Company Wants to Use my Photo-Watermark?

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
So a company wants to use a photo I took. I don't think I'm going to ask for compensation, but I'd like to maybe have a watermark/logo on it at a corner or something. I don't know how to design anything like that. Is it something I can do in Photoshop?

afb28

So a company wants to use a photo I took. I don't think I'm going to ask for compensation, but I'd like to maybe have a watermark/logo on it at a corner or something. I don't know how to design anything like that. Is it something I can do in Photoshop?
You probably want to ask them about if it should/shouldnt have a watermark. Usually if a company is going to use it, you give them a single license/usage for the image and whatever fee you feel is appropriate. And typically if they are paying, it shouldn't be watermarked and they may just say "photo credit: name".

As far as making a watermark, usually something just like your name or your site should do just fine. Just create a new layer in photoshop and use the Text tool then adjust the opacity of that layer so it's semi-see through and not overly distracting.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
If I were to ask for payment what's reasonable? Think they want to use in their facebook page, website, and maybe some brochures and they are small tour company. I'm a total amateur. Honestly never thought anyone would want to use one of my images for something like that.

fractal

If I were to ask for payment what's reasonable? Think they want to use in their facebook page, website, and maybe some brochures and they are small tour company. I'm a total amateur. Honestly never thought anyone would want to use one of my images for something like that.

First off, congrats!

I'm thinking $250 - $500 for use of the photo, but I think there are some pros lurking here that may be able to offer better insight.

Jahona

Usual stock photography fee for a royalty free photo is between $250 and $300. If I have to do photography for a client I usually charge $250 per photo.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
Thanks! I will test the waters, but I'm honestly not looking to be compensated. It's definitely one of my better photos, but I think it's far from professional.

afb28

Thanks! I will test the waters, but I'm honestly not looking to be compensated. It's definitely one of my better photos, but I think it's far from professional.
$250 is generally the norm if they are using it to promote something.

I'd probably approach the conversation with two options: 1) it can be had with no watermark and just a small blurb of photo credit for say $250 or 2) It'll be watermarked and cannot be removed for free (or you can say like $75 if you want something out of it).

mousehockey37

I've often wondered about this. I have decent Disney vacation photos, but yeah, anyone and everyone photos Disney, lol. However, I've been told by very credible sources in the sporting world that my photos are phenomenal (they've been around this sport for well over 25+ years and have seen it all) and that I should submit stuff to magazines and such.

I honestly have no clue where to start, nor did I ever expect anything to come of me just taking pictures, lol. That said, I have no idea as to the submission side of things and where the compensation enters the picture (haha no pun intended).

afb28

I've often wondered about this. I have decent Disney vacation photos, but yeah, anyone and everyone photos Disney, lol. However, I've been told by very credible sources in the sporting world that my photos are phenomenal (they've been around this sport for well over 25+ years and have seen it all) and that I should submit stuff to magazines and such.

I honestly have no clue where to start, nor did I ever expect anything to come of me just taking pictures, lol. That said, I have no idea as to the submission side of things and where the compensation enters the picture (haha no pun intended).
Sports are a lot tougher. Usually you work for a publication like a newspaper or magazine and are contracted on a game to game basis since most places have gotten rid of staff photographers. Or you can be part of AP or Getty.

I thought someone on here was a sports photographer but I could be wrong.

PhotoDave219

Sports are a lot tougher. Usually you work for a publication like a newspaper or magazine and are contracted on a game to game basis since most places have gotten rid of staff photographers. Or you can be part of AP or Getty.

I thought someone on here was a sports photographer but I could be wrong.

That would be me.

PhotoDave219

$250 is generally the norm if they are using it to promote something.

I'd probably approach the conversation with two options: 1) it can be had with no watermark and just a small blurb of photo credit for say $250 or 2) It'll be watermarked and cannot be removed for free (or you can say like $75 if you want something out of it).

$200-250 is the normal day rate for AP & Reuters. Getty used to be around $300. USA Today Sports pays $125. All give you 50/50 on resales. All pay expenses (within reason) except USAT. My cut of a SI for Kids photo sale was under $200, much to my dismay. (Superbowl MVP parade at Disney, FWIW)

Hell, even my local paper pays $75/assignment. (The amount of effort that I put forth is proportional to the pay in those instances)

It really goes into how the photo is used. Bigger play, bigger usage, more money you should ask for.

Having dealt with stock photography and professional photo shoots, you would be surprised.

You have no idea how much I despise some of those stock photographer..... or maybe you can guess.

First off, congrats!

I'm thinking $250 - $500 for use of the photo, but I think there are some pros lurking here that may be able to offer better insight.

Depends on usage but thats a fair estimate. You can always negotiate.

The point I want to make to anyone & everyone is that the minute you accept a low price, you'll be known as the guy who's willing to accept the low price. If you give it away for free, they're always going to expect free.

Photography has value and worth. Its usage should be compensated for.

/soapbox

thomas998

Others have given you good advice on how much to ask and such... but I would ask you this one question... Does the photo show anyone that is identifiable? If it does then you really need a release from that person if you are going to use the photo for commercial purposes or you risk getting sued by the person in the photo.

PhotoDave219

Others have given you good advice on how much to ask and such... but I would ask you this one question... Does the photo show anyone that is identifiable? If it does then you really need a release from that person if you are going to use the photo for commercial purposes or you risk getting sued by the person in the photo.

Good point.

Lyman

If this is a picture taken in Disney parks you will have to get permission from Disney before you can sell/distribute the photos.

You own the copy right but you were standing on their property and this gives them control of the photo. If you were on public land you can use it. Anyplace you are standing in the park(s) you are on their property.

This is how crazy it is, for example you see a house you want to take a picture of. If you are standing on the side wall/street you can do anything with it, however stand on the lawn and take that picture gives the owner control of how that picture is used.

Take a picture of a trademark they will never give you permission and come after you. In order to keep the trademark they have to protect it. They may give you permission but you'll never afford their price

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom