News Coco scene coming to Mickey’s PhilharMagic in Disney World

Touchdown

Philharmagic is a theme park attraction, it needs to keep you happy and be high energy for the most part. It already has 3 slower ballads in it (Part of your World, You Can Fly, Whole New World) compared to 3 high energy numbers (Be Our Guest, Sorcerers Apprentice, Can’t Wait to Be King) adding another slow song would probably drag down the show so we need a fast paced song. Coco has 3 fast paced songs: Ernesto’s Remember Me, Poco Loco, and Proud Corizon. La Linona is the climax song starts out slow, it doesn’t count. You can’t use Ernestos Remember Me for multiple reasons, one it’s the villians song, Donald isn’t going to be pals with the villain, and two it’s disingenuous and completely against Hector or his family’s characters to sing the song like that based on the film, they would only sing it as a lullaby it’s out. As for Proud Corizon, bet you can’t sing that one, most don’t remember it, and that’s the reason it’s not the song to choose

Poco Loco is memorable, represents the first time Hector and Miguel connected, was Miguel’s first live performance and is a slapper. It’s the only choice if going with Coco. Given all the other Princess movies in Philharmagic I’m also really glad they didn’t pick another one, I like it.

I apologize for any Spanish misspellings.

Last edited:

cmwade77

We just saw this yesterday at DCA and while DCAs version of Philarmagic isn't quite as good just due to the screen setup, the new scene was indeed very well done. The transitions were perfectly done and it didn't make the show feel like it was dragging on, which was a concern that I had as well.

They also spent a lot of time cleaning up the rest of the time and making the projection much clearer.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
We just saw this yesterday at DCA and while DCAs version of Philarmagic isn't quite as good just due to the screen setup, the new scene was indeed very well done. The transitions were perfectly done and it didn't make the show feel like it was dragging on, which was a concern that I had as well.

They also spent a lot of time cleaning up the rest of the time and making the projection much clearer.
Did it look like a new rendering, or just maybe a projection upgrade?

Disney Analyst

Explain how it makes sense to add in a song nobody cares about in an attraction specifically about the most beloved Disney songs. There are two possible explanations: either laziness, or to make a statement. I also addressed why I think it's a bad addition even ignoring the fact that it's a song no one cares about.

I'm not against inclusion of course, but making sure the parks are inclusive doesn't have to mean that new additions are void of consistency.

Be Our Guest
The Sorcerer's Apprentice/Fantasia
Part of Your World
I Just Can't Wait to Be King
You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!
A Whole New World

All songs that are synonymous with Disney, instantly recognizable, everyone knows them. Literally just reading the title you have the melody in your head.

Un Poco Loco

Uh... what was that from again?

LOL. Coco was a huge success loved by many…. And Poco Loco is an ear worm.

Just because you don’t like something doesn’t make you the authority in what everyone else enjoys.

Tom Morrow

Hey guys, I didn’t say I didn’t like the song or the film, the song is fine and the film is great. I’m just asking how it fits in with literally the most famous and loved Disney songs of all time. Like, do we add “Fixer Upper” from Frozen next? Maybe in time I suppose it could become a classic.

My bigger issue though is the visuals for the sequence, which are a bit uninspired and don’t fit with the rest.

Animaniac93-98

I’m just asking how it fits in with literally the most famous and loved Disney songs of all time.

This is a criteria you've invented for the show that no one else seems to be concerned with.

They picked Coco because they thought it would be nifty. I think it works because the setting and style of music is distinct from the other sequences and adds variety to the presentation.

Personally, there's all sorts of songs I would have chosen for the show beyond low hanging fruit like tunes from Frozen. How famous they are is not important to me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hey guys, I didn’t say I didn’t like the song or the film, the song is fine and the film is great. I’m just asking how it fits in with literally the most famous and loved Disney songs of all time. Like, do we add “Fixer Upper” from Frozen next? Maybe in time I suppose it could become a classic.

My bigger issue though is the visuals for the sequence, which are a bit uninspired and don’t fit with the rest.
Well, I don't think anyone requests "I Can't Wait to be King" at a piano bar...

UNCgolf

Best soundtracks of all time?

Coco
Frozen II (Show Yourself is fantastic)
Moana
Little Mermaid
Beauty and The Beast
Tangled

and I'm betting Encanto!!!

Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast are a step above everything else for me. Unless you're including live action, in which case Mary Poppins is up there too and maybe the absolute best overall. Lion King is just behind them, but I don't love Be Prepared so that holds it back a little. Moana is not too far behind, and Tarzan (the soundtrack is a lot better than the movie) and Hercules are also quite good. Both Frozen films are solid overall. A lot of other Disney films have one or two really good songs and then some filler stuff that doesn't do that much for me -- I used to listed to the Aladdin soundtrack all the time as a kid, but I think Whole New World is the only really good song from that movie, even though I think the others are better than mere filler. Most of the old classics have at least one all-time great song but not necessarily much else worth talking about.

EDIT: Actually Cinderella is up there with an excellent overall soundtrack too. And I wouldn't be surprised if I'm forgetting something.

Last edited:

Touchdown

Snow White, Pinocchio, Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Moana and Frozen in no order would be my top ten

Coco would fall in tier 2 along with a lot of excellent soundtracks.

UNCgolf

Snow White, Pinocchio, Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Moana and Frozen in no order would be my top ten

Coco would fall in tier 2 along with a lot of excellent soundtracks.

I forgot Jungle Book and Pinocchio. Both of them have multiple excellent songs. I'm not quite as high on Snow White -- think Cinderella is definitely superior.

Animaniac93-98

Hunchback is probably the best overall of any from Walt Disney Feature Animation.

Pocahontas also has a strong score, but the movie's overall reputation has fallen, so it's not surprising to see it omitted from many people's top lists.

In terms of musical structure/storytelling, Nightmare Before Christmas is one of 90s Disney's better examples. The above average number of songs in the movie are the result of being written before there was any script to essentially tell the story on their own.

A lot of Disney musicals sort of forget they are in one the second half of their runtime and are very front loaded in their scores.

Animaniac93-98

Cinderella not only has a good score, but it may have the best selection of unused songs of any Disney animated feature (at least, pre-90s), many demos and rerecordings of them have been released to CD and digital.

UNCgolf

Hunchback is probably the best overall of any from Walt Disney Feature Animation.

Pocahontas also has a strong score, but the movie's overall reputation has fallen, so it's not surprising to see it omitted from many people's top lists.

In terms of musical structure/storytelling, Nightmare Before Christmas is one of 90s Disney's better examples. The above average number of songs in the movie are the result of being written before there was any script to essentially tell the story on their own.

A lot of Disney musicals sort of forget they are in one the second half of their runtime and are very front loaded in their scores.

Pocahontas is also good, although I don't think it's quite as good as most of the others I mentioned. Hunchback has never been especially impressive to me.

Regardless, I was only talking in terms of the quality of each individual song, not in how well incorporated they are to the plot. That's a different discussion for me.

sWANNISAX

I haven't seen the new edit but I did watch philharmagic in dca last week and wow what a difference from wdw. The video is crisp and sharp. In Florida everything is very blurry but not there. The bizarre muppets theater location hurt the show for me though. I will saw more coco stuff in 5 days in Disneyland than I've ever seen in wdw. It definitely resonated more with California guests based on its inclusion here, in the fireworks and all the merchandise. I've barely seen any coco in wdw aside from in Mexico.

sWANNISAX

I would agree Hunchback has the most impressive music and score of the 90s.

Animaniac93-98

I haven't seen the new edit but I did watch philharmagic in dca last week and wow what a difference from wdw. The video is crisp and sharp. In Florida everything is very blurry but not there. The bizarre muppets theater location hurt the show for me though. I will saw more coco stuff in 5 days in Disneyland than I've ever seen in wdw. It definitely resonated more with California guests based on its inclusion here, in the fireworks and all the merchandise. I've barely seen any coco in wdw aside from in Mexico.

DCA also has more Coco stuff during September and October to coincide with the actual Day of the Dead holiday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom