Closures for Publicity???

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I am just wondering how many people agree in thinking that the oddly (and super soon) closure of The Great Movie Ride is a ploy to get more people to HS and Disney World itself this summer??

EricsBiscuit

Lol. This decreases park capacity for the next 2 years. That affects their bottom line more than a small bump from the small amount of people that care about those attractions enough to schedule another trip. Whether they make thematic sense, or not, they both will be better than their predecessors.

Bolt

I am just wondering how many people agree in thinking that the oddly (and super soon) closure of The Great Movie Ride is a ploy to get more people to HS and Disney World itself this summer??
It is not related - this has been in the works for a few years and wasn't an idea driven to 'boost attendance'. It's more of - 'we want everything up by Star Wars opening'.

Bolt

Also - a ploy to me would be 'Ride Closes August 13th - but for $49/night from August 14th-September 1st you can ride GMR and have a dessert party after hours!'

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I wouldn't put it past them. Remember how they milked the last season of the Osborne Lights (to include an extension or two to squeeze out those last couple of tourist dollars).

jt04

No. Actually they are striving to have as tight of a closure for GMR as possible. Ellen's closure is more suspect to me, but not for publicity. There is no way they need that building closed for four years.

I imagine they need to spread all those new capital expenditures over at least a few years. That is not uneasonable.

ToTBellHop

I imagine they need to spread all those new capital expenditures over at least a few years. That is not uneasonable.
I'm not questioning GotG's opening date--only EEA's closing date. Maybe I'm wrong and they need four years, but I doubt it. They have a good deal of prep work to do behind the pavilion for the new ride building which needs to start soon, but I can't imagine how that impacts the EEA ride building this year.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It wouldn't surprise me if that dino exhibit didnt get sold or find itself in a musueum, so it has to be catalogged, diss assembled orderly, etc. its massive.

jt04

I'm not questioning GotG's opening date--only EEA's closing date. Maybe I'm wrong and they need four years, but I doubt it. They have a good deal of prep work to do behind the pavilion for the new ride building which needs to start soon, but I can't imagine how that impacts the EEA ride building this year.

They will save a lot on maintenance and labor costs and can spread construction over several quarters. Assuming it is opening in 2021. It could be sooner.

If you make a list of all the projects being developed in the states, it is a lot of money. Always look at the bigger picture.

The Empress Lilly

They will save a lot on maintenance and labor costs and can spread construction over several quarters. Assuming it is opening in 2021. It could be sooner.

If you make a list of all the projects being developed in the states, it is a lot of money. Always look at the bigger picture.
Yes, they save a few pennies by closing a ride prematurely. Good for them, rubbish for us.

Those that actually visit the parks - me and my little Ariel in September - will see our beloved dinosaurs closed for no reason whatsoever besides somebody scraping a few dollars from the bottom of the barrel.

lazyboy97o

It’s seems more likely that Disney was concerned about a prolonged, negative reaction. Neither closure was announced during the D23 presentation, with absolutely nothing to allude to the The Great Movie Ride in said presentation.

wendysue

With the closures of GMR, etc. and the constant construction projects...roads, etc., the whole place is a mess. We canceled Sept. trip and don't even know when or if we will reschedule. Things are just changing too fast for me. It seems like every time I return, something else that I love is GONE! More DVC and less affordable rooms. What used to be magical to us just looks like a huge tourist trap now. (I know it always has been, but it didn't SEEM like it was so much until now). Sorry, just my opinion, and a sad one, at that...

_caleb

Yeah. I love the idea of new attractions, but I don't understand why they would close a current (if outdated and unpopular) functioning ride when there are several places that are ALREADY closed that could be developed first. In other words, build something new in a closed pavilion before closing another!

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Maybe, if it wasn't for the fact that construction permits for the new ride were filed shortly before the closure was officially announced, so it looks like work will start right away on the new ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom