Christmas week ADR strategy

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Hello!

My family, a group of 8 (including the 18 month old) is going to be at the world over Christmas (free time off/don’t have to pull kid from school) and I’m trying to determine the best way to make ADRs. We have all (except the toddler) been lots of times. We know it’s crazy busy.

We arrive at the Boardwalk on the 21st and leave on the 29th.
Here is what we would like:
12/21 Friday
Christmas party at MK for most of the group
Dinner at Beaches and Cream (3 of us not going to the party)

12/22 Saturday DHS
Dinner @ Hoop de doo

12/23 Sunday MK rope drop
Lunch: Crystal Palace
Afternoon at Epcot

12/24 Monday AK
Dinner: Boma

12/25 Tuesday rest day/Epcot evening
Dinner: Yachtsmans steakhouse

12/26 Wednesday MK rope drop
Lunch BOG
Dinner mom and dad at California Grill

12/27 Thursday AK
Lunch Tusker House

12/28 Friday MK
Lunch BOG or chef Mickey

We like the character buffets. They’re great because the kids always have good options and the youngest can be picky and eat what she likes. I know they take a long time. Our general plan is park in the morning, lunch, rest. If people feel up to it they can walk to DHS or Epcot in the evening.

My question is, in why order should I try for these ADRs? Or do you think it doesn’t matter? Should I do the BOG first? Or the Christmas Day first? I’m torn. We’ve never been at Christmas before, so despite being park veterans I feel totally out of my element in planning this. I’ve still got a month before I can make ADRs, so there’s time to rethink things.
What do you think about the order?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Your order looks ok, but unless you (a) are online at 6:59:59 of your 180th day, (b) enlist the help of a Travel Agent or (c) sign up for a on-line meal-time spotting service, I have a feeling you'll have some trouble booking HDDR, Yachtsman and the BOG. Those would be the first three I'd shoot for, in that order. Have a plan B for Yachtsman and BOG.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
@RememberWhen ~ BOG will be most difficult (especially for a large party) so make that #1. California Grill (at a decent time) is also hard to get even for a party of 2 so I would do that next. If Beaches and Cream is imperative I would do that as #3 since the place is so tiny and ADRs go fast.

#4 Yachtsman if large party otherwise Crystal Palace (and/or Chef Mickey)

Boma, Tusker and Hoop Dee Doo won’t be difficult. There is a strong possibly HDD won’t be available at 180 days only because it has not been loaded into the system, not because it has sold out. With at least two shows a night, you shouldn’t have any difficulty securing an ADR.

You can begin making online ADRs at 6 am or call in at 7 am on Day 180.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
@RememberWhen ~ BOG will be most difficult (especially for a large party) so make that #1. California Grill (at a decent time) is also hard to get even for a party of 2 so I would do that next. If Beaches and Cream is imperative I would do that as #3 since the place is so tiny and ADRs go fast.

#4 Yachtsman if large party otherwise Crystal Palace (and/or Chef Mickey)

Boma, Tusker and Hoop Dee Doo won’t be difficult. There is a strong possibly HDD won’t be available at 180 days only because it has not been loaded into the system, not because it has sold out. With at least two shows a night, you shouldn’t have any difficulty securing an ADR.

You can begin making online ADRs at 6 am or call in at 7 am on Day 180.

Thanks!
I’ll be online at 6am on day 180.
Beaches and cream isn’t imperative, only convenient. We can easily get pizza on the boardwalk, but if I can eat over there that might be nice.

I appreciate your insight. I’ll shoot for BOG, California Grill (it’s a Christmas present for my parents. They’ve never been there), yachtsman then the others. Nothing is really must-do, so we’ll make do. And I’ve used the reservation finder successfully before, so we can try that for anything I can’t get.

Any idea when they release HDD dates?

Can’t wait for your next trip report!

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks!
I’ll be online at 6am on day 180.
Beaches and cream isn’t imperative, only convenient. We can easily get pizza on the boardwalk, but if I can eat over there that might be nice.

I appreciate your insight. I’ll shoot for BOG, California Grill (it’s a Christmas present for my parents. They’ve never been there), yachtsman then the others. Nothing is really must-do, so we’ll make do. And I’ve used the reservation finder successfully before, so we can try that for anything I can’t get.

Any idea when they release HDD dates?

Can’t wait for your next trip report!

For us on our Christmas trip it was at least the end of August, possibly even later before HDDR was released. Just keep checking!

RememberWhen

Original Poster
For us on our Christmas trip it was at least the end of August, possibly even later before HDDR was released. Just keep checking!
Thanks! It can be frustrating sometimes to plan so far out without all the information, but that’s just what we do for Disney.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Follow up question: assuming HEA is at 9 in December (it looks like that’s the time last year), and that they are up for a late evening, would 8 be the right reservation time so that they could watch the fireworks?
Also, how much does one usually spend on dinner there? $200? $250? My mom doesn’t drink, but my dad might have a drink or two. I’d like them to feel like they can get whatever they want (I’ll put money on a gift card for them). They don’t usually order an appetizer, dinner and dessert, but it’s a special meal. $20 each for appetizers, $50 each for dinner, $20 each for dessert? Plus a drink or two and tip. $250 is sounding reasonable, but if folks have other ideas, please let me know.

CaptainAmerica

Follow up question: assuming HEA is at 9 in December (it looks like that’s the time last year), and that they are up for a late evening, would 8 be the right reservation time so that they could watch the fireworks?
Also, how much does one usually spend on dinner there? $200? $250? My mom doesn’t drink, but my dad might have a drink or two. I’d like them to feel like they can get whatever they want (I’ll put money on a gift card for them). They don’t usually order an appetizer, dinner and dessert, but it’s a special meal. $20 each for appetizers, $50 each for dinner, $20 each for dessert? Plus a drink or two and tip. $250 is sounding reasonable, but if folks have other ideas, please let me know.
That sounds about right. You could even get away with 7:30, especially if they're doing appetizers, desert, and drinks.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
That sounds about right. You could even get away with 7:30, especially if they're doing appetizers, desert, and drinks.
Thanks! It’s a Christmas present, though not a surprise. I bet they would stay up late. We shouldn’t need to be out early the next day. I’ll have to see what times I can get.

Dutch Inn '76

I understand that your calendar is what it is, but maaaaaan ohhhhhh maaaaaan is that an awful week to be at WDW. We were there for the same reason as you just this past Christmas/NY, and I will avoid that week as much as I can going forward...

Literally, there is almost nothing pleasant about that week. MASSIVE crowds and the weather is a crapshoot where the odds are not in your favor.

nickys

Premium Member
I understand that your calendar is what it is, but maaaaaan ohhhhhh maaaaaan is that an awful week to be at WDW. We were there for the same reason as you just this past Christmas/NY, and I will avoid that week as much as I can going forward...

Literally, there is almost nothing pleasant about that week. MASSIVE crowds and the weather is a crapshoot where the odds are not in your favor.

On the contrary, I absolutely loved being at WDW over Christmas and New Year. I'd go back in a heartbeat, and my family agree.

I didn't even find the crowds to be a huge problem. For Wishes (it was Christmas 2016) on Christmas Eve, sure it was crazy busy. But I see crowds like at WDW every year at home during festival time. No biggie to me. And the ambience and general feeling around the parks and resorts was great fun.

RememberWhen

Original Poster

I hear you. I do. I keep telling everyone to be prepared for it to be awful, but hoping it’s not too bad. We’ve all been many times, so we’ll be ok if we do our three FP rides each day and that’s it.
The packing will be hard though! Sweatshirts and shorts!? We usually go in the warmer weather.

Dutch Inn '76

I hear you. I do. I keep telling everyone to be prepared for it to be awful, but hoping it’s not too bad. We’ve all been many times, so we’ll be ok if we do our three FP rides each day and that’s it.
The packing will be hard though! Sweatshirts and shorts!? We usually go in the warmer weather.

Sweatshirts and shorts and jeans and rain coats. I wore shorts one day - and jeans and the rain coat at least four. The weather was "challenging."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom