CM's Who Lost It

LUVofDIS

Original Poster
I have been meaning to talk about this for some time. In all the visits I have made to WDW, only once have I seen a CM get upset with visitors at the park, or with anyone or anything. It really surprises me that I haven't seen this before, people can be extreme jerks when shelling out money. Especially the kind of money we pay to visit WDW. That and the heat and the kids and the spouse, etc.

First my story, don't worry, it will be quick. it was the fifth of December in 2017. It was our last full day and we were attending the MVMCP in the MK. We were in line to ride POC and low and behold the ride breaks down, we were feet from getting on the boat. So we wait a good twenty minutes to a half hour and we decided to leave. When we got to the entrance to the ride there was a CM surrounded by a mob of people. All of a sudden we heard the CM just lose it, she was yelling that everyone needed to back off and such. I mean yelling. After a few moments two other CM's showed up and started to handle the crowd. One CM ask the first CM what happen and she broke down crying, explaining that she got rushed and people were demanding fast passes. She made a comment that most of the people grabbing for the passes were just entering the ride and that they didn't deserve a fast pass. Anyway, I felt bad for her. You could tell she was overwhelmed. I can never remember seeing only one CM handing out tickets when a ride went down anyway. I think I know why multiple CM's are used to pass out fast passes.

Like I stated earlier, I am totally surprised this was the only time I have seen this. Many people are rude and must believe they are the only ones that exist. I have heard some amazing requests and expectations from guests and I know I wanted to lose it for the CM.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever seen a CM lose it?

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I don't have any real first hand experience of CMs losing it but from the horror stories I've heard from CM friends I can understand. I really can't imagine being a CM and putting up with the abuse that some entitled guests lay on them. The ticket booths are the worst for this kind of behavior.

Survivor

I can't imagine being a CM and the restraint they have to have when it has to dealing with some of these guests. I have only encountered one issue and it was with the Security entering the Magic Kingdom. After waiting in the line for about 45 minutes in the heat this man felt he was the only one effected by the experience and had to lash out on the security guards checking the bags. The two Security Guards squashed it very quickly by saying Sir you need to calm down or your day is going to get a lot worse then just waiting in this line. The guys wife told him to shut up and he immediately shut up.

Goofyernmost

No, it was a stupid, entitled, idiotic, brain dead guest fail. Here was a person that was doing their job, trying desperately to not only keep the jerk guests safe but to get the ride moving again. I don't blame anyone for yelling. It might have been more to be sure that they were heard. The a-holes that wouldn't listen should have been thrown out of the park until they raised their IQ's to about 10. Other then that... sure, let's think that the CM failed. What jerks we guests tend to be as a group.
Just like myself in this post... the effort it took to come up with a sufficient number of adjectives to describe the guest and keep it family friendly was one painful, yet commendable experience. These people must have been raised by wild animals when they were left in the woods at birth because no one taught them right from wrong or civilized from drooling neanderthal.

Last edited:

LUVofDIS

Original Poster
It is amazing at how entitled people feel they are. Not realizing that a small number of low paid people (CM's) have to serve a large number of guests. I feel that the CM's are well underpaid for what is expected of them. Many of these workers are supporting a family, of course this is a different topic.

I also notice much of the time, people who easily get upset about the service they receive are the ones who complain about the expectations of their jobs. I try to point this out to them but I don't think they always understand the point.

It takes a lot for me to get upset with others servicing me, I know people have bad days or times and cant always be on their best. I know this because I too have these issues. I would be terrible at a customer service type job. I can only but up with so much rudeness and stupidity.

Walt Disney1955

Never seen it, and to be honest I wouldn't blame them if they did. You have to remember, these people have families, sick children, bills to pay, mortgages to pay, etc. Maybe the bank called them an hour before their shift and demanded they pay the arrears on their mortgage that they have been trying to catch up. Maybe their car got repossessed, their phone shut off, maybe their wages are being garnished or maybe their marriage is on the rocks. Who knows, but we do know this, those people have the same problems we do and they still help make our day wonderful. So of all the times I have been to Disney and never had them snap at me and be anything but pleasant, I say it is a miracle.

Granted, despite all of the understanding, you do need to remember in this day and age you are representing the Disney brand and you are one cell phone video away from making the company look bad. They realize this I am sure as it is.

On another note, I guess the guests in costumes have flipped out a time or two, although that is all about guests being absolute jerks to them, or parents letting their kids do dumb things like pulling Tigger's tail.

WDWDad2907

When you consider the extent of abuse they probably take on a daily basis from rude/entitled guests and how much they are getting paid I'm shocked I don't see it more. It's a true credit to their professionalism. There are guest interactions I see around that park that make me want to react angrily on their behalf.

Disneyfan_76

I have not witnessed any CM losing it. But I did see an instance on our last trip where the CM would have had a right too. We were waiting for our table at the Yak and Yeti and a woman started screaming at this poor CM because her table for 17 wasn't ready at the EXACT time her reservation was. Apparently they had a fast pass they had to get to in 50 min. She came back 5 minutes later and started yelling again at the woman. I stepped in this time and told her to (politely), please stop badgering the poor woman and to stop using such fowl language in public. She had some choice words for me, but stormed off. The CM to her credit was very polite and kept her cool. I think it just made the woman more angry.

Goofyernmost

Never seen it, and to be honest I wouldn't blame them if they did. You have to remember, these people have families, sick children, bills to pay, mortgages to pay, etc. Maybe the bank called them an hour before their shift and demanded they pay the arrears on their mortgage that they have been trying to catch up. Maybe their car got repossessed, their phone shut off, maybe their wages are being garnished or maybe their marriage is on the rocks. Who knows, but we do know this, those people have the same problems we do and they still help make our day wonderful. So of all the times I have been to Disney and never had them snap at me and be anything but pleasant, I say it is a miracle.

Granted, despite all of the understanding, you do need to remember in this day and age you are representing the Disney brand and you are one cell phone video away from making the company look bad. They realize this I am sure as it is.

On another note, I guess the guests in costumes have flipped out a time or two, although that is all about guests being absolute jerks to them, or parents letting their kids do dumb things like pulling Tigger's tail.
Yes, but that was not anger induced, it was panic induced. That CM knew not only the dangers of leaving the theater, where they did, but also that until the idiots stopped opening the door that show was going to be stopped. I see no reason at all to try and justify the CM's actions... it was absolutely the right thing to do at the time and actually required a lot more sincerely extreme reaction on the part of Disney. If someone had been hurt, Disney would have had to pay out millions. I will bet though that instead of telling the CM that at that point in time it was the appropriete behavior, they were probably fired because management gets dumber with each passing day.

UKDisney Dave

So I have first hand experience of a CM looosing their cool. Happened one day in MK parking lot, as I was being parked. As you do I was following along the ranks of CM directing me to the right row, and as it happened I must have been the first car along a new row, so driving further and further away from the tram lane all the way to the end of the row. The last cast member in the line was a small young lady, who was a number of spaces from the last space in the row, and she was kind of walking fast to get into the right position to guide cars in. As I approached her, and the end of the row, she started pointing to the space she wanted me in. Now there was already a line of cars parked at the front of the row, and we were to be the second lot of cars to park behind. As I followed what I thought were her instructions I pulled into the last space on the end of the row, directly behind an SUV or something that was parked in front. She looked at me as I did and waved her arms a bit, and then moved straight on to the next car and parked it one space away from me.

Now I thought I had followed her instructions, but turns out I had parked in what was either a much shorter end row, or the car in front hadn’t been pulled all the way to the front, and so the back of my car was sticking out into the traffic lane. Not by much, and more than enough to get past, but I can see if someone hadn’t been thinking as they drove along the row of parked cars they could have hit mine. But it wasn’t obvious when parking this was the case, and to be honest as I parked and turned the engine off I was none the wiser of the issue.

All of a sudden as I’m sat sorting out my stuff and turning off the sat nav and what have you this male CM in his early 20’s bangs hard on the passenger window and starts screaming at me. “Hey buddy, she told you not to park there. What the (insert expletive starting with f here) have you parked there for jerk. She made it clear where to park”. He continued to stand there staring at me and waving his arms about clearly massively annoyed, before smacking the side of the window again with his fist and shouting “move the (more swearing starting with f) jeep jerk” and stormed off.

Now to say I was shocked would be putting it mildly. To my mind I had parked where she indicated, and all was good. I’m at MK, the suns out, a day of rides and popcorn and fireworks is ahead of me, the girl who fleeced me for $17 to park had been nice and friendly(!) and all is good. The pixie dust is starting to settle over me and I’m feeling fine with the world. Suddenly as you can imagine I’m abused in drunken frat boy style by this college age lad whose role in the parking operation seemed to be abusing unsuspcting guests.

I have to admit I was kinda shell shocked. Not by any worry for my safety or fear he would come and attack me, but just because it was so utterly unexpected. So totally out of place. If I had done something I’d known to be wrong I would maybe have been expecting a telling off, but I was oblivious up until this point that i’d made this parking error.

By the time I had regained my sense of composure, the lad was no where to be seen, neither was the girl who had tried to park me, presumably by this point down the row parking other cars. So I waited till the family next to me has got all there stuff and moved off and carefully reversed out, and parked in the empty slot next to me. Soon I was on my way to grab a tram, and head to the TTC. I was by this point still shocked. It was just so out of place. A bit like turning the isle in your supermarket and seeing a zebra standing there checking out the breakfast cereals. You just don’t expect it.

I had every intention of reporting it, but I couldn’t see any CM in the parking lot who wasn’t busy, and by the time I got to MK and towards guest services I took a look at the queue hanging out the door, and though better of it. I proberbly should have reported it, as he was totally out of line, and no matter what my parking indiscretion that day, there was no need to lose it the way he did. If i’d seen a CM in the parking lot I guess I would have, but the big queue at guest services, and the lure of a Big Thunder fast pass made me keep moving.

Last edited:

PeakSeason

I have not witnessed any CM losing it. But I did see an instance on our last trip where the CM would have had a right too. We were waiting for our table at the Yak and Yeti and a woman started screaming at this poor CM because her table for 17 wasn't ready at the EXACT time her reservation was. Apparently they had a fast pass they had to get to in 50 min. She came back 5 minutes later and started yelling again at the woman. I stepped in this time and told her to (politely), please stop badgering the poor woman and to stop using such fowl language in public. She had some choice words for me, but stormed off. The CM to her credit was very polite and kept her cool. I think it just made the woman more angry.
I hope the podium CM pointed out to this guest that 50 minutes is not a realistic amount of time for a group of 17 people to experience an entire table service meal. Otherwise, I feel very sorry for the server assigned to that table.

Disneyfan_76

I hope the podium CM pointed out to this guest that 50 minutes is not a realistic amount of time for a group of 17 people to experience an entire table service meal. Otherwise, I feel very sorry for the server assigned to that table.
The Podium CM was polite and just told her that they are working on getting the table together as fast as they can. She politely explained that while the reservation was for a specific time, for a party that large sometimes it takes a little more to get a table together, but that they would do their very best to accommodate her.

EvanAnderson

When I worked at Soarin one time (back when we had paper fastpasses) we were out for the day, and a guest said it doesn't state anywhere on the map that they run out, and that he was entitled to one. I told him no we were out. He then came back and said he would sue me for discrimination. At that point since he threatened legal action I'm no longer allowed to discus it and told him the conversation is over at this point.

Goofyernmost

I have been meaning to talk about this for some time. In all the visits I have made to WDW, only once have I seen a CM get upset with visitors at the park, or with anyone or anything. It really surprises me that I haven't seen this before, people can be extreme jerks when shelling out money. Especially the kind of money we pay to visit WDW. That and the heat and the kids and the spouse, etc.

First my story, don't worry, it will be quick. it was the fifth of December in 2017. It was our last full day and we were attending the MVMCP in the MK. We were in line to ride POC and low and behold the ride breaks down, we were feet from getting on the boat. So we wait a good twenty minutes to a half hour and we decided to leave. When we got to the entrance to the ride there was a CM surrounded by a mob of people. All of a sudden we heard the CM just lose it, she was yelling that everyone needed to back off and such. I mean yelling. After a few moments two other CM's showed up and started to handle the crowd. One CM ask the first CM what happen and she broke down crying, explaining that she got rushed and people were demanding fast passes. She made a comment that most of the people grabbing for the passes were just entering the ride and that they didn't deserve a fast pass. Anyway, I felt bad for her. You could tell she was overwhelmed. I can never remember seeing only one CM handing out tickets when a ride went down anyway. I think I know why multiple CM's are used to pass out fast passes.

Like I stated earlier, I am totally surprised this was the only time I have seen this. Many people are rude and must believe they are the only ones that exist. I have heard some amazing requests and expectations from guests and I know I wanted to lose it for the CM.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever seen a CM lose it?
That is totally out of line. I don't know what had happened before you got there, but, I would guess some people really just ignoring the CM's and parking where they wish. I know I witnessed that once when someone decided that they didn't want to move all the way down the line and just pulled into the 4th or 5th spot in the line. A CM did yell, but, the guys windows were closed and I figured that was the reason. He eventually brought the window down and just flat out told her that he wasn't moving. She very clearly told him that he was going to move or his car would be towed before he got back. He swore at her a couple of times and told her to pound it, he wasn't moving. At that point, she picked up her radio and called for security. With that the guy decided he had better move the car. But by then he didn't have anywhere near as far to go down the line. I think I wouldn't have said anything, but, his tires would have been quite flat by the time he returned. I'm sure of that.

However, that is no reason to do that to you. You could have reported that person after. You didn't have to report it at the time. They know who was working in what section at that time and if they don't, there is always the famous Disney camera survalence.

mergatroid

So I have first hand experience of a CM looosing their cool. Happened one day in MK parking lot, as I was being parked. As you do I was following along the ranks of CM directing me to the right row, and as it happened I must have been the first car along a new row, so driving further and further away from the tram lane all the way to the end of the row. The last cast member in the line was a small young lady, who was a number of spaces from the last space in the row, and she was kind of walking fast to get into the right position to guide cars in. As I approached her, and the end of the row, she started pointing to the space she wanted me in. Now there was already a line of cars parked at the front of the row, and we were to be the second lot of cars to park behind. As I followed what I thought were her instructions I pulled into the last space on the end of the row, directly behind an SUV or something that was parked in front. She looked at me as I did and waved her arms a bit, and then moved straight on to the next car and parked it one space away from me.

Now I thought I had followed her instructions, but turns out I had parked in what was either a much shorter end row, or the car in front hadn’t been pulled all the way to the front, and so the back of my car was sticking out into the traffic lane. Not by much, and more than enough to get past, but I can see if someone hadn’t been thinking as they drove along the row of parked cars they could have hit mine. But it wasn’t obvious when parking this was the case, and to be honest as I parked and turned the engine off I was none the wiser of the issue.

All of a sudden as I’m sat sorting out my stuff and turning off the sat nav and what have you this male CM in his early 20’s bangs hard on the passenger window and starts screaming at me. “Hey buddy, she told you not to park there. What the (insert expletive starting with f here) have you parked there for jerk. She made it clear where to park”. He continued to stand there staring at me and waving his arms about clearly massively annoyed, before smacking the side of the window again with his fist and shouting “move the (more swearing starting with f) jeep jerk” and stormed off.

Now to say I was shocked would be putting it mildly. To my mind I had parked where she indicated, and all was good. I’m at MK, the suns out, a day of rides and popcorn and fireworks is ahead of me, the girl who fleeced me for $17 to park had been nice and friendly(!) and all is good. The pixie dust is starting to settle over me and I’m feeling fine with the world. Suddenly as you can imagine I’m abused in drunken frat boy style by this college age lad whose role in the parking operation seemed to be abusing unsuspcting guests.

I have to admit I was kinda shell shocked. Not by any worry for my safety or fear he would come and attack me, but just because it was so utterly unexpected. So totally out of place. If I had done something I’d known to be wrong I would maybe have been expecting a telling off, but I was oblivious up until this point that i’d made this parking error.

By the time I had regained my sense of composure, the lad was no where to be seen, neither was the girl who had tried to park me, presumably by this point down the row parking other cars. So I waited till the family next to me has got all there stuff and moved off and carefully reversed out, and parked in the empty slot next to me. Soon I was on my way to grab a tram, and head to the TTC. I was by this point still shocked. It was just so out of place. A bit like turning the isle in your supermarket and seeing a zebra standing there checking out the breakfast cereals. You just don’t expect it.

I had every intention of reporting it, but I couldn’t see any CM in the parking lot who wasn’t busy, and by the time I got to MK and towards guest services I took a look at the queue hanging out the door, and though better of it. I proberbly should have reported it, as he was totally out of line, and no matter what my parking indiscretion that day, there was no need to lose it the way he did. If i’d seen a CM in the parking lot I guess I would have, but the big queue at guest services, and the lure of a Big Thunder fast pass made me keep moving.

Wow, I'm dumbfounded by that story. As you say it's just so out of place.

mergatroid

That is totally out of line. I don't know what had happened before you got there, but, I would guess some people really just ignoring the CM's and parking where they wish. I know I witnessed that once when someone decided that they didn't want to move all the way down the line and just pulled into the 4th or 5th spot in the line. A CM did yell, but, the guys windows were closed and I figured that was the reason. He eventually brought the window down and just flat out told her that he wasn't moving. She very clearly told him that he was going to move or his car would be towed before he got back. He swore at her a couple of times and told her to pound it, he wasn't moving. At that point, she picked up her radio and called for security. With that the guy decided he had better move the car. But by then he didn't have anywhere near as far to go down the line. I think I wouldn't have said anything, but, his tires would have been quite flat by the time he returned. I'm sure of that.

However, that is no reason to do that to you. You could have reported that person after. You didn't have to report it at the time. They know who was working in what section at that time and if they don't, there is always the famous Disney camera survalence.

I love security at Disney, they don't take any messing. The other year we arrived late afternoon at a busy MK parking lot and I drove to the disabled parking section which turned out to be full. So I did that slow circling thing you do waiting for somebody to leave and soon spotted a family getting in their car to my left on the adjacent row. It meant I had to drive to the end of my row and turn left 180 and hopefully get that spot. I did that and was driving along towards the newly vacated space when a car came hurtling along going the wrong way down the lane, straight towards me and pushed in by taking that spot. A CM that appeared to be leaving yelled towards the car "Sir you can't do that, this car was entitled to that space" pointing at me. The guy leaving his car just ignored the CM and then out of seemingly nowhere security turned up.

They walked up to the guy and whispered something to him which instantly made him get back in his car, reverse out and drive off, leaving the spot for me to park in. As I got out and thanked them they were on their radio talking to somebody about what I assume had just happened and just kind of smiled and nodded to me with a grin on their faces like they'd quite enjoyed doing that.

GVentola

I've had many pleasant exchanges with cast members. Then there are some that are awkward. I've decided to thank parking lot employees for helping me park at just the right spot in my space. When parking by myself in my everyday life, I often park too far behind or too over the line separating the spaces, so I do truly appreciate the cast members' help. But one time I thanked them, I think they thought I was being sarcastic. A couple of other times, I've tried thanking the restroom custodians, and they just seemed bewildered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom