Coco and Encanto Fit More at World Showcase. Not at Magic Kingdom.

22FLknight

Original Poster
I'm not impressed with the D23 Expo panel about the Parks.

Why would they even think about placing Encanto and Coco at Magic Kingdom beyond Big Thunder Mountain Railroad?

I think it's better if they put these two films into World Showcase.

Coco, inside the Mexico pavilion. It should replace the Gran Fiesta Tour, or give it a small expansion. Maybe a VR ride.

For Encanto, EPCOT should have a brand new Colombia somewhere between Germany and Italy. Or between China and Germany. When you step into the Colombia pavilion, you enter this small village full of shops and restaurants. The main attraction is Casita Madrigal. It can be a walkthrough attraction or a new trackless dark ride like Mystic Manor / Haunted Mansion. You are invited to an open house and you go inside each room in the Casita as Mirabel takes you on a tour letting us meet the Madrigal family. And maybe outside the Casita is an outdoor theater for an Encanto Sing Along.

These are some of my Armchair Imagineering ideas. What do you think? Both these IPs fit more at EPCOT then at Magic Kingdom.

eliza61nyc

Why would they even think about placing Encanto and Coco at Magic Kingdom beyond Big Thunder Mountain Railroad?

Coco, inside the Mexico pavilion. It should replace the Gran Fiesta Tour, or give it a small expansion. Maybe a VR ride.

For Encanto, EPCOT should have a brand new Colombia somewhere between Germany and Italy. Or between China and Germany. When you step into the Colombia pavilion, you enter this small village full of shops and restaurants. The main attraction is Casita Madrigal. It can be a walkthrough attraction or a new trackless dark ride like Mystic Manor / Haunted Mansion. You are invited to an open house and you go inside each room in the Casita as Mirabel takes you on a tour letting us meet the Madrigal family. And maybe outside the Casita is an outdoor theater for an Encanto Sing Along.

These are some of my Armchair Imagineering ideas. What do you think? Both these IPs fit more at EPCOT then at Magic Kingdom.
And this is why Disney can't win. Every other complaint here is about Ip in Epcot, now when they put it inagic Kingdom we whine that it should be in Epcot.

Make up your minds folks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And this is why Disney can't win. Every other complaint here is about Ip in Epcot, now when they put it inagic Kingdom we whine that it should be in Epcot.

The majority so far suggest the MK. I’d say a lot of minds are made up but as with everything there will be exceptions to the consensus.

Post 6 explains it well.

James Alucobond

I assume it's more that, whether they prefer it or not, folks accept that any new addition WILL include IP. Disney has even stated that the new governing concept of the World Showcase is the cultures of the world and the stories™ they inspire.

In that sense, I can understand frustration at "losing" some of the IPs that actually might fit decently to Magic Kingdom, though I'm not entirely sure Encanto fits into that camp since it would necessitate an entirely new pavilion. Also, if the concept for Coco in Magic Kingdom is indeed a Soarin'-esque ride, there's no reason a boat overlay couldn't still happen in EPCOT. They don't seem to have any issues creating multiple attractions for the same property.

SteamboatJoe

Coco could go either way. Encanto no. Coco's central plot involves a real cultural holiday (Epcot) but also contains fantastical elements (MK). Encanto's story could have happened anywhere at any time. The latter's magical elements make it a much better fit for MK.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It's easier to understand if you stop thinking of the parks at MK, Epcot, DHS and AK and start thinking of them as MK1,MK2,MK3 and MK4.

yensidtlaw1969

Do you think all Disney fans agree on what properties are appropriate for which park?

Some people want these in MK. Some people want these in EPCOT. Some people don't want them in either.

It's not like the same people are flipping back and forth here. Different people in the same group have different opinions.

eliza61nyc

Do you think all Disney fans agree on what properties are appropriate for which park?

Some people want these in MK. Some people want these in EPCOT. Some people don't want them in either.

It's not like the same people are flipping back and forth here. Different people in the same group have different opinions.
But the point is No matter which way Disney moves someone is going to be kvetching about it. If they put ip in one place we scream it belongs somewhere else. They put it someplace else, "gasp" the horror. You don't see the absolute ridiculousness of it.

Someone here famously predicted Disney could give everyone here a 100 dollar bill and we'd be-atch that it wasn't 5 20s

yensidtlaw1969

But the point is No matter which way Disney moves someone is going to be kvetching about it. If they put ip in one place we scream it belongs somewhere else. They put it someplace else, "gasp" the horror. You don't see the absolute ridiculousness of it.
That's called people having different opinions?? It's always been true that you can't please everybody. This isn't new.

Which is why it was so meaningful when Disney could be trusted to be an insightful arbiter of what properties belonged in the parks and where. People may not have always agreed with placement, but at least they put things places that suited the common sense of their own designs. People complained less because there was less to complain about. They devised parks with guiding principles, and they followed those principles.

Now they're fully willing to throw a park's theme out the window to try add a property that doesn't belong in the name of putting a bandaid on the park's performance. Frozen is an example of this - that was clearly a property well suited for Fantasyland, but EPCOT needed a boost more than Magic Kingdom, so they chose to go against theme and put it there. Moana obviously would fit best in Adventureland, but Animal Kingdom needs help more than MK, so they're overlooking the fact that Moana barely even features any animals, and certainly isn't a story about them, and saying they can just make it work.

They're following a financial principle rather than a thematic one, which leads to decisions that make poor creative sense. Considering people come to the parks and spend their money because of the value of the creative experience, it makes sense for people to have a problem with this. But Disney doesn't mind because, really, Disney doesn't care if people kvetch online as long as their new projects make them money.

Epcot82Guy

Someone here famously predicted Disney could give everyone here a 100 dollar bill and we'd be-atch that it wasn't 5 20s

While I understand what you are saying, that seems highly oversimplified. This could also be a creation of Disney's own doing. Disney Parks earned their brand off their theme. And, that existed at more than a single land. In fact, the notion of a single IP land was historically a pretty big failure until Harry Potter - not Disney. And Disney has then ridden that band wagon ad nauseum. And, for places like the resorts, they are replacing existing nostalgia with IP in a move that is at best flat and in some cases reductions in quality. All while prices soar sky high.

This comes down to story and fit. Cinderella fits beautifully in MK - because she and her story is used properly and in a way that fits. Cindy & Ella's seamstress shop on Main Street would be cute - as a very subtle nod. Cinderella's Steamstress Shop on Main Street would not, because she doesn't fit. Even with her castle just ahead. Similarly, a film about European castles that inspired some of Disney's most famous parks castles could work in Epcot. Cinderella's castle tour added to Germany, taking you through her fantasy castle because it is based on a German castle, would not.

Disney has lost trust of many of its fans who love theme and fit. We're willing to stretch, but we also call out shoehorning. That's obviously in the eye of the beholder, but I think it misses the point to say it's baseless complaining in all respects.

CJR

I think they fit what they (Disney execs) want WS to be. They don't fit what WS was and what many people around here want it to be. Based on what Disney wants WS to be, I'd say they fit better.

Honestly though, I can't complain. As long as they don't touch TSI, it's an expanded area of the park. Rare for Disney to do in Florida, so it seems. If it pushes more people to those attractions, maybe, just maybe, it'll take some pressure off the rest of the park. Although - BTMRR will probably be much busier with TBA also right next door.

Bet Tomorrowland would be more empty - since Tron will be open for over a decade by the time these would be built.

co10064

Premium Member
Here's my take:
1. IPs have already entered the World Showcase
2. World Showcase desperately needs more attractions
3. Yes, Magic Kingdom does need more capacity, but so do the other parks
4. The other parks are under-built and under-attended when compared to the Magic Kingdom

For these reasons I would have preferred these as expansions in World Showcase.

They even teased that Coco was going to Mexico for the longest time.

That being said, I don't have a problem with these IPs in Magic Kingdom at all. Zootopia in Animal Kingdom on the other hand...

Epcot82Guy

Here's my take:
1. IPs have already entered the World Showcase
2. World Showcase desperately needs more attractions
3. Yes, Magic Kingdom does need more capacity, but so do the other parks
4. The other parks are under-built and under-attended when compared to the Magic Kingdom

For these reasons I would have preferred these as expansions in World Showcase.

They even teased that Coco was going to Mexico for the longest time.

That being said, I don't have a problem with these IPs in Magic Kingdom at all. Zootopia in Animal Kingdom on the other hand...

I appreciate your thoughts, but this highlights the exact problem of management. The only way to allegedly drive up attendance is to shoehorn in stories with currently popular IPs, regardless of any long term damage or upset to the current fan base for the applicable park. I know others disagree, but that's a short term focus of a Wall Street mega corp. If you have demand coming out your ears (allegedly), you can afford to keep high quality standards, especially when appealing to different audiences. The narratives being pushed contradict each other.

No Name

For what it’s worth, I think the Coco structure in the art fits the American frontier which had heavy Mexican influences, and I can see a story that works.

Encanto does not fit and raises some red flags about their train of thought there. It’s less-modern construction, so it’s frontier? It’s Hispanic, so it fits next to Coco? Unless perhaps that’s to be a part of Fantasyland (which perhaps it is), in which case the transition might not be bad.

I’m not ready to write it off yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom