Trip Report **COMPLETED** A (Love) Bug's Life

Hi everyone!
Happy Mother's Day!!!
We just got back from Disney yesterday and it is cold and raining here so seems like a good time to start our TR!

Who?
My Mom (Mary), my Dad (Jeff) and myself (Megan)
This photo is from our trip last year
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_411283267906.jpg

Where?
Grand Floridian - aside from a very brief stay at the Poly during a race weekend my Dad has never stayed at a Deluxe. So, with a nice AP discount we let him pick any place he wanted and he decided on the Grand :)

When?
May 3 - 11, 2019

Why?
No big reason - we usually go around this time every year to help with the depression of the never ending winter here at home (and its still cold BTW...)

The title?
We have seen love bugs before but we have NEVER seen this many. I know they don't bite or anything but they were everywhere and at times the amount of them was just disgusting. We could not even sit on our balcony and if we were by the pool the only place they did not bother us was in the water. Ew :grumpy::hungover: This is the very reason I do not live in Florida...bugs.

Day 1 May 3, 2019
Our flight was pretty early so I got up at like 2:20 am 😴
My parents picked me up just before 3 and we were on our way! I ALWAYS email Southwest to ask what time their counters open and this time I forgot. So, we got there at 3:20 and it was not open...whoops 🤪
zp7Bq5CnSoS2DHy3yZzfAA.jpg

Everyone was lined up in the full service line but we waited by the self tag kiosks and we ended up being the first ones done with our luggage. Since it was so early the TSA pre-check line was not open yet so we had to go through regular security which is only annoying when you have have a computer and an iPad to drag out :hilarious:
DSC_0412.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

Be prepared for my Dad not cooperating for photos :p
DSC_0414.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

GuLhiYrjSMmcp8ZZKuwgkA.jpg

Around 4 am the food places open so we grabbed a bagel
fullsizeoutput_2fd4.jpeg

I spy our plane
DSC_0422.JPG

The time flew by at the airport and very quickly we were boarding the plane! Our flight was on time for once!
Gang is all here..
DSC_0423.JPG

Next up: more travel

LeighM

I bought that Jessica shirt because I love all things retro and it wasn't the typical Disney shirt. But the medium was too large and the small was too small. I suspected the medium would shrink in the wash, which could've made it too small depending on how it shrunk. The large probably wouldn't have shrunk enough LOL. So I returned the shirt :joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I’ve been marathon reading your report on my 3 hour road trip, finally caught up. Excellent TR! Also, I’ve made the same mistake and tried to get on dumbo when only one side was running, but I bailed before we ever got on! Lol

We should have left but I feel like that line is awkward to back track out of and we realized it too late :hilarious: Thanks for reading!

I bought that Jessica shirt because I love all things retro and it wasn't the typical Disney shirt. But the medium was too large and the small was too small. I suspected the medium would shrink in the wash, which could've made it too small depending on how it shrunk. The large probably wouldn't have shrunk enough LOL. So I returned the shirt :joyfull:

:hilarious: That sounds like typical Disney sizing though

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
IMG_3239.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

Well our next FP was for Space Mountain and that was closed too so we decided to just head out and skip the last FP for Splash Mountain.
Solo PP pic on the way out at my Mom's request
424711122.jpeg

We took the boat back to the GF
All these black dots are love bugs :depressed:
IMG_3254.JPG

Back to the GF we quickly got changed into swimming stuff and headed down to the bus stop for...Typhoon Lagoon!
You no longer have to transfer buses which is nice - one took us right there!
Along the way I saw this...
IMG_3258.JPG

Yep...Slash Mountain shut down too :cautious: I am glad we did not end up staying!
When we got my Dad's AP we elected for the version with the Water Parks so we determined to get some use out of it :)
IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

We were hungry so we stopped to drop our stuff off at some open chairs then headed to Leaning Palms
My Mom and I shared chicken nuggets
IMG_3266.JPG

And my Dad had the Jerk Chicken Cobb salad
IMG_3267.JPG

It was all very good!

Next up: more TL

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
Our first attraction was Miss Adventure Falls
We only waited about 10 minutes which I thought was good for it being midday
Had no idea the (wrong) time stamp was on my new waterproof camera for a bit :joyfull:
DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0014.JPG

DSCF0016.JPG

I got yelled at on this for not holding on...I was clearly holding on with one hand which is the only requirement. I got called out on the overhead speaker and I was like what - and kept pointing with my camera hand to the hand that I am holding onto the raft with :banghead: There is a CM at the top and I showed her too and she laughed and said I was fine but I was so embarrassed :arghh:
Anyway, after our ride we headed to the lazy man to get us over to some more slides
DSCF0022.JPG

DSCF0023.JPG

fullsizeoutput_32aa.jpeg

DSCF0022.JPG

DSCF0023.JPG

DSCF0027.JPG

Next up: more TL

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
DSCF0028.JPG

DSCF0029.JPG

Our first slide up was Keelhaul Falls
DSCF0030.JPG

DSCF0031.JPG

DSCF0033.JPG

DSCF0035.JPG

After this we did May Day falls.
Here's another Dad's don't listen moment. I said to my Dad before the slides "are you sure you want to bring your sunglasses with you? (they are prescriptIon)" He said they will be fine. Well I am going down May Day falls which is a bit chaotic and freaking out a bit thinking about my Dad's glasses. Sure enough I watch him come down and I see his glasses case fall out of his pocket and I scream to him about it but he doesn't hear me until its too late and also can not see without glasses to look for it :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
So we asked the lifeguard about it and he called someone but he said it could take hours so my Dad should just file a report. My Dad did that while my Mom and I took a break (AKA stressed out about it). He came back and said they will call him. My parents spent some time in the Wave Pool after this. I joined them after doing some work but was having a hard time enjoying myself because I was super stressed about a patient of mine and my Dad's sunglasses so eventually we ended up leaving (well also I totally missed the waves and they were on a very long hiatus). I have been much better handling stress these days (or consciously trying too) but the combo of those 2 things put me in over drive. On the way out my Dad gave them his number once more and we took a bus back to the GF (which is long because there are 3 stops instead of 2).

Next up: MK

Loco_driver

We should have left but I feel like that line is awkward to back track out of and we realized it too late :hilarious:

Just get the largest person in you group to make a crazy face and plow through all those children! That’s what we did! This also works well during the post fireworks rush if the person can look menacing enough!!🤪

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I love your MK outfit you look great.

Thank you!

Just get the largest person in you group to make a crazy face and plow through all those children! That’s what we did! This also works well during the post fireworks rush if the person can look menacing enough!!🤪

:joyfull::joyfull:
Well...its usually my Mom and I and I'm 5"1 and she's 5"4 so not sure it would work for us :hilarious::hilarious:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
Back at the Grand Floridian we took a small break and headed back the MK so we could do all the FPs we missed in the AM
IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

425094418.jpeg

The first thing we did was mail my nephew a post card "from Mickey"
IMG_3272.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

Our first attraction was 7DMT
IMG_3274.JPG

Apparently I am the only one who rode it
425082920.jpeg

Then we headed over to Space Mountain
IMG_3275.JPG

My Dad elected to stay off - he said he does not really enjoy Space Mountain anymore ( :eek: )
This CM was legit sleeping until the phone rang and woke him up :oops:
IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3280.JPG

Next up: more MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
425102070.jpeg

After our ride we headed over towards our dinner spot
But first...a machine in a moat
DSC_0042.JPG

And a castle photo from afar
DSC_0047.JPG

Anyway, we actually planned on eating at The Plaza for dinner later in the week but I moved it to this day just in case we wanted to do something else later.
IMG_3287.JPG

This was my Dad's first time eating at The Plaza and a dinner first for my Mom and I (We only have had breakfast there).
IMG_3288.JPG

We were seated in the sun room which was nice
IMG_3289.JPG

I forget our waiter's name but he was not very friendly and we were afraid to ask for anything :hilarious: In the end he turned out fine, though, maybe he was just stressed.
We started off with the Plaza Loaded Fries (French Fries topped with Melted Cheese, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Ranch Dressing)
IMG_3291.JPG

While we were waiting for our entrees my Dad's phone rang. I don't think I have ever heard my Dad's phone ring in my entire life :hilarious: It was Typhoon Lagoon - they found his sunglasses! Woohoo! He told them he would pick them up since we were planning on going back in 2 days anyway :)
For entrees: My Mom and I shared the Baked Honey-Barbecued Brisket Macaroni & Cheese
We got the brisket on the side (which we were afraid to ask for :hilarious:) because my Mom is not a big meat eater so we figured this would work out better for her
IMG_3292.JPG

And my Dad got the Vegetarian Bangers and Mash (Two Plant-based Bratwurst Sausages served over Garlic-Mashed Potatoes, topped with Caramelized Onions, Creamy Mushroom Gravy, and served with a side of tender Broccolini)
IMG_3293.JPG

Everything was delicious!! The picture of the Mac and cheese looks a bit gross but it was SO good and creamy. The brisket was really tasty too - even my Mom tried some and liked it although my Dad and I ate most of it. My Dad's was good too...except the Broccolini which tasted weird :joyfull:

Next up: finishing up dinner

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
I was super on the fence about ordering ice cream but my Dad said he saw some sundaes and they did not look that big so just order one.
He lied...they were big (for me) :hilarious:
My Mom and I both got the Plaza Sundae - mine was mint chocolate chip and hers was vanilla and chocolate.
IMG_3294.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

I barely made a dent but it was good!
Oh wait I just remembered our waiters name it was Mike - I remembered because we referred to him as mean Mike :hilarious:
After dinner we headed towards Tomorrowland
Purple Rock photo
IMG_3298.JPG

We elected to use our final FP for Buzz instead of Splash Mountain. What can I say...my entire family is obsessed with Buzz
So I rode with my Dad and something amazing happened
IMG_3301.JPG

GALACTIC HERO!
This was the first time I ever got it without the ride stopping. I was so proud of myself. My Dad had no clue what was happening I think :)
425185300.jpeg

425185322.jpeg

I was in solidarity with my Dad for not having sunglasses (well secretly I did not tell him I was doing that haha) so super squint in this photo
IMG_3305.JPG

IMG_3306.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

Next up: more MK

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
Peoplemover was up next
IMG_3310.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

I picked up a FP for the Teacups so we headed there next
My Dad skipped this one too since he does not do well with spin rides
IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

My Dad took this photo which is just so typical of my poor Mom and I :hilarious: Always doin' it for the 'gram.
IMG_3315.JPG

After our ride we headed out of the park. We did want to watch fireworks so we grabbed a small snack from the lounge (this is why my Mom and I said we can never stay club level again we eat too much !!) and out to watch fireworks.
These cream puffs and mini cheesecakes were SO good
IMG_3320.JPG

There was a special event at the resort (a conference) so they blocked off some spots for fireworks but waited until the last minute to do it so it was awkward. Some woman refused to move which was funny to watch. Anyway...we stayed to the side and enjoyed the fireworks before bed!

Next up: Day 6

Yelloweaver

Day 2 continued
View attachment 373151
My Dad loved it!! (As did we obviously)
We decided to wait for TSM next. The wait was listed as an hour but Touring Plans said it was less than that and my Dad said let's do it so we did! We go way more than my Dad so my Mom and I were very much so go with the flow :)
View attachment 373153
View attachment 373154
View attachment 373155
View attachment 373152
View attachment 373156
Anyway...we ended up actually waiting almost an hour (I can't tell you the last time I waited an hour for anything 🤪) and then this happened....
View attachment 373157
The ride shut down :banghead:
Thankfully it was only for about 5 minutes and we were on!
View attachment 373158
View attachment 373159
We missed our Aerosmith FP while we were in line but we were OK with it because we had fun and Aerosmith is not our favorite anymore *due to headache potential 😁

Next up: more HS

According to cast members, row 5 is the row you want to avoid getting banged around too much.

susan lees

Day 5 continued
View attachment 378057
After our ride we headed over towards our dinner spot
But first...a machine in a moat
View attachment 378056
And a castle photo from afar
View attachment 378061
Anyway, we actually planned on eating at The Plaza for dinner later in the week but I moved it to this day just in case we wanted to do something else later.
View attachment 378058
This was my Dad's first time eating at The Plaza and a dinner first for my Mom and I (We only have had breakfast there).
View attachment 378059
We were seated in the sun room which was nice
View attachment 378060
I forget our waiter's name but he was not very friendly and we were afraid to ask for anything :hilarious: In the end he turned out fine, though, maybe he was just stressed.
We started off with the Plaza Loaded Fries (French Fries topped with Melted Cheese, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Ranch Dressing)
View attachment 378064
While we were waiting for our entrees my Dad's phone rang. I don't think I have ever heard my Dad's phone ring in my entire life :hilarious: It was Typhoon Lagoon - they found his sunglasses! Woohoo! He told them he would pick them up since we were planning on going back in 2 days anyway :)
For entrees: My Mom and I shared the Baked Honey-Barbecued Brisket Macaroni & Cheese
We got the brisket on the side (which we were afraid to ask for :hilarious:) because my Mom is not a big meat eater so we figured this would work out better for her
View attachment 378065
And my Dad got the Vegetarian Bangers and Mash (Two Plant-based Bratwurst Sausages served over Garlic-Mashed Potatoes, topped with Caramelized Onions, Creamy Mushroom Gravy, and served with a side of tender Broccolini)
View attachment 378066
Everything was delicious!! The picture of the Mac and cheese looks a bit gross but it was SO good and creamy. The brisket was really tasty too - even my Mom tried some and liked it although my Dad and I ate most of it. My Dad's was good too...except the Broccolini which tasted weird :joyfull:

Next up: finishing up dinner
I hate broccolini or tender stem as it's known in UK 😵. The Mac and cheese looks good to me. Hungry now lol.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
According to cast members, row 5 is the row you want to avoid getting banged around too much.

Ohhh...good to know! I wonder if it would annoying to request that row !

I hate broccolini or tender stem as it's known in UK 😵. The Mac and cheese looks good to me. Hungry now lol.

Looking at again it does not look that bad :joyfull: But I am also hungry

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom