Cinderella Castle Replica - Paint It? - (3D Printed) Added Stage

Bob Johnston

Original Poster
Would love your thoughts...

Wanted to share a project we have been working on. We are huge Disney fans (much like yourself) and have always thought having a replica of the Cinderella Castle would be AMAZING! We liked the Lego version but wanted something a little more detailed and close to the real thing as possible. Could not buy one. So we set out to make our own. Below is where we are so far. It took months to create the files to print, but now that the files are created, can be done is days. Modifying a few things is not a huge task at the point. So weigh in with your thoughts.

The goal was to make it to scale of the real castle in WDW. We chose N scale so we can keep adding to it like Trees, Bushes, Light Post.... Have it light up with LEDs, including the twinkles. And have it able to display "Wishes", "Celebrate the Magic" and other firework projection shows.

Here is where we are so far. As you can see in the youtube video, Our "Celebrate the Magic" test is looking pretty cool. Still working on it. We were going to paint it but after putting on a few shows at night at my house, it was debated to leave it white. Now we are not sure.

We would love your opinion being true disney fans. Paint It? Someone suggested adding straight pencil lines with the real dimensions written on it like the original blueprints. I kinda like that idea also.

tumblr_oy6pxqCUK01wy7yqho3_1280.jpg

tumblr_oy6pxqCUK01wy7yqho2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oy6pxqCUK01wy7yqho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oya6l75ald1wy7yqho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oy6pxqCUK01wy7yqho4_1280.jpg

tumblr_oy6pxqCUK01wy7yqho5_1280.jpg

Bob

Last edited:

Bob Johnston

Original Poster
I would paint it...but I would use washes of color so it doesn't look artificial. It's beautiful, by the way!

LOL CherylM you nailed it girl and THANK YOU! That was EXACTLY my fear! I don't want it to look artificial and that is what I am afraid is going to happen. I love the idea of washed colors. Here is what makes me second guess painting it all together.

When I have people over, the first thing they say is, OMG are you going to paint it? Well... no.. I take that back.. the first thing they say is, make me one?... Then... Are you going to paint it? So you would think it's a no brainer. Then I had a bunch of people over and had the castle blueprints next to it. One person said, OMG are you going to draw the dimensions and lines on the castle like the blueprint? Then they all agreed to do that and NOT paint it. LOVED THE IDEA! Their thought was drawing the lines would be unique and almost a tribute to Walt and his vision. Well! then I projected "Wishes" "Celebrate the Magic" and "Frozen Holiday Wish" and they said they felt like they were really watching it from main street with all the lights off and NOT to paint it. Made me feel great cause they actually applauded at the end of each :) So no they have me second guessing the lines. LOL

Here are the blueprints:

a311ac8d1868b814a6670ec2e21d5764--disney-disney-disney-parks.jpg

blueprints-cinderella-castle-magic-kingdom-park-walt-disney-world_155442.jpg

Pixieish

It really is stunning!!! And the nice thing with washes is that the color won't be heavy and "painty" looking or too bright, so projections should still work if you choose to do them. I've been a woodcarver for 30 years, so I totally get you with being torn on leaving it unpainted or to paint it. :)

Bob Johnston

Original Poster
It really is stunning!!! And the nice thing with washes is that the color won't be heavy and "painty" looking or too bright, so projections should still work if you choose to do them. I've been a woodcarver for 30 years, so I totally get you with being torn on leaving it unpainted or to paint it. :)

Ok... So I'm sitting here drinking my coffee replying to your original response and thought... Why don't I make 2 more and try the pencil lines and painting. LOL Ahhhhhhhh I need a second cup cause obviously this first cup has not kicked in!

Pixieish

Ok... So I'm sitting here drinking my coffee replying to your original response and thought... Why don't I make 2 more and try the pencil lines and painting. LOL Ahhhhhhhh I need a second cup cause obviously this first cup has not kicked in!

You sure can... We go way back! LOL

LOLOL! I soooooo know that feeling with the coffee right about now...I haven't slept yet because I'm working on the final paper for a capstone class. Just got my youngest off to school a little bit ago so I can wrap this dang thing up. Thankfully, no citations or anything fancy needed. I'll be babbling like an idiot by 1pm. ;)

Bob Johnston

Original Poster
Do you mind if I share your pics with the FB group I co-run? I'll give you credit, naturally. :)

And thanks again for sharing your thoughts...That is why I posted it here for people to give me their honest opinion.

If you share the Youtube Video, Disney gave me the OK to use the music and "Celebrate the Magic" soundtrack as long as I was not making money from the video, which I am not.

Pixieish

And thanks again for sharing your thoughts...That is why I posted it here for people to give me their honest opinion.

If you share the Youtube Video, Disney gave me the OK to use the music and "Celebrate the Magic" soundtrack as long as I was not making money from the video, which I am not.

You're very welcome! I'm actually working on a painting of the castle with very subtle color...mostly a pencil drawing, but with just a hint of color around the roof and to highlight/shade some stone work. One of these days I'll get around to finishing it. (Soon...almost done with classes!)

Bob Johnston

Original Poster
You're very welcome! I'm actually working on a painting of the castle with very subtle color...mostly a pencil drawing, but with just a hint of color around the roof and to highlight/shade some stone work. One of these days I'll get around to finishing it. (Soon...almost done with classes!)

Now that some multitasking girl, Class, Kids, Painting, Replying to an idiot with a Castle, Thanksgiving.... I raise my cup of joe to you Cheryl! Your all kinds of awesome! Can you share your painting when your done?

Pixieish

Now that some multitasking girl, Class, Kids, Painting, Replying to an idiot with a Castle, Thanksgiving.... I raise my cup of joe to you Cheryl! Your all kinds of awesome! Can you share your painting when your done?
Of course I will! :)

EDIT: I don't know if awesome is quite the word...maybe "Giant ball of chaos" is more suitable. :hilarious:

kevlightyear

I'm super impressed!! What did you use as reference when crafting the digital model? How long did that process take? Is it 3d printed in one print, or multiple?

Way to go!!

EDIT: watched the video, 41 prints. Wow!

Bob Johnston

Original Poster
I'm super impressed!! What did you use as reference when crafting the digital model? How long did that process take? Is it 3d printed in one print, or multiple?

Way to go!!

EDIT: watched the video, 41 prints. Wow!

Thanks kevlightyear! WE LOVE IT!!!! It is 3D printed and did take a couple months to modify an STL file (3D Model) that I found online. The model did not print. It was all messed up, so as a family project, we scaled it and fixed each part to print correctly. If interested, I can tell you what 3D Printer I am using and where to find the base file. Disney gave us the OK to use the music in the YouTube video but not the nod to share my files.

Bob Johnston

Original Poster
WOW! That's so fantastic, just wow!

Why THANK YOU very much Miceberg. Not a day goes by where we don't look at it and smile. :) Wish you all could see it projected on in person. We feel like we just left WDW everytime we watch it. LOL We are watching Holiday Wishes this saturday night. Yes... we schedule it :) I Know.... don't say it

Last edited:

Bob Johnston

Original Poster
Hi Again All!!!

For those that have been following along with the Castle build, He are a few updates.

After working on the pillars to project "Once Upon a Time" and "Happily Ever After" I printed some quick pillar prototypes to check scale. Not 100% happy with them but with a little modifying they will look great!. I have to say, the side pillars looked amazing when projecting the new shows. (Can't wait to share those videos)

I am also designing the restrooms that are attached to the second pillar you see while at the Magic Kingdom. This is also coming together nicely.

Annnnnd... Thanks to an amazing designer Tuan Vu, I was able to use his Stage files and with a bit of modifying, seen below, I started printing the full stage in the front of the castle. I re-designed it so that I could remove the section of the bridge that was already printed and attach it to the castle when needed. It would attach with railings to the existing Castle and slide right on the bridge. These will be 6 pieces at 12 - 18 hours a piece.

As you can see, by one of the pics labeled, "Failed parts". The downside of this project is each of those parts where 12 hours of printing and only after, did I realize my design needs tweaking. Did this twice before getting it right. :) This happens a lot :)

So.. With some trees to throw in some color and some buses to boot, Things are shaping up! :up:

Castle with Stage Design

tumblr_p4qk4yM3P61wy7yqho1_1280.jpg

Part One of Stage
tumblr_p4qk4yM3P61wy7yqho3_1280.jpg

Buses waiting for guest
tumblr_p4qk4yM3P61wy7yqho7_1280.jpg

Side of Stage part one
tumblr_p4qk4yM3P61wy7yqho8_1280.jpg

Buses Waiting Two

tumblr_p4qk4yM3P61wy7yqho6_1280.jpg

Failed Parts
tumblr_p4qk4yM3P61wy7yqho4_1280.jpg

:) ;) Will keep ya updated! ;) :)

Bob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom