Church Services

harryk

Original Poster
Are there Sunday church services within the park?
There use to be a Catholic mass at the Poly. Luau Cove.
Are they still there?:xmas:

sbkline

I think I remember reading in one of the books that they don't have services on property anymore. I can't remember if it was the Unofficial Guide or another book, though.

lwalker8

Services are no longer offered on property with the exceptions of certain holidays I believe-correct me if i'm wrong.:wave:

wedway71

Services are no longer offered on property with the exceptions of certain holidays I believe-correct me if i'm wrong.:wave:

Yes very true. They stopped the services due to the fact that there are soo many Religions some groups were upset since there Religion wasnt offered so WDW figured safer to ax all the services.

gatordoc

I guess I can understand that there may have been issues, but it's a real shame. We enjoyed attending Sunday Mass at the Poly on many trips. It was a relaxing and uplifting service, and very convenient. The same cannot be said for trying to go off property. The Shrine may be a beautiful building, but it's not easy to get to, the parking is totally inadequate, and half the service seems to be a commercial for more money to continue to upgrade the facility.

Maleficent98

2006 Holiday Catholic Mass Schedule

Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine

2006 Christmas Mass Schedule

Saturday, December 23

Vigil Mass: 6:00 PM

Sunday, December 24
Masses: 7:30, 9:30, 11:30 AM
6:00 PM First Mass of Christmas
Please note: No Reconciliation Today

Midnight Mass December 25
12:00 AM Mass with Shrine Choir & Orchestra
Christmas Day Monday, December 25
Masses at: 7:30, 9:30 (Choir), 11:30 AM & 6:00 PM

Saturday, December 30
Vigil Mass: 6:00 PM
Sunday, December 31
Masses: 7:30, 9:30 11:30 AM & 6:00 PM
New Year's Day Monday January 1st
Masses: 8:00, 9:30 AM & 12:05 PM (Miraculous Medal)
Not a Holy Day of Obligation

**Please note: There will be no Sacrament of Reconciliation on December 24th. Normal hours of Reconciliation will resume Thursday, December 28th.

Please plan to arrive early to ensure your seat at Mass. Traditionally, all masses are at capacity. The Shrine does not distribute tickets for Mass or accept reservations for mass.

Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine
8300 Vineland Avenue

Orlando, Florida 32821
407-239-6600

If I recall correctly, they do have Mass on big holidays at WDW. I was there for Easter 2004 and Mass was held at the Contemporary.

I hope they have Christmas Mass there too. Does anyone know if they are?

Johnny

sbkline

Before anyone visits that "Mary Queen of the Universe" Shrine, I would suggest you first check out what the "Unofficial Guide" says about it. There was a segment in that book about that "Church". Evidentally, there is no real sermon or mass per se. Just a pseudo priest soliciting donations to keep the joint running. After the author of the Unofficial Guide received many negative letters from readers commenting on this so called "Church", he sent several Catholic members of his staff to evaluate the place for themselves. And they basically confirmed what everyone else said: that they spend about the whole service talking about the shrine and asking for donations and even going to the point of implying eternal rewards for making donations. These Catholic members of the Unofficial Guide staff likened it to the indulgences of the Middle Ages. The writer finished his review by saying "That whirring sound you hear is Martin Luther spinning in his grave". And apparently, this shrine is not affiliated with any diocese or parish, so it is evidentally not even a real Catholic Church.

But that was according to the 2003 edition. Perhaps the Shrine has made some changes for the better since then.

tirian

Considering that Martin Luther started the Protestant Reformation, I think he'd be spinning in his grave at any Catholic church service. :lol: If the Unofficial Guide is going to be funny, it needs to get its denominations right. :animwink:

Yes, WDW still has church services for Christmas and Easter: Catholic at the Poly and Protestant at the Contemporary.

kag1984

I was under the impression that the folks who run Mary Queen of the Universe were the same folks that did mass at the Poly. Also when I was there in 2005 I didn't think that they overdid it with the donation requests. I mean they are a tourist destination church service, they don't have a steady congregation that will support them, so they really do have to ask for donations since most people are just using them as a substitute. I think that most people just go there and think that since they are going once they wouldn't have to donate. But if everybody felt that way I'm sure that place woudn't be able to survive. So I didn't think it was overkill on the donation requests, a little odd, but understandable. Does anybody else know if it is a different group than who used to do it at the Poly?

sbkline

Considering that Martin Luther started the Protestant Reformation, I think he'd be spinning in his grave at any Catholic church service. :lol: If the Unofficial Guide is going to be funny, it needs to get its denominations right. :animwink:

That quote about Martin Luther was actually from the review given by the Catholic members of the "Unofficial Guide" staff of that shrine, and I'm sure they know perfectly well who Luther was. I think their point was that Martin Luther, among other things, took aim at the common practice of the Catholic Church of selling indulgences and that these people, who were themselves Catholic, saw the practices of this Shrine as being tantamount to selling indulgences. Hence the comment about Martin Luther spinning in his grave when seeing that kind of garbage going on 500 years later.

Personally, I would run as far as I could from any so called "Church" which exalted Mary as the Queen of the Universe, rather than exalting Jesus Christ as the King of the Universe. But of course, that's my bias as a Methodist.

But again, it was mentioned in that book that this shrine is not affiliated in any way with any parish or diocese, so it is presumably not an authentic Catholic Church. At least the Catholic people who reviewed the joint didn't claim it as one of their own.

Dwarful

Where can you find the schedule of the services offered onsite? I'd be interested in going over to the Contemporary for the protestant service.

Let's try to keep personal religious beliefs out of this thread as they might start a thread drift if somebody gets offended by somebody else's biased comments. The person who started it just wanted to know if services are held on property.
For those who wish to attend Catholic Mass at Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine, be assured that it is a part of the Orlando Diocese. You can check the website. The priests who celebrate the Masses, not services, are not "pseudo-priests". They are fully ordained Catholic priests.
I think it is the closest church to WDW, but not the only one in the area.

tirian

That quote about Martin Luther was actually from the review given by the Catholic members of the "Unofficial Guide" staff of that shrine, and I'm sure they know perfectly well who Luther was. I think their point was that Martin Luther, among other things, took aim at the common practice of the Catholic Church of selling indulgences and that these people, who were themselves Catholic, saw the practices of this Shrine as being tantamount to selling indulgences. Hence the comment about Martin Luther spinning in his grave when seeing that kind of garbage going on 500 years later.

Ooooooooooooooh. I misunderstood that quote. :eek:

Previous Poster: Don't worry. We're not starting any religious discussions. People are simply discussing whether or not the Shrine actually has services.

Now, let's hope that no one starts any immature arguments...

EDIT: The closest church to WDW was Lake Buena Vista Baptist, a little bitty place (actually, a branch of a huge church down the street) behind Downtown Disney. The church moved, but I'm not sure where it went.

sbkline

For those who wish to attend Catholic Mass at Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine, be assured that it is a part of the Orlando Diocese. You can check the website. The priests who celebrate the Masses, not services, are not "pseudo-priests". They are fully ordained Catholic priests.

Like I said, I'm just going by what I read in the 2003 Unofficial Guide, and I had never even heard of the place until I read it in there. So I have no personal knowledge of my own on the place and the Unofficial Guide could certainly be wrong, I suppose.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I would imagine that Celebration would have churches. :confused:

Actually...here's a list: :wave:
http://www.celebrationinfo.com/churches.htm
There are many religious groups with churches or meetings in Celebration. Below is a list of some of these groups. If you know of others, please send the information and a contact person to the email address listed on the home page of this site.
Celebrate Family Church, 407-566-0155, meets at 651 Front Street (in the AMC Theater) at 10 a.m. on Sunday mornings.

Celebration Community Church, 407-566-1749, meets at the Celebration High School, with Bible study at 9:30 a.m. and worship service at 10:30 a.m.

Celebration Jewish Congregation, 407-566-9792, is a reform Jewish congregation. Call for information.

Celebration Seven-Day Adventist Church, 407-303-4329 , is located at 400 Celebration Place. Call for information.

Community Presbyterian, 407-566-1633, is located at 511 Celebration Ave. Classic service is at 8:30 a.m. and blended service is at 11 a.m.

United Parish of Celebration, 407-566-8628 or 407-566-8193, meets at 510 Campus St. on Sunday mornings at 10:30 a.m.

docandsix

For what it's worth...

We attend mass at Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine every time we vacation at Walt Disney World. Our family adheres faithfully to the traditions and teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, and we have found the liturgies at the Shrine to fulfill all of our expectations. In fact, they do solicit donations, though, in contrast to some others, I have not found their requests to be in any way obtrusive. The priests who began the ministry of serving Orlando's tourists by, among other things, holding regular Sunday mass at the Polynesian Resort, have built that incredible Shrine from the ground through the generous contributions of its visitors. Instead of obsequious participation in an offensive practice of religious bribery, I consider such generosity on the part of the donors and such commitment on the part of the Shrine's adminstrative and support staff admirable.

Orlando, one of our nation's greatest shrines to consumption and frivilous consumerism now has a Shrine to the Mother of Christ, "...a temple, a sacred place to give glory to God and to honor our mother." (Quote taken from the Shrine's website.) Though I found the services at the Polynesian quaint, sincere, and homey, and while the nostalgic part of me misses them a bit, I find the sentiments expressed in the mission of the Shrine far more inspiring than the meager tradition embodied in holding mass in a empty Luau restaurant.

On related notes: The last couple of masses I attended featured very uplifting and less than beggarly homilies; the Shrine falls under the auspices of the Diocese of Orlando and its services and sacraments are thus very much valid and within the norms of the Roman Catholic Church; and, to my Methodist brother, Mary's Queenship represents an honorary title given her in return for the immeasurable blessing she brought to all mankind by her faithful act of complete trust and self giving by carrying Our Lord into the physical universe as His Mother, and is distinct from the Kingship of Jesus Christ, which is eternal, unearned, and absolute.

http://www.maryqueenoftheuniverse.org/history.html

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
What about guests without cars who came to WDW on Magical Express? Is there any way for them to get to Mass?

When I was younger, we often went to WDW during holidays (usually Easter), and I can remember attending Mass in some very interesting places. The Poly luau, the Contemporary conference center, but the most surreal, strange of all was the movie theater. Everyone was milling about in the lobby, when a man came on the speakers and announced, "Catholics, theatre 1, Episcopalians, theatre 2, Methodists, theatre 3..."

I was actually looking forward to Mass at the Poly again in January...oh well.

What about guests without cars who came to WDW on Magical Express? Is there any way for them to get to Mass?

Unfortunately, a cab is necessary to get from property to Mary, Queen of the Universe. It's the only time we leave property during our stay each summer. We've worked it into a routine that includes coming back to a nice dinner at Cape May at the Beach Club after the 6:00 PM Mass on Saturday night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom