Trip Report Clappy Clap.....Welcome Back!! The Many "World Firsts" TR

Hello all & welcome!! I'm so happy to finally be able to do another TR!! It feels like forever since my last one--probably b/c it has been(at least that's the way I feel)!! So, I don't want to dwell on the negative b/c let's face it, we've all had a crappy year. 2020 has not been kind to us. But, along with the obvious I had 3 relatives pass within 3 months of each other. Then I knew I was losing my job of almost 28 years in July. We had a Disney trip booked in May that never happened. E rescheduled for June(I couldn't b/c of work) but we all know what happened there--access denied. I knew I wouldn't be able to go until August so she & J booked for then. Since I no longer had an existing reservation she figured she would add me on to her's. Little did we know that nothing would be that simple....

I'll fill you in on the drama as we go along....

WHEN: Tuesday, August 11th - Tuesday, August 18th

WHERE: Saratoga Springs(Spoiler--we really ended up enjoying our stay there. Of course, it's not our beloved Riverside but we agreed it had kind of the same "vibe". Being on the Sassagoula kind of helped with that also.)
IMG_6400.JPEG

THE DRAMA THAT WENT ALONG WITH IT:

E & J may have had a reservation but there was no room at the inn for me. E purposely got a 1 bedroom villa & thought it would be easy to add me to the reservation. Yeah, that wasn't happening. They were not accepting any modifications to existing reservations. It was getting down to the wire. She was able to make park reservations & I still couldn't be added on. Finally, all's well that ends well. After many weeks of trying she was able to add me on & I was able to get the same parks. Never fear though, as a few of my magic friends know I had a "Plan B" ready as a backup but fortunately didn't have to go that route.
IMG_6213.JPEG

Then there were the many flight changes Southwest kept imposing on us. Here was one they did for me that was particularly scary. What happened to Pittsburgh to Orlando? :oops: They had my return flight correct but that didn't mean anything b/c it didn't look like I'd be making it there to begin with!!
IMG_6202.JPEG

The loss of my job was weighing on me all year(I've known since January). Here's my desk during my final days.
IMG_6287.JPEG

The reason for the dates was I knew I would be done with my job by then. I figured I'd take a few weeks off. One week to get situated then the next week to go to Disney. After that I would come back and search for work. Sounds like the perfect plan, right?
While still employed the new company taking over was encouraging us to apply. I did but didn't think it would really go anywhere for a number of reasons. Lo & behold they made me an offer on July 30th & asked me if I could give them an answer the next day. They were planning on reopening the store August 16th--while I would be away!! I broke the news that I would be away then. The company was very receptive to it when I explained why I had planned it the way I did. I also figured I should totally come clean & mentioned that I had an October trip booked also!! At this point I thought for sure they wouldn't want me. I called the next day & accepted their offer. Originally the plan was that I would start on the 19th when I got back. They called me on the 1st & asked me to start on the 3rd so I could get some training time in before I went away. I was fine with it & did it but was scrambling to pack etc.

I'm happy to be back in the place I've worked all my life that is so much a part of me. I'm still learning to do things the way the new company does them but overall I'm happy with the way things are going.

E & family were very sweet to give me a good luck present when I started my new(old:hilarious:) job.
IMG_6308.JPEG

With not much time to pack I made sure to do it early. I actually packed 6 days before the trip. That's amazing for me!!
IMG_6328.JPEG

I also made sure to bring a large supply of masks. They would get gross in a hurry!!
IMG_6332.JPEG

THE TITLE: I have to start out by giving credit to @Rista1313!! I got the "Clappy Clap" part from a comment she had made in my last TR. So many magicians loved the saying & I thought it was quite catchy. The "Welcome Back" part is b/c I truly felt like we were really welcomed back by the CM's. They seemed genuinely happy to have guests there. Also, that song had been in my mind for quite some time. Has anyone seen the Applebee's commercial with that song in it? The first time I saw it I had tears in my eyes. It's very fitting & says a lot with little words. And, there were many "World Firsts" you'll see as we go along!!

WHO: I'm sure you've figured it out by now but we're back to the "same old" crew!! My sister E, my nephew J & myself, Patti!!
IMG_6724.JPG

No, I don't really care for pictures of my backside but I did think this was a neat picture--minus the castle colors. I'm still not a fan!!:cautious:

To all my friends out there reading, "Welcome Back"!!

Last edited:

Songbird76

She had highlights put in. I told her what you said & she was surprised that someone who doesn't "know" her would notice!! 🤣
I noticed she looked slightly different, but I couldn't have told you what was different. I thought it might be because of the face masks....everyone looks slightly different when you can't see their whole face.

riverside

Original Poster
I lost my quote while reading the rest of the thread, but would so love to meet up since our trips don’t miss each other this time. Working on pre trip report, just so little time these days. :-/
I will shoot you a message with plans I have so far, as far as parks.

I noticed E’s hair too. I think it so suits her. Love it!

I have been practicing, wearing masks longer, just so I can get used to it. Have both cloth and disposable, and I agree, I can breathe better in a disposable. My whole thought process, being so claustrophobic and not really having to wear a mask here, was going when it is cooler. Late 40s and hot and a mask don’t work well for me. Lol.

I feel ya, on the tearing up passing your home resort. I am tied to Coronado like you are Riverside. ❤
I so hope it works out!! If not we'll figure something out!!

I'll let her know!!

Yes, the disposable are much easier to breathe in. I know exactly what you mean!!

I know you love it there. If Riverside stays closed much longer(which unfortunately seems like it may) I'll have to try Coronado. That's the only plus of POR staying closed--it forces us to try new places!!
I noticed she looked slightly different, but I couldn't have told you what was different. I thought it might be because of the face masks....everyone looks slightly different when you can't see their whole face.
Amen to that!! It's funny, since starting my new job I've met tons of new people. I really don't know what any of them look like though b/c of the masks. Once we don't have to wear them we'll probably all have to reintroduce ourselves b/c we won't know who anyone is!!
So funny that J kept you in line (or behind the line)! :D
He did for sure!! What a rule follower!! It was pretty funny!!
I would be thrilled!

200w.gif
Yay!! I'll PM you our plans & we'll see what we can work out!!:)

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

Our lunch reservation was at The Plaza. It had been a few years since we ate here so we were due!!
IMG_6586.JPEG

We were seated right away & brought the menus up on our phones. The last time I ate there I had the Cheese Steak Sandwich which was very good but I wanted to try something different.
IMG_6587.PNG

This was our view during lunch!! Well, not exactly the whole time. There was a couple sitting at that table but I waited until they left to take this picture. I didn't want to seem creepy!!
IMG_6588.JPEG

I got the Plaza Club which was excellent!! It came with fries but I was all fried out since I had them twice the day before so I went with mashed potatoes.
IMG_6589.JPEG

E got a cobb salad & asked them to add grilled chicken to it.
IMG_6590.JPEG

Yeah, if that was my meal I'd probably look like that also!! JK--he liked it!!
IMG_6591.JPEG

Some friends came by while we ate.
IMG_6592.JPEG

And you know I was still keeping track of the TiW discount!!
IMG_6593.JPEG

Lunch was good as was our server. Even though we hadn't been in the park that long it was nice to take a mask break also!! Remember, it was August after all!!

We came out to a still pretty empty Main Street.
IMG_6594.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

Upon leaving The Plaza we ran into a cavalcade. I was never much of a parade person to begin with but I really liked these. Short & sweet and they add some fun to the day!!
IMG_6596.JPEG

IMG_6597.JPEG

E wanted to do some shopping so J & I headed to The Confectionery. One guess for what??
IMG_6598.JPEG

IMG_6599.JPEG

This was it for the jelly beans for the week!! We didn't finish that bag or the one we got the night before.
IMG_6600.JPEG

We sat on a bench to enjoy our treats.
IMG_6601.JPEG

IMG_6602.JPEG

I got a peanut butter cup that I shared with J.
IMG_6603.JPEG

The lack of people was still amazing me!!
IMG_6604.JPEG

One of my lovely selfies!!
IMG_6605.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

We headed to HM next!! @tonystark I thought of you!!
IMG_6613.JPEG

The wait time said 15 minutes & the line was quite lengthy but it moved fast. I'd say we were on in 10 minutes.
IMG_6614.JPEG

IMG_6615.JPEG

IMG_6616.JPEG

IMG_6617.JPEG

While shopping E bought this Pandora bracelet & charms. For the first few days we were there the AP discount was 30% so she made sure to take advantage of it!!
IMG_6618.JPEG

We walked right through the stretching room. That disappoints me b/c I do enjoy that part a lot.
IMG_6619.JPEG

I wanted to get a picture since we both had our HM masks on but I was struggling, as usual.
IMG_6620.JPEG

J to the rescue!!
IMG_6621.JPEG

IMG_6622.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

Who would ever think that Peter Pan would be a walk on at 1:00 in the afternoon?
IMG_6623.JPEG

IMG_6624.JPEG

IMG_6625.JPEG

After our flight we went to IASW. The wait said 20 minutes but it was 5.
IMG_6627.JPEG

IMG_6629.JPEG

IMG_6630.JPEG

IMG_6631.JPEG

I think I'm getting a little bit better at them!!
IMG_6632.JPEG

I snapped this picture b/c J(he's so sweet) held the gate for the people after us & probably the next 20 after them!! So many people thanked him!!
IMG_6633.JPEG

We headed back to an empty Frontierland.
IMG_6634.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

While walking through Frontierland we were trying to convince J to ride Pirates. He wasn't having it.
IMG_6635.JPEG

We stopped our conversation to wave to these fellas!!
IMG_6636.JPEG
\

IMG_6637.JPEG

Can you even believe this??
IMG_6638.JPEG

We only looked from afar:(
IMG_6639.JPEG

But, we did purchase one of these!!🤣🤣🤣
IMG_6640.JPEG

J also got "sugar in a bag" as I like to call it.
IMG_6641.JPEG

Super cute popcorn bucket but hard to get the popcorn out when you have big hands like I do!!
IMG_6642.JPEG

IMG_6643.JPEG

Miss PCB Hater was enjoying it!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
IMG_6644.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

I think this picture is pretty cool!!
IMG_6645.JPEG

J wanted to go on the carpets & we all know E isn't a fan so it was just us two.
IMG_6646.JPEG

IMG_6647.JPEG

IMG_6648.JPEG

We headed back towards Main Street but for the life of me I don't know why b/c, as you'll see, we ended up right back in Adventureland!!
IMG_6649.JPEG

Bummer....
IMG_6650.JPEG

Maybe we were planning on leaving but changed our minds? I'm really not sure.
IMG_6651.JPEG

So empty....
IMG_6652.JPEG

IMG_6653.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

I'm thinking that we were planning on heading out but J said he wanted to ride....no, not Pirates....
IMG_6655.JPEG

The Jungle Cruise!! The wait said 30 minutes but it was only 15.
IMG_6656.JPEG

As you can see I had been attempting to take one....
IMG_5157.JPEG

IMG_6659.JPEG

IMG_6660.JPEG

IMG_6661.JPEG

We headed back to Main Street & saw another cavalcade!!
IMG_6663.JPEG

IMG_6664.JPEG

IMG_6665.JPEG

IMG_6666.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

We shopped on our way out. This sight broke my heart 💔
IMG_6667.JPEG

A quick rain came down while we were in the store.
IMG_6668.JPEG

IMG_6670.JPEG

IMG_6671.JPEG

We got yet some more PP pics!! 😮
IMG_6729.JPG

IMG_6730.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

A lot of photographers had us do this pose. What exactly is it all about??
IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6734.JPG

We were able to take a mask/popcorn break on the monorail!!
IMG_6672.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

Our destination was The Polynesian!! We just wanted to walk around & learn the layout of the land a bit b/c we were going to be staying there in October. Well, now we know that isn't happening :(
IMG_6673.JPEG

IMG_6674.JPEG

IMG_6675.JPEG

We browsed the stores & I stocked up on body butter(30% off after all;)) The CM gave E & I each one of these free gifts!!
IMG_6676.JPEG

We headed outside for a good look around.
IMG_6677.JPEG

IMG_6678.JPEG

We could hear lots of thunder in the distance but decided to walk to the GF anyway.
IMG_6679.JPEG

IMG_6680.JPEG

IMG_6681.JPEG

Very disappointed that we won't be staying here next month. I was really looking forward to it but @Tuvalu's advice to me was it will be nice when the rooms are refurbed. We'll definitely try it then!!
IMG_6682.JPEG

lindawdw

I still can't get over how empty the MK looked on your trip!!! I read yesterday that the parks have been picking up in attendance since Labor Day weekend. J and his jelly beans. ;) I love the Pandora bracelet and charms that E bought for herself. I think the 30% discount for AP holders is going to be good through 10/29. Where did you decide to stay in October with Poly being refurbished?

Last edited:

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

We arrived at the GF in no time at all. It is a very nice walk!!
IMG_6683.JPEG

IMG_6684.JPEG

It was so eerie b/c it was so empty.
IMG_6685.JPEG

We browsed the stores & headed out to the monorail. Where, BTW, I got stopped at temperature check. It was too low!!:banghead: I got asked questions--do you feel ok, how do you feel, etc. They checked it again & I was fine.
IMG_6686.JPEG

I was being rained on while on the Monorail.
IMG_6687.JPEG

The sparseness of this sign is upsetting.
IMG_6688.JPEG

A bus was waiting for us!!
IMG_6689.JPEG

IMG_6690.JPEG

And we had it all to ourselves!!
IMG_6691.JPEG

We were back in no time at all!!
IMG_6692.JPEG

lindawdw

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

We arrived at the GF in no time at all. It is a very nice walk!!
View attachment 498883

View attachment 498884

It was so eerie b/c it was so empty.
View attachment 498885

We browsed the stores & headed out to the monorail. Where, BTW, I got stopped at temperature check. It was too low!!:banghead: I got asked questions--do you feel ok, how do you feel, etc. They checked it again & I was fine.
View attachment 498886

I was being rained on while on the Monorail.
View attachment 498887

The sparseness of this sign is upsetting.
View attachment 498888

A bus was waiting for us!!
View attachment 498889

View attachment 498890

And we had it all to ourselves!!
View attachment 498891

We were back in no time at all!!
View attachment 498892
We love the GF and made it our DVC resort home. It is really sad to see that resort sign so empty looking. :(

riverside

Original Poster
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 12TH

I smiled when I saw this sign. It's the same style of signs that are at Port Orleans.
IMG_6693.JPEG

The food court was empty & had a lot to be desired of. There was something like 5 sandwiches & 2 salads on the menu. J got something off the kid's menu & I got a ham & cheese sandwich. E wasn't feeling any of the options so she said she would just eat some snacks back at the room.
IMG_6694.JPEG

Also, the "one way" signage in the ordering area was bizarre & confusing.
IMG_6695.JPEG

After our lackluster meals(BTW--we never set foot in there or the gift shop the rest of the trip) we headed back to our room.
IMG_6696.JPEG

Oh, how sad....
IMG_6697.JPEG

sadder yet.....
IMG_6698.JPEG

We did not see a single soul the whole way back to the room.
IMG_6699.JPEG

IMG_6700.JPEG

Back at the room E ate some peanut butter & apples.
IMG_6701.JPEG

There is the couch pulled out. For as comfortable as that couch was the pillows were awful!!
IMG_6702.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
I still can't get over how empty the MK looked on your trip!!! I read yesterday that the parks have been picking up in attendance since Labor Day weekend. J and his jelly beans. ;) I love the Pandora bracelet and charms that bought for herself. I think the 30% discount for AP holders in going to be good through 10/29. Where did you decide to stay in October with Poly being refurbished?
It was so surreal!! It was a nice experience but very sad in so many ways. He's too much with those things!! Yes it is!! We're excited. Just like last month it will only be for the first few days of our trip so we know to get our shopping in early!!

We were going to be moved to the GF at no charge. We decided to go back to Saratoga Springs(really reminds us a lot of Riverside) but this time we are staying in a Treehouse Villa. It was actually quite a huge savings from what we were going to be paying at the Poly for individual rooms!! J's excited about the bunk beds in there & we're going to have plenty of room b/c there's only 4 of us going!!
We love the GF and made it our DVC resort home. It is really sad to see that resort sign so empty looking. :(
There were so many things that were sad. I do hope for a little more life next month!!

Last edited:

slipperalwaysfits

We were seated right away & brought the menus up on our phones. The last time I ate there I had the Cheese Steak Sandwich which was very good but I wanted to try something different.

Between yours and @Tuvalu 's reviews, it seems like The Plaza is very underrated.

And you know I was still keeping track of the TiW discount!!

So I read on the official WDW page that the TIW discount isn't being offered currently, how'd you get so lucky to be able to use it?

This was it for the jelly beans for the week!! We didn't finish that bag or the one we got the night before.

Traditions are important but @Darstarr knows: Eating at WDW is hard...

While shopping E bought this Pandora bracelet & charms. For the first few days we were there the AP discount was 30% so she made sure to take advantage of it!!

I have the Epcot charm, too! It's lovely!

We walked right through the stretching room. That disappoints me b/c I do enjoy that part a lot.

The stretching room is one of my favorite parts of WDW but it will be back....soon enough! :geek: :jawdrop:

But, we did purchase one of these!

But why purchase if E hates them? Or does she collect them?

Sorry the pillows were awful, at least the couch was comfy! I'm impressed that WDW takes so much care on the pull out beds!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom