News Coco scene coming to Mickey’s PhilharMagic in Disney World

ToTBellHop

I haven't seen the new edit but I did watch philharmagic in dca last week and wow what a difference from wdw. The video is crisp and sharp. In Florida everything is very blurry but not there. The bizarre muppets theater location hurt the show for me though. I will saw more coco stuff in 5 days in Disneyland than I've ever seen in wdw. It definitely resonated more with California guests based on its inclusion here, in the fireworks and all the merchandise. I've barely seen any coco in wdw aside from in Mexico.
That’s because DL gets significantly more Mexican guests.

the-reason14

From the video it looks nice and I like it. As I've said before I'm happy that they are adding something and I'm happy that it is CoCo. I understand why some may think it's a little random, and I agree with that. But the whole show is just that, random. The only other song I think that could have worked would have been proud corozon. But I like it, from what I've seen and can't wait to see it in person. Glad that there is inclusion and hope to see more of it.

Ghost93

The problem with Hunchback of Notre Dame is that its best songs — The Bells of Notre Dame, God Help the Outcasts and Hellfire, are too dark or somber to fit the overall tone of Mickey's Philhar magic. I love The Hunchback of Notre Dame but I think one of the reasons it's not heavily featured in the parks is because so much of it doesn't really fit in with the Disney brand. The music feels much more like something out of Les Miserables or The Phantom of the Opera than a Disney movie.

aladdin2007

The problem with Hunchback of Notre Dame is that its best songs — The Bells of Notre Dame, God Help the Outcasts and Hellfire, are too dark or somber to fit the overall tone of Mickey's Philhar magic. I love The Hunchback of Notre Dame but I think one of the reasons it's not heavily featured in the parks is because so much of it doesn't really fit in with the Disney brand. The music feels much more like something out of Les Miserables or The Phantom of the Opera than a Disney movie.
true, and I enjoyed the stage show at the studios, but they dont do anything like that anymore. The movie was dark and heavy but was great how they went that route. It made for an epic animated film staying in the tone of the book, would never see them make a movie like that today. or even animated for that matter sadly.

ToTBellHop

So I saw it in California and loved it. However, I have always found the show to be really blurry in MK. It was crystal clear in DCA! Never looked so good!

Has it looked better at DCA since it opened there or did they upgrade the entire show’s visuals for this update?

I was blown away.

And I wish we could get Avengers Campus. It was more fun than SWGE.

UNCgolf

And I wish we could get Avengers Campus. It was more fun than SWGE.

Or they could just incorporate a bunch of characters into SWGE the way they have for Avengers Campus. Not that I've seen Avengers Campus in person, but from what I can tell, basically everything else about SWGE -- the restaurants, the shops, the attractions -- is better but it's just lacking the kinetic energy and atmosphere that Avengers Campus has.

Would you agree with that or did you think Avengers Campus was better in other ways too? I'm far from the biggest fan of Galaxy's Edge, but Avengers Campus seems like it would be very dull if they ever cut back on all the live entertainment/characters.

Magenta Panther

Hunchback is pretty dark book with a tragic ending. As you say, perhaps not the best choice for Philharmagic. On the other hand, with Coco, we've got Donald Duck in the Land of the Dead with dancing skeletons throwing their skulls around. That's pretty dark too IMO...

ToTBellHop

Or they could just incorporate a bunch of characters into SWGE the way they have for Avengers Campus. Not that I've seen Avengers Campus in person, but from what I can tell, basically everything else about SWGE -- the restaurants, the shops, the attractions -- is better but it's just lacking the kinetic energy and atmosphere that Avengers Campus has.

Would you agree with that or did you think Avengers Campus was better in other ways too? I'm far from the biggest fan of Galaxy's Edge, but Avengers Campus seems like it would be very dull if they ever cut back on all the live entertainment/characters.
Oh, it is absolutely the characters and music that make it such a fun, energetic land. It also looks really cool at night. The rides are actually pretty fun to me, though Guardians was only new to me, not the park. And I’d play the Spidey video game any day over the Falcon video game. Can’t speak to dining as I avoided the gimmicky PYM stuff.

SWGE desperately needs iconic characters interacting. And music. And a more-compelling video game.

But back to Coco.

UNCgolf

Oh, it is absolutely the characters and music that make it such a fun, energetic land. It also looks really cool at night. The rides are actually pretty fun to me, though Guardians was only new to me, not the park. And I’d play the Spidey video game any day over the Falcon video game. Can’t speak to dining as I avoided the gimmicky PYM stuff.

SWGE desperately needs iconic characters interacting. And music. And a more-compelling video game.

But back to Coco.

Oh the Falcon video game is awful, but the Spidey one looks as bad or possibly worse to me (I also hate Toy Story Mania, though -- basically the shooting video game rides are a complete failure to me). At least you get to walk through the Falcon.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
The new scene will debut November 12th in Magic Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom