Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

MoonRakerSCM

Went to Jazz Kitchen for Fat Tuesday yesterday (meh)... In Mickey and Friends we noted every isle (on Donald at least) had newly installed cable trays running the entire length of it hanging from the ceiling. Thoughts? Our guess was they might be installing those red light/green light sensors for open parking spaces? Would make sense to utilize parking in the structures during passholder heavy evenings...

shortstop

Went to Jazz Kitchen for Fat Tuesday yesterday (meh)... In Mickey and Friends we noted every isle (on Donald at least) had newly installed cable trays running the entire length of it hanging from the ceiling. Thoughts? Our guess was they might be installing those red light/green light sensors for open parking spaces? Would make sense to utilize parking in the structures during passholder heavy evenings...
To be honest I’m shocked they don’t have those already... it’s such a pain when you drive all the way down a row and there aren’t any spots left so you have to circle back around.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I have to think the structure itself will be done. But some of the logistical and aesthetic stuff may not be completed.

I predict a mid-June opening.

Darkbeer1

I wonder if they could open some of it; push to get 2 or 3 floors ready by 31 May. I have no idea if the building codes allow for that, but it's an interesting thought.
The BIGGEST Issue will be the redesign and addition of more toll booth lanes from the Disneyland Drive Entrance to the Parking Structures. Disney needs to make sure the flyover bridge (and Southbound Disneyland Drive entrance) do not back up, causing issues on Ball Road and other public streets.

More than likely, Pumbaa, Simba and the Katella CM lots will be used for guest parking, along with Toy Story to take much of the increased demand until Disney can get the Cleo Structure and the revised vehicle entrances/exits fully operational.

TP2000

The BIGGEST Issue will be the redesign and addition of more toll booth lanes from the Disneyland Drive Entrance to the Parking Structures. Disney needs to make sure the flyover bridge (and Southbound Disneyland Drive entrance) do not back up, causing issues on Ball Road and other public streets.

More than likely, Pumbaa, Simba and the Katella CM lots will be used for guest parking, along with Toy Story to take much of the increased demand until Disney can get the Cleo Structure and the revised vehicle entrances/exits fully operational.

That makes me think September.

DanielBB8

Aside from operations, the physical construction to add more toll booths and roadwork shouldn’t take more than a week. The new parking structure is closed so all this occurs when it’s not being used. They can already divert the traffic to the new parking structure. There are many ways to disperse traffic to quickly finish the parking structure.

Darkbeer1

Aside from operations, the physical construction to add more toll booths and roadwork shouldn’t take more than a week. The new parking structure is closed so all this occurs when it’s not being used. They can already divert the traffic to the new parking structure. There are many ways to disperse traffic to quickly finish the parking structure.

But Disney designed the structure to NOT change any public roadway, which includes the Flyover Bridge.

So there is an issue. The current Tram Loading area is a key component to the new toll booths, so you have to have the new Tram Loading area done and open, and the new Pedestrian Bridge open.

And it is better to do it right and will work for years, then some rushed option.

You have to figure to expand the toll booths, the main exit from M&F will have to be changed, and a bridge on Disney property will be added for that purpose. But until the Tram Loading area is moved, nothing can happen.

Darkbeer1

Key Improvements Reduce Back Up On City Streets by:

• Increasing by more than 60% the ability to stack cars in the ground-level entry lanes before the parking kiosks.
  • Doubling parking kiosk capacity by providing more entrances and lanes to handle increased attendance and loading.
  • Adding more staffing per parking kiosk to accelerate loading of cars.<<

Darkbeer1

Let me add, I was looking for a specific piece of artwork focused on the Toll Lane area, but it might been one I got to see, but can't share.

So I think I won't go too much more into details, I think I have said enough for now.....

Darkbeer1

>But, meanwhile, Disney is also working to beef up its existing parking, especially since more people than ever are expected to arrive for the advent of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in June.

The latest effort is the installation of parking sensors, which began in January, that will tell drivers at once how many empty spaces exist on each floor, and where they might be located.

Many people are familiar with this technology from shopping malls, where it’s been used now for years. Disney hasn’t said specifically which technology is being installed. Various systems use magnetic, radio-frequency sensors or cameras to monitor the number of slots available, though there’s competing technology as to how to do it.

Disneyland Resort officials said that the sensors will display available spots on each floor. Drivers on the prowl will see a green light when they drive down a row where a space is open. Digital signs at the end of each row will indicate how many spaces are available.

Each floor requires several weeks of installation, calibration and testing, Disney officials said. The work should not affect guests to the park. Officials hope the system will begin operations in a limited way in June.<<

MoonRakerSCM

Ah, there it is. Hopefully will be a solution to going down an isle, being too greedy, and missing the last available parking spot and having to go around again.

DanielBB8

But Disney designed the structure to NOT change any public roadway, which includes the Flyover Bridge.

So there is an issue. The current Tram Loading area is a key component to the new toll booths, so you have to have the new Tram Loading area done and open, and the new Pedestrian Bridge open.

And it is better to do it right and will work for years, then some rushed option.

You have to figure to expand the toll booths, the main exit from M&F will have to be changed, and a bridge on Disney property will be added for that purpose. But until the Tram Loading area is moved, nothing can happen.
They haven’t started yet to build the bridge so I would think guests will continue to cross the streets via crosswalk. This is much easier with the new parking structure closest to Downtown Disney. Since crossing the streets don’t rely on the trams, the trams are not as important. They can slowly workout their configuration, which will definitely change after traffic patterns are further refined.

I don’t know how you can relate the toll booths with the trams. Certainly the toll booths can’t hold back car capacity to sync with the trams. This will cascade into the streets. Trams will never match up with car arrival and I would think Disney prefers people to walk. Disney should add moving walkways to encourage more walking. If there’s moving walkways on each level of the new parking structure, guests from the original Mickey & Friends will use them as the preferred pathway. It’s a 1.5 mile walk.

jzramom

The latest effort is the installation of parking sensors, which began in January, that will tell drivers at once how many empty spaces exist on each floor, and where they might be located.

Many people are familiar with this technology from shopping malls, where it’s been used now for years. Disney hasn’t said specifically which technology is being installed. Various systems use magnetic, radio-frequency sensors or cameras to monitor the number of slots available, though there’s competing technology as to how to do it.

Disneyland Resort officials said that the sensors will display available spots on each floor. Drivers on the prowl will see a green light when they drive down a row where a space is open. Digital signs at the end of each row will indicate how many spaces are available.

Each floor requires several weeks of installation, calibration and testing, Disney officials said. The work should not affect guests to the park. Officials hope the system will begin operations in a limited way in June.<<

Do these sensors show blue for the disabled parking spots available???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom