Trip Report **COMPLETED** A (Love) Bug's Life

Hi everyone!
Happy Mother's Day!!!
We just got back from Disney yesterday and it is cold and raining here so seems like a good time to start our TR!

Who?
My Mom (Mary), my Dad (Jeff) and myself (Megan)
This photo is from our trip last year
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_411283267906.jpg

Where?
Grand Floridian - aside from a very brief stay at the Poly during a race weekend my Dad has never stayed at a Deluxe. So, with a nice AP discount we let him pick any place he wanted and he decided on the Grand :)

When?
May 3 - 11, 2019

Why?
No big reason - we usually go around this time every year to help with the depression of the never ending winter here at home (and its still cold BTW...)

The title?
We have seen love bugs before but we have NEVER seen this many. I know they don't bite or anything but they were everywhere and at times the amount of them was just disgusting. We could not even sit on our balcony and if we were by the pool the only place they did not bother us was in the water. Ew :grumpy::hungover: This is the very reason I do not live in Florida...bugs.

Day 1 May 3, 2019
Our flight was pretty early so I got up at like 2:20 am 😴
My parents picked me up just before 3 and we were on our way! I ALWAYS email Southwest to ask what time their counters open and this time I forgot. So, we got there at 3:20 and it was not open...whoops 🤪
zp7Bq5CnSoS2DHy3yZzfAA.jpg

Everyone was lined up in the full service line but we waited by the self tag kiosks and we ended up being the first ones done with our luggage. Since it was so early the TSA pre-check line was not open yet so we had to go through regular security which is only annoying when you have have a computer and an iPad to drag out :hilarious:
DSC_0412.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

Be prepared for my Dad not cooperating for photos :p
DSC_0414.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

GuLhiYrjSMmcp8ZZKuwgkA.jpg

Around 4 am the food places open so we grabbed a bagel
fullsizeoutput_2fd4.jpeg

I spy our plane
DSC_0422.JPG

The time flew by at the airport and very quickly we were boarding the plane! Our flight was on time for once!
Gang is all here..
DSC_0423.JPG

Next up: more travel

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
Hall of President's selfie
IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

DSC_0502.JPG

As soon as we got out of the show they were setting up for the Muppets so we stopped to watch. We alwaysssss get the Declaration of Independence but we still enjoyed the show.
DSC_0506.JPG
DSC_0509.JPG

DSC_0510.JPG

Then we headed to our final FP - BTMR!
DSC_0515.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

After our ride we headed towards dinner but popped into Country Bear Jamboree along the way.
DSC_0516.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

We JUST missed a show unfortunately so we sat inside for a few minutes then decided to leave so we did not cut it too close.

Next up: more MK

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
We were eating old people dinner (aka 3:30 pm dinner - aka practically lunch- in my house we call it "old people dinner" when we eat dinner early even though we do it quite frequently 🤣 ) so we saw some of the Festival of Fantasy parade along the way. I distinctly remember this being the first time where the love bugs where really out in full force. :hungover:
DSC_0518.JPG

DSC_0519.JPG

DSC_0520.JPG

DSC_0526.JPG

DSC_0528.JPG

DSC_0530.JPG

Then we checked in for dinner at ....
DSC_0499.JPG

Liberty Tree Tavern! This was my Dad's first visit so I was excited!
DSC_0537.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

Next up: more dinner

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
Salad and rolls to start
IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

We were seated in the George and Martha room
IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

Pot roast and mashed potatoes
IMG_2871.JPG

Mac and cheese
IMG_2872.JPG

Turkey and stuffing
IMG_2873.JPG

Pork and green beans
IMG_2874.JPG

Then dessert time: Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake, Warm Banana Cake and Apple Fritters
IMG_2875.JPG

Yum! Everything was delicious as usual - especially the mac and cheese which is usually hit or miss for us! My Dad really liked it and said he would go back!

Next up: finishing off the day

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
We headed back to GF so we could unpack and relax a bit.
We did head down to the pool for a bit but the love bugs were AWFUL. I was hoping Disney found a magical way to get rid of them by the pool but no luck.
IMG_2877.JPG

At least they did not bother us in the water
IMG_2880.JPG

So that is where I read my book :joyfull:
IMG_2881.JPG

fullsizeoutput_31a0.jpeg

After our pool time we headed to the lounge and got a few snacks because we .... didn't just eat dinner?
Meatballs, some sort of rueben something
IMG_2883.JPG

Cheese, bread, one cucumber :hilarious:
IMG_2885.JPG

We did head to the main lobby to listen to some music. The band plays downstairs right now due to the construction for the new bar.
IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

Then we wandered back to the room and to turn down :)
fullsizeoutput_31a1.jpeg

We got an itinerary with our Fast Passes for the next day which I thought was cool. @Tuvalu said it was standard for club level but I ever got it before :)
fullsizeoutput_319f.jpeg

Anyway we were exhausted so we went to bed early :)

Next up: Day 2

StitchSNK

Following along! Always love your trip reports! I love that the FP+ itinerary is printed for you at club level! If you scrapbook, it's a great memento.

NothatDonald

Day 1 continued
View attachment 372168
View attachment 372170

It was finally time for our first FP so we headed to the HM!
View attachment 372180
View attachment 372181
View attachment 372183
View attachment 372182
My photo did not show up..
View attachment 372184
After HM we sat down for a few minutes. I ended up changing our dinner plans to 3:30 at this point because we were fading a bit fast since we got up so early :)
I like this little skull :)
View attachment 372186
View attachment 372187

That little skull is actually one of the interactive clues in the Pirates Treasure hunt!

Dave B

Day 1 continued
Then it was time for POTC
View attachment 372235
I got yelled at for taking this que photo because I accidentally used a flash :facepalm:
View attachment 372239
View attachment 372240
View attachment 372241
View attachment 372242
View attachment 372243
View attachment 372245
View attachment 372246
We decided to go to Hall of Presidents next since my Dad did not see the new version yet and an inside attraction seemed nice :)
View attachment 372247
View attachment 372248

Did you get the announcement or did someone in your boat say something?

sheriffwoody

We got that itinerary too at the beach club. I wasn't sure how it was helpful since we use the app so much, but I guess we could have taken it with us to the parks in case the app wasn't working. The extra info like the weather was pretty cool though!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Day 1 continued
View attachment 372137
All 3 of us thought it was really good - a bit sweet but the raspberry part was especially great! I think I may be over my hatred for Dole Whips!
However, it melted suppppperrr fast ----
View attachment 372138
:hilarious::hilarious: Up here in Buffalo you have plenty of time to eat ice cream before it melts 😁
We then took photos with an actual Hei Hei and pretended like it was ice cream 🤪
View attachment 372139
View attachment 372140
View attachment 372141
We are weird...
We still had some time before our first FP so we headed back over towards Tomorrowland
Tried to get into Club 33...
View attachment 372142
Then we took some purple wall photos...
View attachment 372143
View attachment 372144
My Dad was fooling around but I feel like this picture ended up turning out super cute :happy:
View attachment 372145

Next up: Tomorrowland

They were swirling the Hei Hei cone the week before when we were there cause the top flavor kept plopping off.

We tried the 33 Club at the Studios. ;)

And the earliest I ever hit WDW via SW airlines was 8:30! and I thought that was awesome.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'm really enjoying the photos of your Mom and Dad, something from your reports I don't see as often.

I love your Mickey Sleeveless shirt. May I ask where you found that one? Too Cute!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Did you get the announcement or did someone in your boat say something?

No I was not on the ride (I would never do that) I was just walking through the que and a CM said something

We got that itinerary too at the beach club. I wasn't sure how it was helpful since we use the app so much, but I guess we could have taken it with us to the parks in case the app wasn't working. The extra info like the weather was pretty cool though!

Right ...It was not super helpful but it was a nice touch. Especially for people who a. did not plan their own trip and let club level do it or b. people who do not use the app (aka my parents....:hilarious: )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom