Clermont?

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Aren't there areas out in Clermont (west of WDW) where you can have a bit of country living and still see the fireworks? I'm not looking for a $400k home where my kids can have a waterslide, etc...lol

Something 3 bedroom/2 bath with a decent school system (and a pool) would work, lol...

speck76

Clermont housing is much more affordable that Orange county...you get a lot more for your money. Also, the area is growing fast, so more and more services and shops are available each month.

One drawback to Clermont is that in order to reach Orange County, you really only have 2 roads....192 and 50. Also, when searching for a home, "Clermont" runs from north of 50 to south of 192, which is about a 25 mile strech along US 27.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
speck76 said:
Also, when searching for a home, "Clermont" runs from north of 50 to south of 192, which is about a 25 mile strech along US 27.

I noticed that...from way up near the Florida Citrus Tower all the way down to 192...that's one big city, lol...

remingtonsteele

I just moved to the part of Clermont just off 192, Cagan Crossings. You can hear Wishes from here, but I don't think there are many places in Clermont to actually see the fireworks. There is certainly a lot of housing being built along this part of 27, starting from the 120's and up.

remingtonsteele said:
I just moved to the part of Clermont just off 192, Cagan Crossings. You can hear Wishes from here, but I don't think there are many places in Clermont to actually see the fireworks. There is certainly a lot of housing being built along this part of 27, starting from the 120's and up.

well I litterly live around the conner from you on 192 and can see wishes from My apt and I believe the housing delevolpment in Clermont called legends is up on a hill and I think they can see disney all though the fireworks would be small from that distance plus legends is dead smack in the middle of 50 and 192 so its a drive everywhere you want to go.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, spoke to the wife about it and decided to go ahead and apply for a few jobs and see what shakes out. It seems housing in Clermont is pretty reasonable. Another other nearby locations that are nice and yet still have reasonable housing.

I don't need any of those places that have waterslides and monster-designed pool, lol...

speck76

Davenport, which is just south of Clermont, (just north of where US 27 hits I-4) is growning fast, lots of new homes at good prices.

Stay away from Poinciana...that area is growing fast, and the homes are cheap....but the homes are CHEAP, and that is not good.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, I received a reply already that could be a positive... I guess I'd better go sit in a steam room for a few weeks so I'm ready for the summers in case we do move...

KevinPage

One word of caution about Clermont, which has alot of growth going on right right. It is a bit "out of the way" if you need to commute to a job in Downtown Orlando or north of there in Maitland and Altamonte Springs. Those are areas where alot of jobs are located.

I agree with speck, stay away from Poinciana, not a desirable area to live. Everywhere is Central Florida is essentially "booming", but you should know what areas are desirable in terms of resale value and in relation to jobs.

St. Cloud is very out of the way as well as Davenport

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info. Right now I have a 36 mile commute each way to work and back. I drive a 94 RX-7, and as long as part of the commute can be turned into a "spirited drive" I'm fine with it. :D

KevinPage

I had a 40 mile commute, going from Celebration to East Orlando, but it was a toll road, which people do not use all that much down here, so it was only a 38 minute door-to-door commute.

Recently we purchased a home alot closer to work. Further from Disney, but Celebration house prices are one of the reasons I left NY in the first place.

I really would reccomend, taking at least a few vacation days, renting a car and driving all over the Central Florida area. Do a little homework before you go, get a list of towns to explore and go nuts. Things can be a little spread out here, but there aer soooo many communities going up all over the place, it can be a bit daunting trying to do everything over the computer.

FYI, planned communites and towns are the latest trend, which is a good thing. Celebration is the most copies town design around right now. And to think of all the people who criticized it then and to this day :lol:

speck76

Celebration is a copy in itself....

Anyway, if you are looking for a high-tech job, the Clermont area might be on the wrong side of Orlando, as many of the high-tech jobs are based around UCF, which is on the east side of Orlando.

I agree with Kevin, come down, get lost a few times, and learn about the different communities in Orlando....Orlando is not as big as the Detroit area, but it is spread out.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, I found out (you gotta follow this relationship closely) my best friend/brother-in-law (we married sisters) has a step-sister (from his Dad's 2nd marriage) and her fiance are trying to find a place in College Park. I was talking with her last night and told her I was looking out near Clermont/Davenport.

She laughed at me for wanting to live so far out there, and I laughed at her for wanting to live in a closet right in town. (We are complete opposites from each other.) But, she got ahold of her fiance and is going to have him talk to their agent and maybe get me a bit of advice.

Now I need to get home from this silly airstream rally so I can freshen up the resume (that's what happens when you get comfortable and work at the same place a few years). Then I'll probably try and find a list of recruiters. Anyone down there use a recruiter and have any recommendations?

And just wanted to give another thanks to KevinPage, MKT, Speck (fellow Michigander), remingtonsteele, 10 mins, etc... for continuously giving me valuable insights into moving near WDW. If they'd let me give you guys multiple good rep points. I guess I'll have to buy (those of you over 21) you guys an icy cold one during the F&W Festival at Epcot when we make it down.
:sohappy:

Man, left for work at 4:30 am so I could leave early and try and avoid some 4th of July traffic and can't type to save my life. :snore:

KevinPage

College Park is OLD and right downtown. To me the point of moving to Florida, which has so much building going on is to get a new or recently built home.

We purchased a 2 year old house. We were looking to build new, but didn't have the patienc for it :lol:

MichRX7

Premium Member
Original Poster
I really don't care at this point. My reason is to be as close to the magic as possible and still have some money left in the bank. ;)

Well, that and to not have everyone living in the same room so it has to be at least a 3-bedroom house if not a 4-bedroom.

spr0m

I'm transferring to our office across from UCF next month. Going down and touring the area is great advice also look into renting a place for 6-12 months before jumping in on a house. We looked at the new "cookie cutter" developments and were turned off. We want big trees and some space in between houses I wouldn't see my neighbor drinking coffee every morning LOL. We are working with an agent in Winter Springs and looking in Seminole County. If you take 417 you can be in the MK parking lot in 35-40 mins we did this one night to treat the kids to dinner at the Crystal Palace after a day of looking at houses and neighborhoods. Most of the high tech jobs are around UCF and north of downtown why waste time in the car buy a place up that way and spend that extra time with the family. I currently commute 45min each way in NJ and want a less than 30 min commute down there so I can spend the extra time with the kiddies.

KevinPage

Since there are so many communites that are new or very young, it will take some time for the trees to grow larger.

My development has a ton oftres, but not alot of shade since the trees are only 2 1/2 years old. I lived in Celebration which was 10 years old, so the trees were nice and big and gave it a very nice appearance. Just a matter of time.

Alot of the developments have zero lot lines, you'll find more "close together" houses than ones that are further apart. i'm used to the further apart, but don't really mind the closeness. Granted I can't walk around naked as much as I'd like too, but those are the brakes in life :lol:

KevinPage

speck76 said:
Thank God for that! :D

That's what the wife says. She has the Elaine Benes approach to a man's bosy, "it's like a Jeep, it's used for getting around. A woman's body is a work of art" :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom