Comcast in talks to buy Dreamworks Animation

Flippin'Flounder

GLaDOS

$3B is obscenely overpriced. There's no way DreamWorks is worth 75% of Lucasfilm or Marvel.

At the time Disney bought Marvel it wasn't what it is today, and I'd say the prices are about right. And Disney got an inside deal for Star Wars. George could have gotten WAY more money for it if he shopped it around.

Either way, Universal gets a powerful stable of family IPs. Considering they can leverage those IPs much better than DW could on their own, even if they over paid, they'll recoup their investment. Besides, it's not like they don't have the money.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

At the time Disney bought Marvel it wasn't what it is today, and I'd say the prices are about right. And Disney got an "inside baseball" deal for Star Wars. George could have gotten WAY more money for it if he shopped it around.

Either way, Universal gets a powerful stable of family IPs. Considering they can leverage those IPs much better than DW could on their own, even if they over paid, they'll recoup their investment. Besides, it's not like they don't have the money.
I guess. DreamWorks just feels so minor league to me. Their reputation is basically "like Pixar, only worse."

I also think it's a mistake to call them "family IP." I don't think they're "family IP" in the way that Pixar is family IP. DreamWorks is kids IP first and foremost.

GLaDOS

I guess. DreamWorks just feels so minor league to me. Their reputation is basically "like Pixar, only worse."

I mean, it's really freaking hard to be Pixar. There's only one.

I also think it's a mistake to call them "family IP." I don't think they're "family IP" in the way that Pixar is family IP. DreamWorks is kids IP first and foremost.

Disagree entirely. There are certainly aspects of DreamWorks that are on that scale, but I'd argue Dragons, Shrek, and Kung Fu Panda are things everyone can enjoy. The Dragons movies in particular are fantastic.

CaptainAmerica

Disagree entirely. There are certainly aspects of DreamWorks that are on that scale, but I'd argue Dragons, Shrek, and Kung Fu Panda are things everyone can enjoy. The Dragons movies in particular are fantastic.
I'm not really arguing the quality of the films, I'm arguing the value of the IP. Aside from Shrek, the other films you mentioned are extremely generic. I couldn't name a single character from Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, or Madagascar. Those films do fine at the box office but they haven't permeated the culture like Pixar or, since I know you don't like the Pixar comparison, Minions.

GLaDOS

I'm not really arguing the quality of the films, I'm arguing the value of the IP. Aside from Shrek, the other films you mentioned are extremely generic. I couldn't name a single character from Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, or Madagascar. Those films do fine at the box office but they haven't permeated the culture like Pixar or, since I know you don't like the Pixar comparison, Minions.

I would very much disagree, but to each their own.

maxairmike

King Julian and "I Like to Move It" would very much disagree. Madagascar is right below Shrek. Also, the penguins.

I can't speak to HTTYD or Kung Fu Panda, as they never have been interesting to me, but Madagascar is definitely a big IP.

GLaDOS

King Julian and "I Like to Move It" would very much disagree. Madagascar is right below Shrek. Also, the penguins.

I can't speak to HTTYD or Kung Fu Panda, as they never have been interesting to me, but Madagascar is definitely a big IP.

I'd argue Hiccup and Toothless from HTTYD are pretty big, with Dragons having comics, graphic novels, arena shows, and a Nick (now Netflix) show still running. Po from Kung Fu Panda as well.

Point is, the IP is nothing to sneeze at. No, it's not Pixar (nothing is), but it's still a good get.

CaptainAmerica

You kind of proved my point by saying "the penguins" and not "Skipper" or "Kawalski" (I had to Google that). That's like talking about Toy Story and saying "the toys" instead of "Buzz and Woody."

Ask any random person who "King Julian" is without mentioning DreamWorks or Madagascar beforehand and they'll have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Then ask the same person who "Lightning McQueen" is.

Point is, the IP is nothing to sneeze at. No, it's not Pixar (nothing is), but it's still a good get.
*Shrug." YMMV I guess, but Universal already has the Minions. They're already doing what DreamWorks does and arguably better. They could have developed comparable or superior IP in-house a lot cheaper than $3B.

GLaDOS

You kind of proved my point by saying "the penguins" and not "Skipper" or "Kawalski" (I had to Google that). That's like talking about Toy Story and saying "the toys" instead of "Buzz and Woody."

Ask any random person who "King Julian" is without mentioning DreamWorks or Madagascar beforehand and they'll have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Then ask the same person who "Lightning McQueen" is.

Again, I think you're confusing "Not Pixar" with "Not relevant"

CaptainAmerica

Again, I think you're confusing "Not Pixar" with "Not relevant"
Then replace "Pixar" with Minions, Batman, Luke Skywalker, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, James Bond, Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, Transformers. Pixar is just an easier rhetorical comparison to make since they're both in the same business.

I'm not saying DreamWorks is irrelevant, just that I don't think it's $3B relevant.

To me that's like saying Disney already had Marvel and Pixar, so why did they buy Star Wars?
Because Disney couldn't have developed Star Wars-caliber IP easily and cheaply. There were decades of dedicated fandom built in. Same reason WWoHP was a smart decision by Universal and why I'm on the fence about Avatar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom