day with the kangaroos!

Rista1313

Day 12, cont.

We headed back to the car to begin the drive back to Sasebo. I got a hot bottled tea from a vending machine.

tumblr_pkslzgaAoL1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

We passed this on the way:

tumblr_pkslzg5ZOx1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

LOL

We had plans to see a movie at the cinema on base. We needed a quick dinner so we decided to go to the food court on base.

tumblr_pkslzhTHBi1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Taco Bell! TB is one of the more vegetarian-friendly fast food places out there.

tumblr_pkslzhsQJa1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Fries and a biscuit from Popeye's. So healthy, lol

We then went to the theater and saw Mary Poppins Returns. If you liked it, don't hate me...but I didn't care for it. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't do anything for me. The music was not memorable and the story was very predictable. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't need to see it again.

We had big plans for the next day, so we called it a night.

Day 12 Stats
Distance: 5.1 miles
Steps: 11848
Flights: 23

Up next: Day 13! The day with the kangaroos!

Respectfully disagreeing about the music not being memorable! I liked it, but I was not crazy about the male lead.

bee

Original Poster
Day 13: Saturday, December 29

This morning as we were getting dressed, I heard an, "ow!" from M. Something had stabbed her in the foot. She took off the sock she'd just put on and pulled out:

tumblr_pksm8avDFi1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

...a bee earring!

Before the trip I misplaced the two pairs of studs I wear almost every day (I have two holes in each ear). I found one complete pair (some little flowers) but could only find one of my bees. We looked EVERYWHERE and couldn't find it. I only brought the flowers and wore those the entire trip. But SOMEHOW, this other bee got into M's sock and made it to Japan with us! 🤦

J had the day off since it was Saturday but he decided to stay home and relax instead of going on today's adventure with us. Which was totally understandable since he had been living with two extra crazy women for a week! So, S drove us toward a nearby shrine.

tumblr_pksm8aIoco1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksm8b2RvZ1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

She didn't know exactly how to get there, but she told us to look for a HUGE Torii gate and we'd know we were ther.

tumblr_pksm8bzxFT1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Looks huge to me!!

tumblr_pksm8czBO21qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksm8d0FiO1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksm8eaPJO1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

That's me for reference. I am 5'5" and wearing boots with a 1 or 1.5 inch heel.

We met up with some of S's friends and all walked along the path toward the shrine together.

tumblr_pksm8dl0E31qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksm8fIhBk1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksvuffhU11qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksvugR2Vw1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

This appeared to be offices of some kind.

tumblr_pksvuhXMfl1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksvuiQ92c1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksvuji8Tp1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksvujs8eX1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pksvukW1fR1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: the shrine itself!

bee

Original Poster
Such pretty pictures. Love the tree colors!
Thank you!

That was a big spider!
Haha, yes! Side note: at my teaching job I have become known as the go-to for getting rid of spiders because everyone else is too afraid to do anything but run away.

Yeah! Bee should have stood next to that for size reference!!!
If only I'd thought of that!

Wow this looks exactly as my home country. This is a mill in my city of Delft (old picture, look at the cars ;))

View attachment 357114

Thanks for the share :)
Thanks for sharing the windmill photo! There were quite a few European-style structures in the area.

bee

Original Poster
Sorry this report is taking me forever! Life has been crazy! I've taken on a bunch of new students in a short amount of time, and I'm preparing for a new opera role to be performed next month, so I am working way more than usual with very few breaks. And because I'm just a crazy person who can't sit still, I've also started a Disney podcast with my brother, who incidentally is moving back to Florida this week so I'll probably be seeing both him and the Mouse more over the next year. At this rate I'll be back in WDW before I finish this report! 😝

Day 13, cont.

After a short drive we arrived at Nagasaki BioPark.

tumblr_pkuek6MnHo1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuek7tZ3q1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

At 1700 yen per person, this was the most expensive admission fee we paid (besides Disney of course). Still, that's way less than American zoos charge.

tumblr_pkuek7wWnD1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Throughout the park each exhibit had a little cartoon girl mascot dressed like the corresponding animal. I thought the drawings were a little weird for the setting, but I guess the Japanese don't agree?

tumblr_pkuek8btyv1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

These guys were out in the parking lot.

tumblr_pkuek9Ft3t1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Also in the parking lot

tumblr_pkuekaJYQk1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Here we entered the park.

tumblr_pkuekaFXYO1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Throughout the park most signs were in several languages including English.

Near the entrance was this river with a house of monkeys built in the middle, and an aggressive swan swimming in the water.

tumblr_pkuekbQrCW1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuen6bzfX1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuen5XVwa1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuekcGZGR1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuekdtjTl1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

After we saw everything at the main entrance, we began walking along the main path, which took us by all the major exhibits. It involved some more climbing, though nothing like what we'd done for Monkey Mountain and Mount Inari!!

tumblr_pkuen6hLLU1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuen7ZMtt1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Up next: More animals!

bee

Original Poster
Day 13, cont.

tumblr_pkuen86H921qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuen9Gsiq1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuenatuSx1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuenaIbnC1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Lots of the animals were out in the open where humans could feed and interact with them. I guess the Bio Park is like a hybrid zoo/petting zoo. The guys in the photo above were not in the mood to interact with humans! They only wanted sun! I should mention today was quite chilly, despite being mostly sunny with a few fluffy white clouds.

tumblr_pkuesoum531qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuespK8Fm1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuespVl0I1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

Some were very curious!

tumblr_pkuesq1EAy1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuesqPN9Q1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

tumblr_pkuesruDel1qhyy8p_1280.jpg

WE WANT SUN!

Up next: My favorite part of the park!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom