News Comic-con Canceled= Little hope for Disney??

Darkbeer1

Comic-Con was cancelled since many international businesses pulled out, as has Domestic Companies who don't have the funds to set up their booths,

Comic-Con is a Large Business Convention, and is not related to Theme Parks, except the fact some Theme Park Companies advertised there.

An Apple to Potatoes comparison

Phroobar

San Diego Comic-con is such a pain in the to go to. It's far too crowded to make it enjoyable. I prefer WonderCon at Anaheim (easter weekend) since it is smaller and the convention center can handle it better. Too bad we missed it this year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
San Diego Comic-con is such a pain in the *** to go to. It's far too crowded to make it enjoyable. I prefer WonderCon at Anaheim (easter weekend) since it is smaller and the convention center can handle it better. Too bad we missed it this year.
Well New York Comic-Con is in a holding pattern for October as well...

...could be because the site is currently a hospital 🤔

George Lucas on a Bench

I would possibly classify it as something different than Disney's situation. It's an international event for starters and Hollyweird also has a lot of pull there these days and considering everything on their end has been shut down or delayed save for God awful renditions of "Imagine" or Arnold telling us to stay home while smoking cigars in his hot tub, it's not viable at this time.

Phroobar

I'd further say that a majority of people who attend aren't even there for anything comic book related.
That is very true. The press has made it all things geek. All coming fantasy/sci fi movies are presented there. Cosplayers are everywhere. Lots of collectibles for sale. You even get lots of video games. Very little of it is comic book related anymore. Wondercon is a lot more comic book pure.

TP2000

Well New York Comic-Con is in a holding pattern for October as well...

...could be because the site is currently a hospital 🤔

The hospital at the Javits Center is still empty. So is the USS Comfort hospital ship docked in New York. They are still just waiting to take a surge from hospitals that never arrived, even in hard hit New York. So God bless 'em, the uniformed troops who were bored at the empty Javits Center are heading to regular hospitals to pitch in!

And that's important because as @Darkbeer said, these decisions to cancel conventions in late summer or fall are being based on financial decisions from the companies big and small who pay for exhibit space at these events. The small companies no longer have any money to do stuff like that, and the big companies are hoarding what money they do have left.

The current financial situation means a comic book convention is the very definition of "non-essential".

cmwade77

I highly doubt Disney could open anytime soon considering comic con, a LATE summer event, has been canceled.
For starters Comic-Con is entirely indoors, add in the international visitors that aren't going to be able to get into the country that are essential for this event and you start to have an idea of why Comic-Con would need to be cancelled.

Additionally, the San Diego convention center is considered an emergency overflow site in the event of a disaster, what would happen if they needed to use it for hospital overflow if it was being used for Comic-Con.

And there is the business end, the reality is Comic-Con, like most conventions is heavily dependent on vendors and the small vendors don't have the money, the large vendors have to keep what little money they have left to restart their businesses as soon as they can.

So, Comic-Con being cancelled had no correlation to Disney theme parks being able to reopen.

LOSTIE

Let's face it, modern day Comic Con relies on studio participation (and studio funds), things are up in the air, because of this, most studios will stay away from bad publicity of participating and most A-list talent will probably stay away for their own safety. This would have been a costly PR nightmare if the event decided to proceeded to go on. They needed to play safe and it was socially responsible to cancel the event this year. Comic-Con has less than a year to retune WonderCon and over a year to refine the San Diego event, it will be interesting how things will be in 2021.

As for Disney Parks, I say good luck to them. How do you create an overall safe environment when there's no working vaccine and no working therapy drugs? I did read the other day that dogs could be trained to sniff out coronavirus, I'd invest in that if I were Disney, but training these dogs will take at least a good year or so if they start the recruiting today. Does Disney sanitize rides every time guests get out of the omnimover? Does Disney make people sign a waivers to come into the park? Do you regulate 250 people to each land? So many logistical changes must be implemented to make it safe and lawsuit-proof.

truecoat

The hospital at the Javits Center is still empty. So is the USS Comfort hospital ship docked in New York. They are still just waiting to take a surge from hospitals that never arrived, even in hard hit New York. So God bless 'em, the uniformed troops who were bored at the empty Javits Center are heading to regular hospitals to pitch in!

That's great news! It means the precautions taken are working.

cmwade77

Let's face it, modern day Comic Con relies on studio participation (and studio funds), things are up in the air, because of this, most studios will stay away from bad publicity of participating and most A-list talent will probably stay away for their own safety. This would have been a costly PR nightmare if the event decided to proceeded to go on. They needed to play safe and it was socially responsible to cancel the event this year. Comic-Con has less than a year to retune WonderCon and over a year to refine the San Diego event, it will be interesting how things will be in 2021.

As for Disney Parks, I say good luck to them. How do you create an overall safe environment when there's no working vaccine and no working therapy drugs? I did read the other day that dogs could be trained to sniff out coronavirus, I'd invest in that if I were Disney, but training these dogs will take at least a good year or so if they start the recruiting today. Does Disney sanitize rides every time guests get out of the omnimover? Does Disney make people sign a waivers to come into the park? Do you regulate 250 people to each land? So many logistical changes must be implemented to make it safe and lawsuit-proof.
Actually, they have just been finding that UV light (i.e. blacklights, although sun is best) kills the virus.

That being said, Disney has no control over if people come to the parks while sick, technically they have absolutely no responsibility to check if anyone is sick. If they choose to take it upon themselves to do so, they can simply out up a sign that while they are taking all reasonable precautions, they cannot control the behavior of other people and you assume all inherit risks. In other words the same legal mumbo jumbo you agree to every time you enter the parks that has been held up as legal in court cases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom