College Program Criticism

ArielBelle

Original Poster
There was an interesting article in the Miami Herald today.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/12202039.htm

Myself, being both a college student and a Disney fanatic, contemplated the Disney College Program. But there were a lot of reasons I decided not to.. As much as I would love to work at Disney, cleaning up garbage/working foodservice isn't close to any type of experience I can take with me into the workforce. Besides meeting people, making connections, and being in the magic, there would be no job experience.

I don't know why they limit their "real" opportunities (whether in marketing, guest relations or other office jobs) to those students who already participated in the college program. Unfortunately, I only have one open semester to intern...so that option wouldn't work.

What do you all think of Disney basically using their college interns as a cheap alternative to full time/part time employees doing the same jobs? I'm not sure I understand why they limit an interns experience...

Are there any college program participants who have a different take on the story? It seems as if this article was sort of criticizing Disney's program...

The college program has its up and its downs. If you want to work for the company then it is a decent starting spot but at the same time, like you said, you are limited to what you can do. If you step back and look at it, it is a way for Disney to get cheap help for their staffing but at the same time, it is what you make of it. I still talk to some managers and directors from Disney and when I graduate college I will look for them to help me find a permanent position in the company.

Captain Hank

There are lots of cast members on here who have completed the college program and loved it. It really depends on what you're looking for out of the experience, and what you put into it. Also, there are better oppertunities out there for people who haven't gone through the college program. There are non-alumni advanced internships, which include things like horticulture and the science programs, along with several administrative jobs. These don't require previous experience with the College Program. Unfortunately, they're currently revising all of the advanced internship positions, and the list won't be available until September.

I'm planning on doing the non-alumni Land greenhouse plant science internship in the next year or two. I'm very much looking forward to it--but I've also done my homework. I've talked to several alumni of the internship, plus I talked with one cast member currently in that position. I know pretty well what I'm getting into. Unfortunately, some don't, and go down to WDW expecting a 6 month Florida vacation. I've seen a lot of negative articles that have revolved around this type of intern. This article seems fairly well-balanced, though.

Yeah, many of the CP's are used as a cheap alternative to full wage CM's, but if you are going into a field that can benefit from that type of interaction experience--where else are you going to interact with so many people on a daily basis?--or, if one of the advanced internships pertains to your chosen carreer, by all means look into it. Just know what you're getting in to.

By the way, there are lots of reactions to the College Program on the Employment/College Program/International forum (where this thread will probably end up in a little while).

By the way, welcome to WDWMagic! :wave:

ArielBelle

Original Poster
Thank you both for your insight.

Just to give you a few more details Captain Hank...since I am a Florida resident (from South Florida, at school in Gainesville) I am not looking for a FL vacation (I live it!) But I can understand how some would think they are entering a resort lifestyle.

I am a telecommunications news major, I am interning at a television station down here helping out in the news department. Unfortunately, when it came down to choosing between the two, this station's internship will be more beneficial when it comes down to me getting a job as a reporter/anchor.

But I always wanted a sort of chance to fall back into public relations, media relations, that type of field. So of course, the interaction with people would be helpful, but I'd like to do it in more of a business setting--where I am dealing with corporate issues. That's why I think the "white collar" jobs they refer to in this article should be more available to students.

Oh well..I'd still love to end up affiliated with Disney one day...we'll see where the road takes me!

Captain Hank

Sorry, I wasn't implying that you were just looking for a FL vacation! :wave:

Definately persue what makes the most sense for you. And if you do end up with public relations, what better company to work for than Disney! Good Luck!

jcanamo

I don't know why they limit their "real" opportunities (whether in marketing, guest relations or other office jobs) to those students who already participated in the college program. Unfortunately, I only have one open semester to intern...so that option wouldn't work.

not all real opportunities are restricted to CP alum. I'm doing an Industrial Engineering Co-op for WDW this fall and I haven't completed the CP. There are plenty of opportunties that don't require you to finish it. I know they just updated the disney careers website to include all of them and they range from engineering to marketing to finance, etc etc...

CaptainMichael

My friend and I are seriously contemplating doing the program when we get the chance. It isn't just food service and trash pick-up. You can work attractions! Besides, it is what you make it. If you go in looking to make money or discover the secret of life, that might not happen. Go in trying to make the most of it and enjoy every minute of it. Make guests feel the magic. Smiles and memories should be enough. I'm a Business Major; hopefully, I can find an internship. If not, I'll be happy working at an attraction.

TiggersPooh

i am currently finishing up my program...10 more days! I enjoyed my time here. I came to work so i wasnt expecting huge networking possibilities. I plan to return to the company later (im going seasonal)

Sadly many of the CMs at Disney look down on CPs which isnt fair at all. They see us ALL as lazy college students who drink and have parties instead of coming to work (which is true for some)

My biggest problem with the program is the HOUSING...one word - gross. Vista is so dirty...my friends call it "dirrty dirrty vista" yet everyone in my three bedroom (6 of us) has to pay $69 a week.

But i have met some of the coolest people here. I miss all of my Hong Kong friends! This has been the best summer...when i get bored...i go to MK or i go ride TOT thats pretty amazing.

disneywy

It is definately all what you make of it. I loved the 8 months I was an attrations CP last year, but I can tell you about some people that didn't. I knew what I was getting into and that we were basically cheap labor at times, but there aren't many places you can see how a large company works, meet new friends, network, live a "resort lifestyle", and go to Disney parks all the time. Plus, seeing kids and families happy makes it fun for you too. That sounds dorky, but it is really true. A happy guest talking to you can make your day (on the flip side though, a rude, snippy guest can ruin the day as well).

While it is true that some CM's look down on CP's, if you prove yourself and show you are there to work and learn they they will resepct you just like anyone else. Many of my managers were once CPs and then continued up the ladder. I want to continue on with Disney and have actually used my connections to help out here in Disneyland where I am now a CM. I also think that it is priceless experience to be out in the "front line" if you ever want to be higher up in the company so that you understand how it works and what guests tend to do.

While some of the housing isn't great (Vista) the other complexes are very nice (Chatham, Commons, and another one by Mall at Millenia for Advanced/Professional CPs).

Once again it is all what you make of it and who you hang out with or affiliate yourself with that can make or break the experience for everyone.

tn1999

Its a Win-Win situation.

Disney gets cheap labor, we get a semester away from school in Florida working for Disney...

Of course there are many negatives to the program, but the positives (which there are many) seem to always win out.

This spring I finished my second CP.

Spring 2002---Merchandise---The Emporium,

Spring 2005---Merchandise---Future World North AND Flower & Garden.

My biggest complaints were: The bus system (although I hear they changed companies and are now using Mears instead of horrible Vec Tours/Dynamic), paying for housing, the Nazi-like security and overall lack of freedom at the housing complexes (which they contribute to safety), The slave-like scheduling and working conditions.

The positives: A foot in the door at Disney, Free entry to the parks, meeting people from all of the world and making friends (I know that sounds so orignial but its true), The weather (for the most part), The nightlife - especially if your over 21 (as I was for my Spring 2005 CP), and the overall fun of working for disney which is just such an interesting experience on so many levels

...There are more Positives and Negatives, but I dont have all day. Overall I give the WDWCP a thumbs up.

TiggersPooh

they are most def still usung Dynamic.
Luckily i have my car here...which in turn makes me VERY popluar.

Chatam is like TRUMP nice...LOL

I have earned most of my fellow CMs trust even though I am a CP. I am proud to say I have earned 4 Great Service Fanatic Cards! Never called in, EVER and have been late one three times (1.5 points total)

It is true that making a kid smile makes your day. SO i always try to do a couple "magical moments" a day. Then there are the "other" guests. never have a dealt with so many rude people. I never thought while working attractions i would be assulted (pushed several times) and sworn at sooo many times. But all I do is smile back and tell them "this is disney please dont swear" which makes them extra cranky, to make my revenge if they have a stroller and didnt move it to stroller parking ill make sure to personally move it there and put it in the very far corner.

OK im getting off topic

We are cheap labor...where else would they get staffing for those STUPID EMH? NO full timer would want to work till 3 am. (5 am for grad night)

But i had a BLAST this summer! What other job lets you watch Wishes everynight and lets you say "i make magic"?

Rosso11

I was a CP in the fall 2003, and you really do learn a lot. It makes no difference weather you were picking up garbage or working attractions. Actually you don't realize how much you learned until you leave and go back home and analyze every store and employee you encounter. You don't even realize your doing it at first until you start pointing out rude employees, and messy stores to your friends and family at you local mall. You start comparing everything to Disney. You find your self saying things like "they could never get away with that at Disney." Luckily you eventually stop and come back to reality. Disney is also very impressive on resumes. Every interview I have ever gone on I have been asked in great detail about my Disney experience. Disney is world renowned for their customer service and thousands of companies try to emulate them. People are very impressed and want to learn as much as they can about how the company works. It really works as a great ice breaker on interviews because people just love talking about Disney and it puts them at ease. I know many ex-CP's that have benefited greatly because of there Disney experience. It really is a great internship. Lets face it, its a lot better then running around getting coffee and making xerox copies for people all day.

DisKid

Anyone have any pics of the inside of the housing complexes?? Saying Vista is dirty and Chatham is "TRUMP nice" really makes me want to see the differences!!!

I have been contemplating going through the college program or not. Part of my major as Hospitality Management is to complete 800 hours of intership. Im going to school in Orlando so I have endless oportunities. Ive talked to people about the college program vs. a part-time worker. Ive heard mixed answers. Ive talked with disney casting agents that have an intership program but I dont think it is directly connected to the CP. I still havent made up my decision. Unfortunately im starting to get broke and am tired of living off my parents money. Hopefully in the fall when I move withing 10 miles of Disney I will make my decision.

TiggersPooh

u want the dirty details from a CP? Think about it...thousands of college students in one place...let your imaginations run wild! LOL OK so its not that crazy...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom