Coco and Encanto Fit More at World Showcase. Not at Magic Kingdom.

Sir_Cliff

One thing that occurs to me about Coco and Encanto and whether they would fit into World Showcase is that it has only been relatively recently (with some exceptions) that Disney has made films like those two which are explicitly set in and to some extent attempt to celebrate the culture of specific countries. For most of the classics, they are not really grounded in any real place and only have hints of their national origins (if they are acknowledged at all). I'd argue even Beauty & the Beast is not really set in "France" in any meaningful way despite the references to the country and use of some French accents in the way that Ratatouille clearly takes place in France.

I don't know if this goes any way to bridging the IP gap for World Showcase, but Coco is very clearly based on Mexican traditions and did such a good job that it was beloved in Mexico. Encanto also has a whole song celebrating Colombia and draws on Colombian history (La Violencia) and cultural motifs such as the butterflies that are associated with Gabriel García Márquez. In that sense, I could see an Encanto attraction as arguably an appropriate way to represent Colombia in the context of a theme park more so than, say, Disney's Cinderella could represent France.

cookiee_munster

There are only a couple of IPs that have long term staying power to merit a permanent theme park land. I think the castle parks work so well because they use a general themed area to showcase the attractions IP and non IP.

To me coco and encanto would fit perfectly in a latin american land like the lost river delta in TDS but you can also add in other IPs like Indiana Jones or even emperors new groove and some general attractions to make a more rounded experience
I never thought about it like that (a Latin America area) now i'm kinda swayed by the idea that it could work :)

Epcot82Guy

One thing that occurs to me about Coco and Encanto and whether they would fit into World Showcase is that it has only been relatively recently (with some exceptions) that Disney has made films like those two which are explicitly set in and to some extent attempt to celebrate the culture of specific countries. For most of the classics, they are not really grounded in any real place and only have hints of their national origins (if they are acknowledged at all). I'd argue even Beauty & the Beast is not really set in "France" in any meaningful way despite the references to the country and use of some French accents in the way that Ratatouille clearly takes place in France.

I don't know if this goes any way to bridging the IP gap for World Showcase, but Coco is very clearly based on Mexican traditions and did such a good job that it was beloved in Mexico. Encanto also has a whole song celebrating Colombia and draws on Colombian history (La Violencia) and cultural motifs such as the butterflies that are associated with Gabriel García Márquez. In that sense, I could see an Encanto attraction as arguably an appropriate way to represent Colombia in the context of a theme park more so than, say, Disney's Cinderella could represent France.

I agree with this - if done correctly. Not to rehash the argument again, but having a "Coco" attraction would be MK. Having an attraction focused on Mexican culture or Mexico itself featuring Miguel and elements from Coco could 100% be a great World Showcase attraction.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I agree with this - if done correctly. Not to rehash the argument again, but having a "Coco" attraction would be MK. Having an attraction focused on Mexican culture or Mexico itself featuring Miguel and elements from Coco could 100% be a great World Showcase attraction.

Haven't you watched any of the Music of Mexico performances?

Robbiem

Those "ideal condensed tropes" of what other countries are, are quite literally still relevant to the culture and differences in how people live and celebrate their cultures. I hate to break it to you, but those ice sculptures are actually a real thing in Canada. As crazy as that sounds. lol. Each country DOES have positive cultural significances. And since you're at a theme park, and not a museum, you're going to see the positive ones.

Honest question- are the pavilions designed to be idealised versions of how the nation sees itself or how Americans / average WDW guest sees them?

Goofy Ninja

I agree with the original poster, they should go at Epcot. If they are going to go somewhere. Besides Magic Kingdom is already overpacked, give it to one of the parks that needs it.

.... Or preferably a whole new park.

Bocabear

I agree with the original poster, they should go at Epcot. If they are going to go somewhere. Besides Magic Kingdom is already overpacked, give it to one of the parks that needs it.

.... Or preferably a whole new park.
Dear God, Please no new parks until they complete all the existing parks... that includes finishing the pavilions in EPCOT, adding attractions to the existing countries, Adding attractions to all of the shuttered and currently closed existing attractions in all of the WDW theme parks, and finishing all existing projects...They don't need another half-day park...

Goofy Ninja

Dear God, Please no new parks until they complete all the existing parks... that includes finishing the pavilions in EPCOT, adding attractions to the existing countries, Adding attractions to all of the shuttered and currently closed existing attractions in all of the WDW theme parks, and finishing all existing projects...They don't need another half-day park...

More parks means more people are spread out. Especially if you put the new one out in the boondocks.

Phicinfan

More parks means more people are spread out. Especially if you put the new one out in the boondocks.
I don't think we ever see a 5th gate. Folks only have so much vacation, and if you add a 5th, you will effectively kill one of the others quite possibly. The model just doesn't work right now.

RSoxNo1

One of the things I had heard was that there isn't enough room to do a Coco / Flight of Passage style ride in World Showcase. While Coco could take over the boat ride, I think if they were willing to sacrifice the Odyssey they could put a Flight of Passage style Coco ride into that pavilion. It would be lousy to lose the boat ride alongside San Angel Inn, but in the grand scheme of "ruining EPCOT" that would be 91st on the list of changes.

co10064

Premium Member
One of the things I had heard was that there isn't enough room to do a Coco / Flight of Passage style ride in World Showcase. While Coco could take over the boat ride, I think if they were willing to sacrifice the Odyssey they could put a Flight of Passage style Coco ride into that pavilion. It would be lousy to lose the boat ride alongside San Angel Inn, but in the grand scheme of "ruining EPCOT" that would be 91st on the list of changes.
I *hate* the idea of a FoP clone for Coco. I understand that ride systems are cloned all of the time, but the ride system is truly what makes FoP unique and the headliner it has become today. A Coco clone would cheapen the FoP experience and the DAK experience overall. Surely they can be more creative with the IP.

co10064

Premium Member
Also, I could have sworn there was a Coco dark ride considered for Pixar Pier. or was that wishful thinking by the fans?

RSoxNo1

I *hate* the idea of a FoP clone for Coco. I understand that ride systems are cloned all of the time, but the ride system is truly what makes FoP unique and the headliner it has become today. A Coco clone would cheapen the FoP experience and the DAK experience overall. Surely they can be more creative with the IP.
I think there are quite a few options for a Coco ride and I don't think a boat ride is a ridiculous proposal.

RSoxNo1

While I would love another boat ride, I believe the description given for the current plan is a clone of FoP.
That's what the implication was at D23. My point was a Coco boat ride is also something that could be done if they wanted to redo Gran Fiesta Tour. At one point (2017) there was a budget for under $100 mil, and the assumption was that it was for redoing the boat ride and putting Coco in Mexico.

Phicinfan

That's what the implication was at D23. My point was a Coco boat ride is also something that could be done if they wanted to redo Gran Fiesta Tour. At one point (2017) there was a budget for under $100 mil, and the assumption was that it was for redoing the boat ride and putting Coco in Mexico.
Cool, that would be fun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom