Cinderella Castle - can it be enlarged and expanded

Communicore

Original Poster
Not sure if there is truth to the FAA restrictions or what not but can the castle be enlarged and expanded? Seeing the Shanghai one makes me jealous.

orlando678-

Also it shouldnt be a war between the resorts. We know Walt Disney World has more to offer and it will offer even more with Frozen, Avatar, Pixar, Lucas etc.

MickeyMomV

One of the reasons I was told as to the height of the castle is anything 200ft or taller (or just taller than 200ft) would require a flashing beacon for airplanes- hence why the ToT, Everest and Cinderella Castle are all just below this. (I was told during the Keys to the Kingdom tour a couple years ago)
True. And I think enlarging the footprint would just make it look weird.

JIMINYCR

I dont see them ever expanding the castle. It fits the purpose for being exactly as it is. The small side shop, ( which may change over time ) the pre dining area and dining area, and the Cinderella apt that I'd bet all I have that I'll never get to stay in. Any expansion outward would be frivolous. The Castle is one site that will remain virtually untouched except for cosmetic changes.

Goofyernmost

I would think that adding those four towers to it's footprint is a pretty good enlargement. It's all show anyway, there is nothing really to do in there unless you are having a meal. So as far as looks go those aforementioned things add quite a bit to it's impressiveness.
Yes, I know they are there for utility purposes, but, they add to it none the less and when you consider that 70% of the Castle is just there to look at anyway, I'd say we're good.

yensid67

I WISH they would have made part of the castle like a walk through of Cinderella and Prince Charming's home to show how they lived...in the liking of Toon Town

Nick Wilde

They can just copy and paste it into MS Paint, select it, and enlarge. VOILA! They can use a rigged measuring tape to make sure it's less than 200 ft so the pesky FAA officers will stay off their backs. Don't worry, no one will ever notice.

mergatroid

It looks great as it is in my opinion and until know I've ever heard anyone complain about it or ask this question. Also I'm no expert on this but I'm sure t uses 'forced perspective' to make it appear taller than it actually is. Bearing this in mind it might need a complete rebuild to not mess that up as each part is sized in relation to another to give this illusion (again, I'm no expert in this).

harryk

I was/am just hopeful that with the changes to the approach to the castle from Main Street - they would make it so that you could see the murals on both walls as you pass through the castle. Such a waste of the expense they put into the murals to cover them with curtains so that a stage show could be put on in the forecourt. What with all today's technology there should be some other way to get the cast, dressed and up onto the stage.

officialtom

Every historical WDW book and article I've read cites the 200ft max for a structure without a flashing beacon. Maybe that rule from the 60s(?) doesn't apply anymore, but that stuff doesn't tend to change. In any case, I can't see them building it any higher unless they could somehow mask the beacon from the ground view without disguising it from planes.

I wouldn't be opposed to Disney somehow getting it declared a no fly zone. At least that would keep the Jesus planes away. But I guess there could still be a stray plane flying over illegally, making a beacon necessary.

Last edited:

officialtom

It looks great as it is in my opinion and until know I've ever heard anyone complain about it or ask this question. Also I'm no expert on this but I'm sure t uses 'forced perspective' to make it appear taller than it actually is. Bearing this in mind it might need a complete rebuild to not mess that up as each part is sized in relation to another to give this illusion (again, I'm no expert in this).

Confirmed. Forced perspective is used widely at WDW and DL, especially for the castles.

matt9112

Even if we humor the idea of castle expansion I think expanding the diameter and the surrounding structure to be better than increasing the height.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom