Cinderella 2

Chernabog

Original Poster
I saw on Disney's video page that they are releasing a Cinderella 2 sometime in 2002. Does anyone know anything about this movie at all? I really hope that they don't ruin the original. If I remember correctly Walt once said "You can't beat pigs with pigs." Why doea the disney corporation think that they can now with all these 2nd movies?:confused:

markymark

I am totally sick of all these sequels.

I am sure that Walt once said never to make sequels. I really can't think of one animated feature where the sequel worked (not counting Toy Story 2). I realise that they are producing them relatively cheaply in the hope of making a profit, but it just don't seem right.

Ariel

I would hate to see this actually happen. Cinderella is a true classic and they should just leave well enough alone. We don't need a sequel to everything!:rolleyes:

tinkrbel

I watched this last night and thought it was wonderful :) It was very different and I wouldnt call it a sequel .. I thought it had some wonderful songs and my granddaughters must have thought so too because they already knew the songs and have watched it 3 and 4 times :)

MKCustodial

As far as I know, Cinderella is a collection of small cartoons, as if to show how is life in the "happily ever after". As for the sequels, I really like Lady and the Tramp 2. And I think I'll like Neverland.

tinkrbel

I loved Return to Neverland.. I dont understand really the objection to sequels .. I admit that I wasnt crazy about some remakes like I didnt like the Polly Anna remake.. But I thought the Remake of Parent Trap was great ..and the Remake of the Incrediable Journey ( Homeward Bound) was actaully better then the original. I actually think what was important was how much the girls love Cinderella ..after all it was made with kids in mind right?? not us adults.. no it didnt have the art of Pocohantas but it was still a lovely cartoon with some nice music :) I am looking forward to more like it ..hey ..if it comes down to sequels or raising the price of admission to the parks ..bring on the sequels!!!

Chernabog

Original Poster
You're right, the Cinderella sequal isn't that bad. It was marketed for little girls and it reached that audience well but Disney has always prided itself on marketing movies to reach the entire family and all age groups. Sequal movies are done with a low budget for the sole purpose of raising more money for Disney. Sequals give the image that Disney is lowering it's standards and that worries people. Cinderella 2 wasn't that bad, but what about the Snow White sequal or the Dumbo sequal or another classic film. Is it worth the risk to have these classics made into cheap cartoons for a few extra bucks?:confused:

tinkrbel

Chernabog

a valid point ..but they are they totally lowering thier standards ?? So many people would argue that movies like Darby O'Gill were not good ..while I just love that movie! And I am not one who likes remakes at all normally .. I for one cant even imagine a sequel or remake of The Alamo or Grapes of Wrath.. but thats personal feeling .. so if the ones like Cinderella 2 are not up to the same standards as Lion King ..but Disney does continue to put out high standard flims what is the harm?

MrPromey

Originally posted by tinkrbel
Chernabog

a valid point ..but they are they totally lowering thier standards ?? So many people would argue that movies like Darby O'Gill were not good ..while I just love that movie! And I am not one who likes remakes at all normally .. I for one cant even imagine a sequel or remake of The Alamo or Grapes of Wrath.. but thats personal feeling .. so if the ones like Cinderella 2 are not up to the same standards as Lion King ..but Disney does continue to put out high standard flims what is the harm?

I just wonder how they manage to put conflict in when the ending of the first one was something along the lines of "happily ever after", you know? Personally, unless the first movie was intentionally left open for a sequel (with a good viable story) I'm not too much of a fan of sequels be they animated or live action. Jurassic Park is a good example. The first one was great - everybody liked it. The second one, while perhaps not as engaging wasn't too bad but the third one was nothing more than an over the edge horror film riding on the popularity of the first two. In the end it comes down to the commercial aspects of capitalism and artistic integrity. Should a 50 year old movie with a finalized ending have a part 2 when none of the original people involved with it in a creative or technical aspect are around to work on the second one and preserve the feel of the original? From a creative standpoint, probably not. It definitely takes away from the artistic aspect of animation - something that Disney has always very publicly prided itself on. From a commercial aspect, releasing a sequel is an opportunity to inject life back into a franchise that dies out a little more with each generation that hasn't seen the original. That means more life for fantasyland attractions, new merchandise, possibly a new after school or saturday morning cartoon series as well as the more obvious ticket and/or VHS and DVD sales. Disney is a for profit company and as much as we may treasure the originals, it's their right and their choice to make sequels. I agree with someone else's post about the lowering of standards. If you look at the story, the dialogue and in some cases, even the animation (that last one being a sad statement considering how much better it should all be after decades of advancements in the field) there is a big difference in quality between the originals and most of the sequels currently available. I guess such is to be expected, though. The originals were meant to be big movies and attract wide audiences in theaters across America and all over the world, these sequels are mostly all direct to video cartoons aimed at young children. It's just a shame that they have to be called sequels when even Disney seems to regard them as a lesser than the original. Just MHO, though. :)

... I have one more thing I would like to add to this but I have to get back to work :( so I'll have to save it for later ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom