Christmas decoartions in January

We are going to Disney January 7th-13th. this is the first weekend in January we will be getting there on sunday. I have heard that Disney Christmas decorations are left up till this weekend. Is it possible they will be up on sunday still? we would love to see some at the magic kingdom.

Demeter Tess

They're normally left up through the WDW Marathon, which is typically mid-January. This year the marathon's a bit earlier at January 3rd-6th, so if anything I expect you'll see the decorations being taken down throughout your trip.

Upvote 0

donsullivan

Premium Member
As has been described above, they typically stay up until the marathon weekend and then you can expect them to start disappearing at any moment after that. Some years they might stay up a week after that, other years they'll disappear almost instantly the week following the marathon. Bottom line, once the marathon is over they can disappear at any time.

Upvote 0

capedisneygirl

Original Poster
As has been described above, they typically stay up until the marathon weekend and then you can expect them to start disappearing at any moment after that. Some years they might stay up a week after that, other years they'll disappear almost instantly the week following the marathon. Bottom line, once the marathon is over they can disappear at any time.

Good to know!! thank you

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Hmmm, the years I've done the marathon, I don't recall seeing much in the way of Christmas decorations, they were definitely not up when I ran through in '08. The wreaths/ornaments they string across main street were gone, the wreaths on the light posts were gone, no big christmas tree in the town square, and the castle lights were definitely off. We were there several days before the marathon (a must so you can pick-up race packet, etc. and stayed 10 days after). This was the same in '09. I think they take them down in preparation for the races. But in my picture, there's nothing Christmas present.
disney marathong resized.JPG

Upvote 0

donsullivan

Premium Member
If you do a Google search you'll find some years they are there, other years they are not. It's simply not a guarantee but in recent years (past 5-7 years) they have left the Magic Kingdom decorations up until after the marathon most years. It is not a hard and fast rule and nothing is guaranteed after New Years day.

Upvote 0

donsullivan

Premium Member
Does that mean the crane will be in our pictures if going from 1/24-1/31? Not a big deal at all but was curious.
Can never be guaranteed but that's late enough in the month that it's highly likely the crane will be there taking down the Dream Lights and performing any needed repairs to the castle exterior.

Upvote 0

discomouse131

Blasted crane! We have too many pics with that thing in the way!:mad:

UGH!! The dreaded crane!! Our last trip was 3 years ago in September... the crane was there. Headed back January 3 for a few days. Fingers crossed that the crane won't rear its ugly head before then.

By the way, does anyone know what the weather is usually like in early January at WDW?

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

You may luck out, you may not. I've got a bunch of Marathon weekends under my belt. Some years the full Marathon (held on Sunday, usually the first full weekend after NYE) I've seen the trees in all 4 theme parks, other years I've only seen one or two. Each day more and more stuff will disappear, so pick your priorities and hope they are there.

By the way, does anyone know what the weather is usually like in early January at WDW?

Yes. There will be weather. I've been down for the 30s and sleet, and I've been down there for 80s and sunny. Plan for/pack for everything and anything.

Upvote 0

OG Runner

I agree with dreamfinder. It can be hit or miss, but look at my photo. That was the Monday, after the marathon, and the crane in the background is taking the Christmas lights off of the castle. (additional photographic evidence)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom