Comic Rodney Dangerfield Dies at Age 82

TTATraveler

Original Poster
Comic Rodney Dangerfield Dies at Age 82

LOS ANGELES - Rodney Dangerfield (news), the bug-eyed comic whose self-deprecating one-liners brought him stardom in clubs, television and movies and made his lament "I don't get no respect" a catchphrase, died Tuesday. He was 82.

Dangerfield, who fell into a coma after undergoing heart surgery, died at 1:20 p.m., said publicist Kevin Sasaki. Dangerfield had a heart valve replaced Aug. 25 at the University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center.

Sasaki said in a statement that Dangerfield suffered a small stroke after the operation and developed infectious and abdominal complications. But in the past week he had emerged from the coma, the publicist said.

Clad in a black suit, red tie and white shirt with collar that seemed too tight, Dangerfield convulsed audiences with lines such as: "When I was born, I was so ugly that the doctor slapped my mother," "When I started in show business, I played one club that was so far out my act was reviewed in Field and Stream," and "Every time I get in an elevator, the operator says the same thing to me: `Basement?'"

In a 1986 interview, he explained the origin of his "respect" trademark:

"I had this joke: `I played hide and seek; they wouldn't even look for me.' To make it work better, you look for something to put in front of it: I was so poor, I was so dumb, so this, so that. I thought, `Now what fits that joke?' Well, `No one liked me' was all right. But then I thought, a more profound thing would be, `I get no respect.'"

Dangerfield is survived by his wife, Joan, and two children from a previous marriage.

Another comedic legend is no longer with us. :(

CrackerJack

My proctologist ... he stuck his finger in my mouth :lol:

I get no respect !!

Time to show him some respect .. with a "Back to School" and "Caddyshack" marathon ....

Tramp

One last show of respect

R.I.P. Mr. Dangerfield and thank you for the many years of gut-bustin' belly laughs! :(
241217.jpg

darthdarrel

RIP Mr. Dangerfield! :(
I guess the saying holds true. one is born one dies. My new nephew was born at
12:30 one hour before Rodney died.

TAC

Dr. Vinneyboombots,

You will definitely be missed.

His young comedian shows from his club Dangerfields on HBO made me roll on the floor laughing. Many of the comedians today got their start there. I was lucky enough to be there and see his show a few times, and Rodney would just go on and on.

A very sad day indeed. :(

Foolish Mortal

My wife, i'll tell ya.....I found a guy jogging naked outside my house, I asked him why....he said "because you came home early". Thanks for the laughs Rodney.

TAC

In Rememberance...

"Hey Lady, is that your son?"

"Yes Why?"

"Now I know why tigers eat their young."

------

"I went to the my doctor, you know my doctor, Dr. Vinneyvoombots. He said I'm crazy."

"I told him I wanted a second opinion."

"He said, 'alright, you're ugly too."

_____

"I got into a cab and told the driver, 'Take me to where the action is."

"He took me to my house."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom