News Club 33 coming to Walt Disney World this Fall

Kman101

If people don't like what he has to say or how he says it (I don't love all the name calling etc. but I also don't bother going on about it either ...) then there's the ignore function or you can choose to not read his threads? Not taking a side here, there shouldn't even be sides, but why bother saying anything? He posts how he posts.

Californian Elitist

If people don't like what he has to say or how he says it (I don't love all the name calling etc. but I also don't bother going on about it either ...) then there's the ignore function or you can choose to not read his threads? Not taking a side here, there shouldn't even be sides, but why bother saying anything? He posts how he posts.

I have this same issue in the Disneyland forum, as you know. I've had multiple people tell me to stop repeating myself, include "...in my opinion," in my posts, and ask me to stop expressing my opinion overall. I always tell them the same thing, use the ignore tool, it's there for a reason.

Anyways, in regards to Club 33, besides it being an obvious cash-crab, I don't understand the point of putting similar offerings in he other parks around the world, considering the origins of the original.

Otterhead

If people don't like what he has to say or how he says it (I don't love all the name calling etc. but I also don't bother going on about it either ...) then there's the ignore function or you can choose to not read his threads?
Yes, he can (and is now) ignored. I feel like there's an inordinate number of members who truly enjoy making others feel bad about enjoying WDW, which is strange on a forum called WDW Magic. I certainly hope I never get as bitter and angry about the world as those people.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am not a Club 33 member, but I have dined there a couple times in the last 15 years and I have had a cocktail at the 1901 Lounge (Club 33 satellite location in California Adventure) as a guest of a member. I think you are misunderstanding the service level and operational needs of the Club 33 concept. It is not just a cheesy corporate lounge at Epcot for Exxon employees to get free Cokes and pretzels.

As one example, Club 33 requires a full staff of concierges. And not just WDW hotel "concierges" which are just college kids in ill-fitting polyester suits sitting at a desk in the Poly lounge to tell you that the parade is at 3 o'clock and Ohana is fully booked, all things anyone with an iPhone could do for themselves in 30 seconds. Club 33 concierges are actual, real-world concierges that arrange your guests entire Disneyland stay, from VIP tour guides to airport Town Car pickup to a club box at an Angels game and third row seats to the sold out Michael Buble concert at the Hollywood Bowl next weekend.

Then you've got hostesses at the door that pass out seasonally chilled or heated scented moist towels as you enter (to wipe off the theme park germs), a battalion of waiters and waitresses, bartenders and barbacks, the maitre'd, bussers, an entire kitchen staff, management and member services staff, live jazz bands and singers in the lounge, a live pianist in the lobby, etc., etc. It doesn't just take a village, it takes an army of staff to run Club 33 and 1901 Lounge for a day.

Quite frankly, with a $50,000 initiation fee and $12,000 annual dues after that and a multi-year waiting list to get in, I'm surprised that Disneyland makes much money on the whole thing after seeing the incredible level of staffing and service they provide members and their guests 365 days per year.

WDW management has a huge task to live up to the Club 33 service level. It can't just be a nicely decorated lounge with a bored bartender and a random college kid CM checking ID's at the door. WDW already has that middling lounge service with their "Deluxe Hotel Concierge Lounges" and the Epcot sponsorship lounges for every General Motors or Exxon middle manager and his sweaty kids. Club 33 is something very, very different. And it's not cheap to operate.

I assume TDO and WDW management understand what they are getting themselves into with this. :confused:
I have a feeling the WDW versions will be staffed entirely with CP's majoring in hospitality.

Kman101

Yes, he can (and is now) ignored. I feel like there's an inordinate number of members who truly enjoy making others feel bad about enjoying WDW, which is strange on a forum called WDW Magic. I certainly hope I never get as bitter and angry about the world as those people.

I understand how you can get that impression. I don't think the majority (though maybe there are a few, but I would sincerely hope not) sit around looking for ways to rain on other's parades. We all do care about the place at the end of the day. Some are just more ... passionate than others.

BernardandBianca

Interesting that you agree that the majority of people staying in deluxe resorts are "white trash". So what classifies someone as "white trash"?

And this is the problem with people (and the media) today - misquoting other people to somehow further their agenda. While WDW1974 doesn't need someone else fighting on his behalf, I just couldn't let this one go; the original message never said "the majority of people", it just generally referred to a significant number of people.

Kman101

I have this same issue in the Disneyland forum, as you know. I've had multiple people tell me to stop repeating myself, include "...in my opinion," in my posts, and ask me to stop expressing my opinion overall. I always tell them the same thing, use the ignore tool, it's there for a reason.

Anyways, in regards to Club 33, besides it being an obvious cash-crab, I don't understand the point of putting similar offerings in he other parks around the world, considering the origins of the original.

Yeah, I don't get it. We're all just expressing our own opinion.

I don't understand Club 33 coming to WDW either besides it being an obvious cash-grab.

Kman101

And wanted to add, I guess maybe I'm just used to some of the perceived negativity so I just breeze by it and engage when I feel I have something to say. I (mostly, not always! LOL) just don't think it's necessarily worth it to always point out the negativity or even worry about it. Just breeze by it and post. We spend so much time on going back and forth on who's being negative, who's a "pixie duster" that it seems a little silly to me.

Otterhead

I don't understand Club 33 coming to WDW either besides it being an obvious cash-grab.
On one level, of course it's a 'cash grab', in other words, a way to generate revenue. Giving their top-tier guests an expensive private club is most definitely catering to people with money, just as the original is.

But on another, it's about PR. It's a way for Disney to give VIP guests a VIP experience that doesn't affect everyone else. Someone who can afford it isn't being shuttled into the front of lines or being given private tables at popular restaurants, bumping everyday travelers. They can go hang out at their own club and feel like they're being catered to. I'll never be one of those people, but I get that.

Kman101

On one level, of course it's a 'cash grab', in other words, a way to generate revenue. Giving their top-tier guests an expensive private club is most definitely catering to people with money, just as the original is.

But on another, it's about PR. It's a way for Disney to give VIP guests a VIP experience that doesn't affect everyone else. Someone who can afford it isn't being shuttled into the front of lines or being given private tables at popular restaurants, bumping everyday travelers. They can go hang out at their own club and feel like they're being catered to. I'll never be one of those people, but I get that.

I get it too but I also get that it was a unique experience to Disneyland. Now it's everywhere. But I get it. I have no problem if someone can spend that kind of money, more power to 'em. Will never be me either LOL

Otterhead

I get it too but I also get that it was a unique experience to Disneyland. Now it's everywhere.
What I'm curious about is if and how they implement this. Club 33 is such a unique, historic element of Disneyland, made to fit organically within New Orleans Square. If they just literally put a "Club 33" in, say, Liberty Square, or down a Main Street side-street, it'll be pretty cheesy, I totally agree. It'll feel cheap. But a similar sort of private club made to fit uniquely in Magic Kingdom -- say, an Adventurer's Club in Adventureland? That would be pretty special.

Kman101

What I'm curious about is if and how they implement this. Club 33 is such a unique, historic element of Disneyland, made to fit organically within New Orleans Square. If they just literally put a "Club 33" in, say, Liberty Square, or down a Main Street side-street, it'll be pretty cheesy, I totally agree. It'll feel cheap. But a similar sort of private club made to fit uniquely in Magic Kingdom -- say, an Adventurer's Club in Adventureland? That would be pretty special.

I agree. I'm very curious to see how they implement them and theme them. It seems no one can really give an answer on where these are going. I guess it's all still up in the air but they must have some idea where they are all going to go. I don't know why it's a big secret. We know where it's at in Disneyland, etc. ...

Biff215

I agree. I'm very curious to see how they implement them and theme them. It seems no one can really give an answer on where these are going. I guess it's all still up in the air but they must have some idea where they are all going to go. I don't know why it's a big secret. We know where it's at in Disneyland, etc. ...
Right now, it appears the Club 33 lounges/bars will be located at Skipper Canteen at MK, AA at EPCOT, Brown Derby at the park with no name or identity and at Tiffins/new build addition at DAK.

'74 is the only one to put an actual list out so far, which of course is subject to change as Disney isn't likely 100% set on them yet. All have been mentioned in guesses so no big surprises here.

Otterhead

Fan does not equal sycophant.
Very true! I guess what I mean is that I've noticed a great deal of hostility and sneering towards anyone who takes a positive attitude towards various parts of WDW; if you say something like "well, they might be changing X, but I'd like to see what they have in mind before assuming the worst," you're called names. I think it's a little strange that NOT being cynical and bitter is seen as unusual.

Kman101

Very true! I guess what I mean is that I've noticed a great deal of hostility and sneering towards anyone who takes a positive attitude towards various parts of WDW; if you say something like "well, they might be changing X, but I'd like to see what they have in mind before assuming the worst," you're called names. I think it's a little strange that NOT being cynical and bitter is seen as unusual.

Personally I've seen it both ways ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom