Trip Report Clappy Clap.....Welcome Back!! The Many "World Firsts" TR

Hello all & welcome!! I'm so happy to finally be able to do another TR!! It feels like forever since my last one--probably b/c it has been(at least that's the way I feel)!! So, I don't want to dwell on the negative b/c let's face it, we've all had a crappy year. 2020 has not been kind to us. But, along with the obvious I had 3 relatives pass within 3 months of each other. Then I knew I was losing my job of almost 28 years in July. We had a Disney trip booked in May that never happened. E rescheduled for June(I couldn't b/c of work) but we all know what happened there--access denied. I knew I wouldn't be able to go until August so she & J booked for then. Since I no longer had an existing reservation she figured she would add me on to her's. Little did we know that nothing would be that simple....

I'll fill you in on the drama as we go along....

WHEN: Tuesday, August 11th - Tuesday, August 18th

WHERE: Saratoga Springs(Spoiler--we really ended up enjoying our stay there. Of course, it's not our beloved Riverside but we agreed it had kind of the same "vibe". Being on the Sassagoula kind of helped with that also.)
IMG_6400.JPEG

THE DRAMA THAT WENT ALONG WITH IT:

E & J may have had a reservation but there was no room at the inn for me. E purposely got a 1 bedroom villa & thought it would be easy to add me to the reservation. Yeah, that wasn't happening. They were not accepting any modifications to existing reservations. It was getting down to the wire. She was able to make park reservations & I still couldn't be added on. Finally, all's well that ends well. After many weeks of trying she was able to add me on & I was able to get the same parks. Never fear though, as a few of my magic friends know I had a "Plan B" ready as a backup but fortunately didn't have to go that route.
IMG_6213.JPEG

Then there were the many flight changes Southwest kept imposing on us. Here was one they did for me that was particularly scary. What happened to Pittsburgh to Orlando? :oops: They had my return flight correct but that didn't mean anything b/c it didn't look like I'd be making it there to begin with!!
IMG_6202.JPEG

The loss of my job was weighing on me all year(I've known since January). Here's my desk during my final days.
IMG_6287.JPEG

The reason for the dates was I knew I would be done with my job by then. I figured I'd take a few weeks off. One week to get situated then the next week to go to Disney. After that I would come back and search for work. Sounds like the perfect plan, right?
While still employed the new company taking over was encouraging us to apply. I did but didn't think it would really go anywhere for a number of reasons. Lo & behold they made me an offer on July 30th & asked me if I could give them an answer the next day. They were planning on reopening the store August 16th--while I would be away!! I broke the news that I would be away then. The company was very receptive to it when I explained why I had planned it the way I did. I also figured I should totally come clean & mentioned that I had an October trip booked also!! At this point I thought for sure they wouldn't want me. I called the next day & accepted their offer. Originally the plan was that I would start on the 19th when I got back. They called me on the 1st & asked me to start on the 3rd so I could get some training time in before I went away. I was fine with it & did it but was scrambling to pack etc.

I'm happy to be back in the place I've worked all my life that is so much a part of me. I'm still learning to do things the way the new company does them but overall I'm happy with the way things are going.

E & family were very sweet to give me a good luck present when I started my new(old:hilarious:) job.
IMG_6308.JPEG

With not much time to pack I made sure to do it early. I actually packed 6 days before the trip. That's amazing for me!!
IMG_6328.JPEG

I also made sure to bring a large supply of masks. They would get gross in a hurry!!
IMG_6332.JPEG

THE TITLE: I have to start out by giving credit to @Rista1313!! I got the "Clappy Clap" part from a comment she had made in my last TR. So many magicians loved the saying & I thought it was quite catchy. The "Welcome Back" part is b/c I truly felt like we were really welcomed back by the CM's. They seemed genuinely happy to have guests there. Also, that song had been in my mind for quite some time. Has anyone seen the Applebee's commercial with that song in it? The first time I saw it I had tears in my eyes. It's very fitting & says a lot with little words. And, there were many "World Firsts" you'll see as we go along!!

WHO: I'm sure you've figured it out by now but we're back to the "same old" crew!! My sister E, my nephew J & myself, Patti!!
IMG_6724.JPG

No, I don't really care for pictures of my backside but I did think this was a neat picture--minus the castle colors. I'm still not a fan!!:cautious:

To all my friends out there reading, "Welcome Back"!!

Last edited:

riverside

Original Poster
TUESDAY, AUGUST 11TH

Here is the second sink. I must say I was quite disappointed--neither sink area had a magnifying mirror!!😮
IMG_6431.JPEG

The tub that went unused.
IMG_6432.JPEG

E & J shared this room. It almost didn't happen though. When he saw that the couch pulled out into a bed he thought that was pretty neat & wanted to sleep there.
IMG_6434.JPEG

IMG_6435.JPEG

Back to the kitchen again!!
IMG_6436.JPEG

For the life of me I can't remember what J was pointing at. See the brochure on the table? That was the only literature in the room.
IMG_6437.JPEG

E was facetiming JSR & showing him around the place.
IMG_6439.JPEG

I sat in that chair one day & believe it or not I fell into it. It's almost like it pulled me in!!
IMG_6440.JPEG

I really don't know why I kept taking so many pictures of the kitchen but here's another one!!
IMG_6441.JPEG

I know why I took this though--I took it to send to my friend @Tuvalu. She & @TrolleyFollower91 had stayed at a villa a few weeks before & E was curious as to what the coffee situation was in them. I asked her to investigate so I could let E know. E was worried that b/c of Covid there might not be coffee makers in the room anymore & didn't want to order creamer from Garden Grocer if they weren't going to be there. @TrolleyFollower91 get this--there were only 3 bags of coffee--2 regular & 1 decaf. After 2 days we had to call for more coffee(we made sure to tell them that's all we wanted) & they brought more but along with it a huge bag of creamers, sugars etc. It was so wasteful b/c I'm sure they pitched it all after our stay.
IMG_6442.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
TUESDAY, AUGUST 11TH

Again, I'm not sure what's up with all the kitchen photos b/c this stuff doesn't excite me in the least!!
IMG_6443.JPEG

We didn't use any of this during our stay. The only thing I used were a few mugs b/c they did not replenish the disposable coffee cups. Which, in turn, caused me to have to do dishes while on vacation :cautious:
IMG_6444.JPEG

Last one--I promise!!
IMG_6445.JPEG

The washer/dryer combo. I actually used it. It's a little small but worked out well. It was nice to come back with mostly clean clothes in my suitcase!! I will forewarn you though--don't run the washer while you're sleeping. It is quite loud & I can see where it would keep someone up!!
IMG_6446.JPEG

The last thing we checked out was the balcony.
IMG_6447.JPEG

Yay!! A "no mask" selfie!!
IMG_6448.JPEG

The view from the balcony!!
IMG_6449.JPEG

IMG_6450.JPEG

J was enjoying himself!!
IMG_6451.JPEG

We headed out for our reservation at DS. I took a picture of our balcony from down below.
IMG_6452.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
TUESDAY, AUGUST 11TH

I forgot to mention but the weather was actually very comfortable this day. It wasn't too hot & really wasn't humid either. We decided we would walk to DS. That, of course, meant we needed to consult this.
IMG_6454.JPEG

IMG_6455.JPEG

This quiet pool was right around the corner to our left. We commented that we really happy with our room location. The bus stop was right outside & the pool was right around the corner.
IMG_6456.JPEG

The splash pad area was cute. J & I ended up playing around in there a few days later!!
IMG_6457.JPEG

There was not a single person there.
IMG_6458.JPEG

When we got to the main building the CM who drove us to our room offered to drive us to DS. We told him we wanted to walk so we could get to know the resort. He insisted & E said it's probably b/c she tipped him too much the first time & he was looking for more!! 🤣
Obviously, she said that to me, not to him!! She said from here on we were running if we saw him!!
IMG_6459.JPEG

In no time at all we were approaching DS!!
IMG_6460.JPEG

IMG_6461.JPEG

It looked so weird to not see any boats on the water.
IMG_6462.JPEG

IMG_6463.JPEG

TrolleyFollower91

I know why I took this though--I took it to send to my friend @Tuvalu. She & @TrolleyFollower91 had stayed at a villa a few weeks before & E was curious as to what the coffee situation was in them. I asked her to investigate so I could let E know. E was worried that b/c of Covid there might not be coffee makers in the room anymore & didn't want to order creamer from Garden Grocer if they weren't going to be there. @TrolleyFollower91 get this--there were only 3 bags of coffee--2 regular & 1 decaf. After 2 days we had to call for more coffee(we made sure to tell them that's all we wanted) & they brought more but along with it a huge bag of creamers, sugars etc. It was so wasteful b/c I'm sure they pitched it all after our stay.
Did the bags make enough for a pot? One family at the pool was complaining that it wasn’t strong enough and then the next day they used less water and they each got 1/4 of a cup :banghead:
Bringing my own pot and coffee was essential this last trip! I like my coffee black and strong (typically I use two of those filtery-pod things at a time in the non dvc rooms) so I wasn’t going to take any chances with no coffee :joyfull:

riverside

Original Poster
TUESDAY, AUGUST 11TH

We were dropped off here.
IMG_6464.JPEG

Seriously?? There isn't a single soul on this bridge at 5:30?
IMG_6465.JPEG

Same goes for back here!!
IMG_6466.JPEG

The usually crowded Earl of Sandwich.
IMG_6467.JPEG

There's some sign of life!!
IMG_6468.JPEG

I hope you're all sitting down for this one. E commented, "Oh look, there's a popcorn bucket"!!😮
IMG_6469.JPEG

We went to the Lego store. You have to get in from the back & only so many people are allowed in at a time. Everyone must exit through the front doors.
IMG_6470.JPEG

Normally I skip this store b/c it's like World of Disney, a conundrum. Today though, it was quite pleasant.
IMG_6471.JPEG

IMG_6472.JPEG

Prior to the trip J started telling E that he didn't want to go to Disney but when she went she could bring him something back from the Lego store. E told him if he didn't go he didn't get anything. He could only get something from the Lego store if he went there. Since he went he got something from the Lego store. BTW--it's not that he didn't want to go to Disney. He was upset b/c he was going to miss his dad. JSR had a talk with him & then he was fine with going. J is happy though that his dad is coming with us on the next trip!!
IMG_6473.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
TUESDAY, AUGUST 11TH

After the Lego store we headed to guest services to get our new AP cards. We were told to go to the ticket center to get them b/c there would be no wait.
IMG_6474.JPEG

Before we left we asked where the closest fuel rod station was. Boy, did I feel like a moron. It was literally 5 feet to our right!! At least this one actually worked for me though!!
IMG_6475.JPEG

We had our new cards within 30 seconds!!
IMG_6476.JPEG

IMG_6477.JPEG

We headed towards our dinner reservation & stopped at The Candy Cauldron on the way. Again, only so many were allowed in at a time but there wasn't anyone in there the whole time we were there. There's much less merchandise in there also so it's easier to move around.
IMG_6478.JPEG

IMG_6479.JPEG

I'm sure it's of no surprise what we were there for!!
IMG_6480.JPEG

IMG_6481.JPEG

It was neat to be able to move around & not bump into people but it was also sad at the same time. That was our thoughts for pretty much the whole trip.
IMG_6482.JPEG

IMG_6483.JPEG

DisneyGigi

We have a few days there at the same time! November 1-6, for us- Coronado, of course. (And May possibly add the 7th.) I am worried about the all day mask thing, a little, because I stay home and am only wearing one while going out shopping or hair appointments and such. Hopefully it will be a little cooler by then. Like you said though better to be there in a mask, than not at all.

And that Downey spray??? Lifesaver, I tell ya. ;)

riverside

Original Poster
TUESDAY, AUGUST 11TH

Originally our dinner reservation was for T-Rex. E thought J would think the dinosaurs were pretty cool & would enjoy it there. I, being the nice aunt that I am, thought that it would be great to take him & when he said how much he liked it we could tell him, "Great, then you can go on Dinosaur in a few days. You'll love that!!"🤣🤣🤣 I'm so mean!!

I can't remember what time the T-Rex reservation was but once we knew we had to pick up our luggage at the airport we were afraid we'd be cutting it too close. We tried getting a later reservation time but there wasn't any available. We cancelled it & told J we would go there on our next trip. Which, as I'm typing this I realize we're in trouble--we didn't make a reservation there for our next trip!!:oops:

E had found a reservation at City Works so we decided to book that. As it turned out we would have made the T-Rex reservation & we were quite early for our one at City Works. We asked if we could be seated early & they told us that wouldn't be a problem.
IMG_6485.JPEG

Considering how empty DS was I thought it was pretty crowded inside.
IMG_6487.JPEG

We opted to eat outside since the weather was so nice.
IMG_6488.JPEG

I had the City Works burger which was really good. I can probably count on one hand how many burgers I eat in a year. I really have to be in the mood to eat one. This was great & I'm happy I got it!!
IMG_6489.JPEG

I always say "no ketchup" b/c I hate for it to be wasted but I always end up getting it anyways.

E got a bacon cheeseburger without a bun.
IMG_6490.JPEG

J got chicken tenders & fruit. That's a shirley temple he's drinking there!!
IMG_6491.JPEG

And I had a Key West Sunset(or 2)!!
IMG_6492.JPEG

Very reasonably priced meal, I thought & we all enjoyed our food. Sorry @Darstarr if you didn't end up making it there. I felt bad while I was typing this thinking, "Oh no, what if she didn't get back there later in her trip".
BTW--I thought gratuity was always automatically added with TIW?? Or am I wrong?
IMG_6493.JPEG

There was a band playing across the way at House of Blues. They were enjoyable.
IMG_6494.JPEG

Since we were closer to the bus stop we decided to take that back to SSR instead of walking esp. b/c we didn't have a clue where we were going!!
IMG_6495.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
TUESDAY, AUGUST 11TH

We got to the bus stop at 7:36. This was the longest we waited for a bus the whole trip. The most we would wait was 5 minutes but normally the buses were there waiting for us.
IMG_6496.JPEG

IMG_6497.JPEG

J's legs must have ran out of energy b/c he was back to his old ways of sitting on the ground. We didn't have the stroller with us.
IMG_6501.JPEG

Finally at 8:04 the bus arrived.
IMG_6502.JPEG

We were the only ones on the bus(as was the case most of the week).
IMG_6504.JPEG

We got off at The Springs stop to check out the gift shop.
IMG_6506.JPEG

We were disappointed. There really wasn't much there & we thought it was small.
IMG_6507.JPEG

We found our way back to our room without much issue!!
IMG_6509.JPEG

I was in bed at 9:30. J came out to show me that he had Fluffy & Duffy together!!
IMG_6511.JPEG

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I'm not making fun, but goggles? What are the goggles supposed to do? Maybe I'm behind on safety protocols. :bored:
I am not as nice as all of you and I am making fun? Is she doing science experiments??? Take it to the back sweetheart!

We didn't use any of this during our stay. The only thing I used were a few mugs b/c they did not replenish the disposable coffee cups. Which, in turn, caused me to have to do dishes while on vacation :cautious:
Next time:
A) put the dishes in the dishwasher
B) leave them for housekeeping...they always say “we will even do the dishes”

BrerWayne

Hello all & welcome!! I'm so happy to finally be able to do another TR!! It feels like forever since my last one--probably b/c it has been(at least that's the way I feel)!! So, I don't want to dwell on the negative b/c let's face it, we've all had a crappy year. 2020 has not been kind to us. But, along with the obvious I had 3 relatives pass within 3 months of each other. Then I knew I was losing my job of almost 28 years in July. We had a Disney trip booked in May that never happened. E rescheduled for June(I couldn't b/c of work) but we all know what happened there--access denied. I knew I wouldn't be able to go until August so she & J booked for then. Since I no longer had an existing reservation she figured she would add me on to her's. Little did we know that nothing would be that simple....

I'll fill you in on the drama as we go along....

WHEN: Tuesday, August 11th - Tuesday, August 18th

WHERE: Saratoga Springs(Spoiler--we really ended up enjoying our stay there. Of course, it's not our beloved Riverside but we agreed it had kind of the same "vibe". Being on the Sassagoula kind of helped with that also.)
View attachment 494504

THE DRAMA THAT WENT ALONG WITH IT:

E & J may have had a reservation but there was no room at the inn for me. E purposely got a 1 bedroom villa & thought it would be easy to add me to the reservation. Yeah, that wasn't happening. They were not accepting any modifications to existing reservations. It was getting down to the wire. She was able to make park reservations & I still couldn't be added on. Finally, all's well that ends well. After many weeks of trying she was able to add me on & I was able to get the same parks. Never fear though, as a few of my magic friends know I had a "Plan B" ready as a backup but fortunately didn't have to go that route.
View attachment 494497

Then there were the many flight changes Southwest kept imposing on us. Here was one they did for me that was particularly scary. What happened to Pittsburgh to Orlando? :oops: They had my return flight correct but that didn't mean anything b/c it didn't look like I'd be making it there to begin with!!
View attachment 494496

The loss of my job was weighing on me all year(I've known since January). Here's my desk during my final days.
View attachment 494498

The reason for the dates was I knew I would be done with my job by then. I figured I'd take a few weeks off. One week to get situated then the next week to go to Disney. After that I would come back and search for work. Sounds like the perfect plan, right?
While still employed the new company taking over was encouraging us to apply. I did but didn't think it would really go anywhere for a number of reasons. Lo & behold they made me an offer on July 30th & asked me if I could give them an answer the next day. They were planning on reopening the store August 16th--while I would be away!! I broke the news that I would be away then. The company was very receptive to it when I explained why I had planned it the way I did. I also figured I should totally come clean & mentioned that I had an October trip booked also!! At this point I thought for sure they wouldn't want me. I called the next day & accepted their offer. Originally the plan was that I would start on the 19th when I got back. They called me on the 1st & asked me to start on the 3rd so I could get some training time in before I went away. I was fine with it & did it but was scrambling to pack etc.

I'm happy to be back in the place I've worked all my life that is so much a part of me. I'm still learning to do things the way the new company does them but overall I'm happy with the way things are going.

E & family were very sweet to give me a good luck present when I started my new(old:hilarious:) job.
View attachment 494499

With not much time to pack I made sure to do it early. I actually packed 6 days before the trip. That's amazing for me!!
View attachment 494500

I also made sure to bring a large supply of masks. They would get gross in a hurry!!
View attachment 494501

THE TITLE: I have to start out by giving credit to @Rista1313!! I got the "Clappy Clap" part from a comment she had made in my last TR. So many magicians loved the saying & I thought it was quite catchy. The "Welcome Back" part is b/c I truly felt like we were really welcomed back by the CM's. They seemed genuinely happy to have guests there. Also, that song had been in my mind for quite some time. Has anyone seen the Applebee's commercial with that song in it? The first time I saw it I had tears in my eyes. It's very fitting & says a lot with little words. And, there were many "World Firsts" you'll see as we go along!!

WHO: I'm sure you've figured it out by now but we're back to the "same old" crew!! My sister E, my nephew J & myself, Patti!!
View attachment 494505
No, I don't really care for pictures of my backside but I did think this was a neat picture--minus the castle colors. I'm still not a fan!!:cautious:

To all my friends out there reading, "Welcome Back"!!
The good thing about having to wear a mask is if there happens to be any foul smelling air on the Haunted Mansion, you will not be nearly affected by it. (Thinking back to your last Trip Report).

MickeyCB

IMG_6364.JPEG

Not trying to point anyone out but(I'm sure you can see who it was) there was a woman on the flight that was complaining to the flight attendant that there were people sitting around her. Not in her row but in front of her, behind her & across from her. What did she expect--she picked the third row to sit in. "Move then" is what I was thinking. The flight attendant explained that it's open seating & people have the right to sit where they want. She wasn't having it so the flight attendant told her she would get a supervisor for her. She simmered down & said not to.:rolleyes:
I do agree she looks a bit like a mad scientist, or female Bill Nye, but currently in hospitals, offices or nursing homes we aren't allowed to take care of patients without eye protection (that wrap around the side of your face) as it is another entrance site for the virus. I have been scolded for this when they told me my eyeglasses weren't adequate. I did a little research before I commented here and interestingly the only thing I could find out for the public was "wear goggles if you have them and can't maintain 6 feet apart, an example is on an airplane or a hair stylist"!
What's cracker jacks to me, is her weird demand for others to move! If she went further back I'm guessing she could have had an entire row to herself?!

Piglet_the_brave

Really late joining in and enjoying your report. Your photos of the room are making me happy/sad because it’s almost identical to the one we stayed in back in January. Grandstand is my favourite area of Saratoga, definitely the most convenient for the buses, we always liked being the first stop because we could get a seat although it doesn’t look like that was an issue for you with the lack of crowds. I hope you got to make use of the grounds for your morning walks, it’s not my favourite resort to stay at but is my favourite to run at, there’s just so many paths.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So happy to see you're writing another TR. More adventures with you and J (that little kid cracks me up!). :joyfull:

I like the room photos -- very nicely appointed acccommodations inside. (Never cared for the exterior of the Saratoga Springs buildings, so the inside views were a pleasant surprise to me.)

MegRuss626

Not going to lie--the masks got very annoying at certain points but it's still better than not being there at all!!
Next trip is October 27th-November 3rd!!:)

My hypothetical “if we finally get to sign the papers to sell our house next week 🤞🏻“ (our buyers have found ways to postpone our closing twice now 😒) will just miss yours! We’re looking at November 5-8. I even got an email from Disney this week with a discount code and not going to lie, between flights (we have the credit from our canceled April trip) and discounts, they’re making an offer that’s hard to refuse lol

slipperalwaysfits

A little behind between grad school and work....

Then there were the many flight changes Southwest kept imposing on us. Here was one they did for me that was particularly scary.

Did you just call SWA and say Cincinatti to BWI isn't at all where I'm trying to go to or from?

I'm happy you're home but I know it's insane to work somewhere you've always known and loved and then try to figure out all the new ways of doing things.... :bored: :jawdrop: I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon!

He said, "We're bringing it in case my legs run out of energy

ADORABLE!!!!!!! How old is J now? Almost 5? How old was he on his first trip to Disney?

E went to check the stroller in while he & I looked for a car.

DID he get a car? If his favorite store was closed, I'd hate for his routine to be all messed up!

He told J he'd see him onboard. J asked me who he was & when I told him he was the pilot he was so amazed that we talked to him. He was excited to tell E that he met him!!

One of the flight attendants thanked J for "reading" the safety instructions!!

He'll be great in an emergency, keeping everyone calm and giving directions! Very cool that you got to talk to the pilot!! I still get excited and I'm a grown-up!

I'm glad you said it, not me!! But, I agree:cautious: To each their own, I always say & if that makes someone feel more comfortable than more power to them but I just didn't get it. It's not like the CDC or WHO has ever said to wear them. They just tell you not to touch your eyes.

Man, exactly! The CDC has not said to wear those googles. Mom wants to come for Christmas but she said my hubby and I will have to wear masks in our own house and face shields because "I want many more Christmases with you," and I get it but considering I WORK FROM HOME and won't have been exposed to the virus in the two weeks prior to her visit....I feel like she's overreacting.

The more I looked at the resort the more I was thinking that it felt like POR to me!!

Awwwwwww, sorry it wasn't your beloved POR, but I'm so glad it felt like home and your ressie went off without a hitch!

I hope you're all sitting down for this one. E commented, "Oh look, there's a popcorn bucket"

Does she collect them? What does she do with all the ones she has?

It was neat to be able to move around & not bump into people but it was also sad at the same time. That was our thoughts for pretty much the whole trip.

I think that's how I'll feel at the end of November....eerie but the lines are way shorter! :jawdrop::geek:

I was in bed at 9:30. J came out to show me that he had Fluffy & Duffy together!!

I LOVE DUFFY!!! Does J have any of Duffy's Japanese friends?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom