Coaching Upward Sports for kids???

k.hunter30

Original Poster
Okay, this is a long shot, but I thought I'd give it a try...

Is anyone familiar with Upward Sports? I would think it would most commonly be a program that a church might have, though other organizations may host it as well. It's a sports program for kids Kindergarden through fifth or sixth grade, in which "every child gets to play." They offer sports like basketball and football.

Anyways, I've volunteered to coach girls cheerleading...:lookaroun... And I have no idea what to expect. This is the first season we've done Upward, so I have really no one from my town to ask. Plus, I've never coached... anything. I have a team of six girls who are in fourth, fifth or sixth grade.

If no one's heard of this program, does anyone have any experience coaching this age group in something else? Any tips, advice, or encouragement?:shrug:

SpongeScott

I've done Upward, but not cheerleading. As a coach, you are supposed to be given all the materials you need, including a week-by-week coaching guide with suggested drills to use. This was the way it used to be for basketball, but I don't know if they've changed from that or do cheerleading differently.

Good luck!

I have coached just about everything Upwards except cheerleading. I don't have girls. I have a couple of friends who do coach the cheerleading. Coaching Upwards is easy. They give you everything - a book, a movie, & on-hands instruction.

Good luck & have fun.

k.hunter30

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Good to know I'm not alone.

I do have the coach's handbook and it does have most everything in it, but it didn't help my nerves. :lol: Our first practice was list night and it went pretty well. I think I just need to boost my confidence when it comes to cheerleading and coaching. But I also try to remind myself that the skills, drills, and things of that sort aren't the most important part of practice. ;)

Remember to make sure that the kids are havin fun. I tell my players at the first practice that if they are not having fun to let me know. If the kids think it is fun, then they will listen to you to have even more fun.:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom