Cleanliness Reassurance during COVID-19?

Kaitlin Murphy

I have a few trips planned for weekends in October and December. The closer I get to my trip the more I’m starting to worry if going right now is truly safe? I know they haven’t had many issues reported, but I’m wondering if it’s reckless to go at all during a time like this, or if those of you who have went or can give some insight on how reckless it really seems to go might have some advice. I’m coming from NJ, if that makes a difference.

Nutso4Disney

In the Parks
No
My boyfriend and I were just there a few weeks ago and I have to say I felt truly comfortable and it seemed really clean and the measures the staff seemed to be taken were top notch as far as I could tell. I would still suggest hand sanitizer, washing hands quite a bit as well and wiping down knobs and handles if you feel the need to do so in your room which I really never felt the need to do.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think cleanliness is in question. Cast are constantly cleaning everything. I think it comes down to how comfortable you are around other people. No amount of cleaning can help with person to person contact. Mask compliance is good, and Disney are very strict at enforcing it.

This will give you an idea of what it is like

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Disney is probably the cleanest, safest place to be from what I've read and seen on these boards. Also, you'd be hard-pressed to find any place else with so many kind, considerate, mask-abiding humans. I wouldn't worry about visiting.
Flew to Orlando and our plane was full. Everyone on board had their mask on unless if they were eating or drinking but that wasn't much from what I saw.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

While we haven't been to WDW yet in all of this (going in February), we did go on a road trip in July and stayed at four different hotels. I traveled with my own cleaning supplies in case we wound up anywhere that didn't feel clean, but I also bought a mini UV light air purifier/sanitizer to plug in at each room. You really have no way of knowing that it's working, but I figured it couldn't hurt to have it.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
If you do not feel comfortable then I'd say stay home.
I personally will not be going for quite some time mostly because of the mandatory quarantine when I return and the fact that I live with my senior parents (although they themselves may be going to Florida in November as per usual but will not be going to the theme parks).
As far as it being clean... Think of it this way.... Disney is much more sanitary that it has EVER been. I would not hesitate to go if I lived alone and could stay clear of my parents for a couple of weeks.

Upvote 0

Nutso4Disney

In the Parks
No
If you do not feel comfortable then I'd say stay home.
I personally will not be going for quite some time mostly because of the mandatory quarantine when I return and the fact that I live with my senior parents (although they themselves may be going to Florida in November as per usual but will not be going to the theme parks).
As far as it being clean... Think of it this way.... Disney is much more sanitary that it has EVER been. I would not hesitate to go if I lived alone and could stay clear of my parents for a couple of weeks.
This is the thinking people should be using. Common sense thinking that is appropriate for each individual is exactly what will make people make better decisions for themselves. My boyfriend and I were just recently at WDW a few weeks ago and we were comfortable with our decision. We are both young and we live together at home anyway. Each person has to weigh their own situation differently. I can tell you that while I was at Disney my room was spotless and I had no issue and did not feel uncomfortable with the cleanliness, but that doesn't mean you will not. The same goes with any place among the WDW property. So each person has to use there own judgement.

Upvote 1

cmb5002

We just finished a 10 day stay. In the parks and at Disney springs cleaning, mask compliance, and mask enforcement are excellent. Well and above the best I have seen since the start of covid. There are hand sanitizers located at the entrance and exit of every ride, and at food locations (including festival kiosks). They have added portable handwashing stations thought the parks.

The "worst" mask compliance we saw was after hours walking around the Epcot hotels. Mask compliance was lower in areas without other people, maybe 60-75%. Most still wore them or put them on when they saw us coming, and those that didn't, we were able to stay well away from due to the width of the paths.

Suffice to say we felt more at risk doing our pre-trip shopping and traveling to Orlando than we ever did in the parks.

A few asides; we saw many managers out and about, so it wasn't just low level staff enforcing the mask rule; every single line spilled out of its queue-don't let that discourage you since most wait times seem to be overstated by at least 15 minutes and often as much as 30. I don't think we ever waited longer than the posted time, even with the cleanings; even loading rides at 50% those lines move fast without fastpasses mucking things up.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I'm sure you are doing things at home and are going places in your home area. In my home area I'm seeing lots of people that are in stores without masks, people are dining without masks, on the news I'm seeing masses of people not wearing masks, sports players are playing non masked, and life is going on. My comfort level and my willing to risk getting out and doing things doesnt hold me back from enjoying what I can in my day. Disney is doing what they are being asked to do to provide as safe an environment as can be expected. I'd feel safer being there than many other places I go to now at home.

Upvote 0

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I say this as someone who hasn't stepped foot inside a grocery store or Target (I know it misses me and my wallet) since COVID started, I would be totally comfortable staying at a Disney hotel. They are going above and beyond what other resorts are doing and offering enhanced cleaning all throughout. There are risks with everything we do, but with the mask requirements and cleaning, I feel they are doing much better than most. I'm actually looking into booking a quick birthday trip for me next month! But stick with your comfort level. Don't go if you will be anxious the whole time, that wouldn't be fun. I say, go with your gut!

Upvote 0

The4mousekeeters

Having been recently, we were able to stay well within what we felt was our comfort zone in regards to masks, distancing, etc. (It was really important to us for masks to be worn and spacing to be followed)
Disney Springs was the most crowded so we did not do as much there as we normally would, but still enjoyed our night.
We really enjoyed our trip and we left feeling so glad we chose to go.

Upvote 0

jenldi

We just finished up our vacation and we felt safe at all times. We're a 40-something couple who have been working from home and venturing out just to run errands. We take basic precautions such as wearing a mask, washing hands and eat only at restaurants that have outdoor dining. If we could have cancelled we would have but we rented DVC points so it was a use it or lose it situation.

Mask compliance was very high. CMs would remind people that the mask had to cover the nose and weren't to be taken off for pix. People were really good about maintaining physical distancing. CMs limited the number of people in every store (go shopping when you arrive or earlier in the day). We were able to eat nearly all our meals outside - had dinner at Contempo Cafe which was empty as the hotel wasn't open and Chef Mickey was open just for breakfast. Mobile ordering was great so no crowds ordering food.

Upvote 0

EdnaMode

I say this as someone who hasn't stepped foot inside a grocery store or Target (I know it misses me and my wallet) since COVID started, I would be totally comfortable staying at a Disney hotel. They are going above and beyond what other resorts are doing and offering enhanced cleaning all throughout. There are risks with everything we do, but with the mask requirements and cleaning, I feel they are doing much better than most. I'm actually looking into booking a quick birthday trip for me next month! But stick with your comfort level. Don't go if you will be anxious the whole time, that wouldn't be fun. I say, go with your gut!

I haven't been to Target 🎯or grocery shopping since March 8th, and I'm staying in a Disney Hotel right now, so....

I haven't seen a single person cleaning railings, elevator buttons, tables in common areas, etc in the hotel. Everyone is wearing masks, compliance is very high, and I'm sure that the cast is cleaning well between guests checking out/into rooms. But I'm just not seeing cleaning and/or disinfection in the hotel. And, btw, I'm not seeing it in the parks either. I saw one crew in the last 8 days cleaning railings in the parks. Not once have I seen people cleaning ride vehicles or been in a line that was held while vehicles were cleaned. I have seen three empty sanitizers (out of a zillion) and two hand washing stations out of water (out of ten or twelve I've noticed and tried to use.) I definitely have seen wait staff disinfecting tables and chairs between use, that is very consistent.

Not trying to discourage anyone going (after, I'm here, and it's not against my own will.) I personally just haven't observed much in the way of cleaning and disinfection procedures happening in real time.

Upvote 0

aliceismad

Read some of the trip reports. I think that will help you get a better idea of what the situation is. :)

Elsewhere someone posted this, but the Orange County Register in CA recently had a story that said there have been zero outbreaks related to theme parks since they reopened. I know DLR is pushing to try to reopen.

Upvote 0

cmb5002

I haven't been to Target 🎯or grocery shopping since March 8th, and I'm staying in a Disney Hotel right now, so....

I haven't seen a single person cleaning railings, elevator buttons, tables in common areas, etc in the hotel. Everyone is wearing masks, compliance is very high, and I'm sure that the cast is cleaning well between guests checking out/into rooms. But I'm just not seeing cleaning and/or disinfection in the hotel. And, btw, I'm not seeing it in the parks either. I saw one crew in the last 8 days cleaning railings in the parks. Not once have I seen people cleaning ride vehicles or been in a line that was held while vehicles were cleaned. I have seen three empty sanitizers (out of a zillion) and two hand washing stations out of water (out of ten or twelve I've noticed and tried to use.) I definitely have seen wait staff disinfecting tables and chairs between use, that is very consistent.

Not trying to discourage anyone going (after, I'm here, and it's not against my own will.) I personally just haven't observed much in the way of cleaning and disinfection procedures happening in real time.
Huh. Not going to discount your experience, but that doesn't match mine. I stayed at BWV; I saw a janitor walking around and wiping down the common touch points around the pool multiple times during the day (thank you free pool view upgrade). I didn't see them wipe down the elevators, but I typically use the stairs and they did have sani-wipes at the 2nd floor elevator lobby, with hand sanitizer at other floors.

As for handrails in the parks, I didn't keep track of how often I saw it, but I definitely saw them cleaned more than once. For the attractions I witnessed them spraying down Small World, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Flying Saucers, 3 Caballeros, and Safari. Seems like the general procedure is to spray and load every other vehicle, run them all through the attraction, and then switch. I think that's done every 2 hours, at minimum? Honestly seemed more often than that. Even when I couldn't see load/unload, I noticed when the line slowed down for the cleanings.

Maybe just a difference in timing?

Upvote 0

EdnaMode

Huh. Not going to discount your experience, but that doesn't match mine. I stayed at BWV; I saw a janitor walking around and wiping down the common touch points around the pool multiple times during the day (thank you free pool view upgrade). I didn't see them wipe down the elevators, but I typically use the stairs and they did have sani-wipes at the 2nd floor elevator lobby, with hand sanitizer at other floors.

As for handrails in the parks, I didn't keep track of how often I saw it, but I definitely saw them cleaned more than once. For the attractions I witnessed them spraying down Small World, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Flying Saucers, 3 Caballeros, and Safari. Seems like the general procedure is to spray and load every other vehicle, run them all through the attraction, and then switch. I think that's done every 2 hours, at minimum? Honestly seemed more often than that. Even when I couldn't see load/unload, I noticed when the line slowed down for the cleanings.

Maybe just a difference in timing?

Probably so. I had heard they were stopping lines for a short time every 2 hours to disinfect all of the vehicles, but I just haven't observed it or experienced it myself. I'm honestly not too concerned about it because we've washed our hands and sanitized them freakishly.

Upvote 0

Raxel7851

Probably so. I had heard they were stopping lines for a short time every 2 hours to disinfect all of the vehicles, but I just haven't observed it or experienced it myself. I'm honestly not too concerned about it because we've washed our hands and sanitized them freakishly.
We just came back from 10 days at Disney. 3 at FW campground and 7 at the Contemporary. First FW. When our neighbor left their site, within 30 minutes there was a crew there cleaning and sanitizing everything. At the Contemporary, what we saw was very encouraging. Every time we used the escalator, there was a CM wiping down the moving handrails. There was another CM constantly cleaning tables at the Contempo Cafe. At the parks there was regular cleaning at Pirates, the HM, Jungle Cruise, etc. I’m not sure where you stayed, but the cleanliness at Disney is topnotch. Funny you didn’t mention what resort you’re staying at. Just saying. Most, and I emphasize most, guests were social distancing and wearing masks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom