Classics have to Die Sooner or Later Part 2

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Now we had finished talking about the end of the World of Motion but what happened to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride? The beloved children's attraction at the Magic Kingdom. And why did they replace it with Winnie the Pooh? Here is the answer.

The Walt Disney World management team seems to pay attention to complaints that are given by guests about their attractions. The attraction with the most complaints by parents at least, was Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. What may be the problem? Could it be that the ride is too jerky or the ride is too dark? Nope. The fact that at the end, guests temporarily go to Hell. Many parents were outrages with the fact that images of devils and Hell were seen in a Disney attraction. But then why Winnie the Pooh to replace the beloved attraction? MONEY. Winnie the Pooh makes $4 billion for Disney each year on merchandising alone, so it just made sense to replace the old attraction with a Pooh ride and store. This was not met without controversary. Many hard-core Toad Fans created a website and wrote angry letters to Disney to keep the attraction and to build the Pooh ride to somewhere else.

Want to guess who won?

In the end, despite their whining and complaining, Disney shut down the ride. Now many of those who hated the idea of Pooh ride replacing Toad, now love the attraction. In fact, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is the highest rated attraction in the Magic Kingdom below Space Mountain. Though some still complain (by the way the Toad website is still up and running SaveToad.com), few can say too many bad things about this cuddly, old bear.

Till Tomorrow, See Ya!!! :cool:

Scooter

Although Mr Toad was a Classic at Magic Kingdom, I thought it was outdated and was ready to be replaced. The use of stand up cut out dolls with Day-Glo paint was cool in the 70's but it just looked cheesy in the end. Winnie The Pooh is extremely popular with adults as well as children. I know many Adult Pooh collecters and they spend lots of money on their Pooh related stuff. Just look around and see how many people (Especially Women) are wearing Pooh attire.
The Pooh ride is loved by most people, especially the Bouncing Tigger effect. Check out the faces of the people in front of and behind you the next time your on the ride...it's fun to see the smiles.
I say...so long Mr Toad. You've had your day in the Sun. Let Winnie the Pooh and Friends have a go at it for awhile.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
People just don't recognize The Wind in the Willows compared to the Winnie the Pooh books. Pooh is much more renowned then Toad.

Rooster

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
People just don't recognize The Wind in the Willows compared to the Winnie the Pooh books. Pooh is much more renowned then Toad.

You hit the nail on the head.:cool:

Tramp

The fact that at the end, guests temporarily go to Hell. Many parents were outrages with the fact that images of devils and Hell were seen in a Disney attraction.

Using this logic, can Snow White with all the evil witches be far behind....

While I don't dispute this was ONE of the reasons for shutting down/replacing the ride, it is very hard to believe that the complaints about HELL far outweigh the complaints about Snow White's witches that would warrant the ousting of the Toad and not the Princess.

As with most things in our country, what we may have seen is the will of the vocal minority thwarting the will of the silent majority.:mad:

I liked the Toad ride...they could've updated it with the 3 dimentional figures as they did with Snow White but 'name recognition' wins elections and gets you a ride in WDW.
Mr. Toad vs. Pooh is no contest.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
The top three attractions withe most complaints were:

Pirates of the Caribbean: being Politically Incorrect
Snow White: too scary
Toad: Temporarily go to Hell

PoC was rehabed and was adjusted so the women chased the men and there were less drinking. Snow White had a rehab back in 1995, I believe, and was made less scary (Can you tell the difference), and Toad was replaced with Winnie the Pooh. Problems solved.

Cosmo

Toad

I was one of those protesters when Toad closed. I posted fliers and wore my t-shirt and generally made a nerd of myself with the other protesting crowds once a month. Even went on a "Keys to the Kingdom" tour with my save toad shirt just to get a reaction.

I hate Pooh.

Haven't been on the ride, don't plan on it, sneer at all the people in line, and gag at the fact that the exit is located in a Pooh gift shop.

Long live the Toad:mad:

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
WINNIE THE POOH!...WINNIE THE POOH!

Just thought I'd annoy the Save Toad fans. Give it up. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is here to stay. I didn't like how Disney toned down Countdown to Extinction to DINOSAUR but I didn't make a huge protest about it. I just find it pathetic how people were that upset over a kiddie-Fantasyland attraction. Sorry but that is how I feel on the issue.

Smee

I would like to hear from anyone who thought PoC was offensive because of the pirates chasing the women. Was it truly people complaining or a case of the disney in-house politcally correct police changing a ride on their own initiative.

I have always found it hard to believe there were actually that many offended guests.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Many people compained that it hurt people mentally.

A woman who was raped was takened to WDW by her parents to get her back in the spirit. But when she saw the Pirates chasing the women, she got extremly upset. They complained to Disney.

Then there was this man who just quit drinking but when he saw the pirates drinking in the ride, he committed suicide a couple of days later. The family tried to sue Disney but they backed off.

Weird!

Cosmo

protest

Oh, come one...i'm fully well aware that our meagre protest to save the toad wouldn't work anymore than my current refusal to go on that "pooh" thing they call a ride. However, its just one more way of expressing the overall love and devotion a person has for disney. Kind of like those weirdos who spend all day on a computer typing responses to discussion forums about incredibly arcane details of what actually boils down to nothing more than a money-driven amusement park....

Let us Toad lovers be...go and kiss some pooh!

:D

Herbie53

Premium Member
WINNIE THE POOH!...WINNIE THE POOH!

Just thought I'd annoy the Save Toad fans. Give it up. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is here to stay. I didn't like how Disney toned down Countdown to Extinction to DINOSAUR but I didn't make a huge protest about it. I just find it pathetic how people were that upset over a kiddie-Fantasyland attraction. Sorry but that is how I feel on the issue.

I never liked Mr Toad's Wild Ride. I'm glad its gone, and I'm glad pooh is in its place. However, I commend those who fought for the ride they loved. I wish there had been as much fuss over Horizons. Unfortunately its hard to argue the bottomline. But that's no reason to let it go without a fight. It's hard to justify complaining if you sit back and allow yourself to be a victim.

I'd also like to add that protesting a ride removal is pointless, and the protestors hypocritical, if they give up when the replacement opens and act like there was never anything to get upset about. Showing support for the replacement justifies the removal of the lamented original.

Cosmo

Why is it pathetic to protest and speak out for something you like or believe in??? At least we/they DID something...heckuva lot better than sitting on your duff complaining!

As for being a hypocrit...i guess since i STILL don't support the pooh ride and wear my Toad shirt from time to time, the hypocrit label doesn't apply to me.

How can you spend your time writing your thoughts about things regarding disney then lambast those who grew up there and go on a regular basis and decide to take action (however futile) to let everyone know how they feel?

It was really cool to go there once a month and hang out with people who were true disney fans and ride a ride we all loved. I met alot of people and made some friends, and isn't that what its all about?:p

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by Cosmo

As for being a hypocrit...i guess since i STILL don't support the pooh ride and wear my Toad shirt from time to time, the hypocrit label doesn't apply to me.

Yes, the hypocrit comment was not meant to apply to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom