Christmas Day Parade Taping

cslafferty

Original Poster
I was just on Touringplans.com, and they have increased the crowd level at the MK on Dec. 3 to a 9 because they are taping the Christmas Day Parade. We will be there that weekend for our first ever holiday trip to WDW. We will only be there from Dec 2-5, and had originally planned to spend the day at MK and the evening at EPCOT to see the Candlelight processional. We have 8:20 breakfast ressies at The Crystal Palace so that we could spend some time in the MK before they open, but now see that they have also extended the park hours for that day and are opening at 8:00. My question is: What is the parade taping like? What time is it usually done, during the regular parade time or at a special time? Is it something really special, or should we avoid that park all together? We will be going to MVMCP on Dec 4th, so we'll be seeing the parade then. If there's anyone who has been there for the Christmas Day Parade taping, I'd really appreciate some advice. BTW, it's just my DH and I - no kids. Thanks!!

MissM

Personally, I think parade taping days stink. Main Street is just unavailable for anything because it's all lined up rows of people and NO STOPPING in the walkways. The parade comes out in bits and spurts for hours so it's not like you get to enjoy it. And, if you're not in the approved queue areas - NO STOPPING.

Everything is busy, smooshed and even other areas (like Frontierland) get interrupted because they double-time the floats out through the route to get to Main Street, causing weird, random blockages.

After taping is over, everyone who got in free for it are then unleashed on the park making everything congested and crowded.

Ugh, I just don't like parade taping days and tend to try to avoid them if possible.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Personally, I think parade taping days stink. Main Street is just unavailable for anything because it's all lined up rows of people and NO STOPPING in the walkways. The parade comes out in bits and spurts for hours so it's not like you get to enjoy it. And, if you're not in the approved queue areas - NO STOPPING.

Everything is busy, smooshed and even other areas (like Frontierland) get interrupted because they double-time the floats out through the route to get to Main Street, causing weird, random blockages.

After taping is over, everyone who got in free for it are then unleashed on the park making everything congested and crowded.

Ugh, I just don't like parade taping days and tend to try to avoid them if possible.
This. Unless you are there do watch the taping or plan on spending your morning as far away form Main St as possible I would avoid MK.

Jakester

I thought I'd go that weekend (cuz 1am close) but im going to put it off for another day during holiday season just due to parade taping.
Enjoy MK another day, but that day will be horrible.

rsoxguy

I agree wholeheartedly with MissM. I foolishly sat through a filming of the parade years back, and I found the whole thing to be both a waste of time and a logistical mess. I avoid MK completely on parade-filming days. (Plus, it was a bit disillusioning to learn that the whole thing on TV is a staged fake.)

cslafferty

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I think we'll spend the day elsewhere. My big question is what to do about breakfast. Like I said, we have ADR's at Crystal Palace for 8:20. I don't think I'll be able to get another ADR for CP at this late date. We have other breakfast ressies at Boma and Kona Cafe (Tonga Toast :slurp:). Is there another good breakfast we should try, or should we fight the crowd down Main Street, eat at CP and then leave? We don't really have our hearts set on breakfast at CP. I mainly made them there so that we could get into MK before rope drop and take some good pictures of the holiday decorations (I LOVE being in the MK before it opens!), but that won't happen now :cry: I am kind of thinking of getting to DHS when they open so we can ride TSM, since we've never done that ride! Is there a good breakfast spot in or near DHS? We could grab a QS breakfast somewhere, but we have the deluxe dining plan, and I'd hate to use up a meal that way. And, DH LOVES a big breakfast!!:lol:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Thanks everyone! I think we'll spend the day elsewhere. My big question is what to do about breakfast. Like I said, we have ADR's at Crystal Palace for 8:20. I don't think I'll be able to get another ADR for CP at this late date. We have other breakfast ressies at Boma and Kona Cafe (Tonga Toast :slurp:). Is there another good breakfast we should try, or should we fight the crowd down Main Street, eat at CP and then leave? We don't really have our hearts set on breakfast at CP. I mainly made them there so that we could get into MK before rope drop and take some good pictures of the holiday decorations (I LOVE being in the MK before it opens!), but that won't happen now :cry: I am kind of thinking of getting to DHS when they open so we can ride TSM, since we've never done that ride! Is there a good breakfast spot in or near DHS? We could grab a QS breakfast somewhere, but we have the deluxe dining plan, and I'd hate to use up a meal that way. And, DH LOVES a big breakfast!!:lol:

Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge always puts on a great spread for breakfast....

stillgoofy

I had ADRs at Crystal Palace a couple years ago on Parade taping day (of course I didn't know until we got there). I also wanted to get pictures in front of the castle without anyone there. Not happening. First of all we couldn't even walk down Main St to get to Crystal Palace. We actually had to duck into the Emporium and cut through the stores all the way down to Casey's. Also you wouldn't get regular castle shots anyway because they have the whole stage made up for whatever performances they will be filming for the Christmas Parade. We did actually go to the park and it wasn't bad but there was no way you could get near Main St all day. I would avoid MK that day altogether. Also the parade at the Christmas party is not the same parade they are filming. The one they are filming is for showing on TV on Christmas Day. Stay away and enjoy another park that day.

ChrisM

Does the taping ever spill over to the next day?

In other words, would there still be any taping or related nonsense happening in the MK on Sunday, December 4th?

Computer Magic

Does the taping ever spill over to the next day?

In other words, would there still be any taping or related nonsense happening in the MK on Sunday, December 4th?

Yes, rain days.

Went to MK last year during taping......NEVER AGAIN...

I went knowing what to expect. I only wanted to see a show production.

Yeah boring and slow....

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Does anyone that has been the last few years recall seeing them tape the Lion King segment of the parade? I have thought that the televised segment appears to be the same one each year.

YankeeMouse

A couple of years ago we were on Main St for the taping, inside the ropes, and saw ourselves on one side of the street and then in another scene, we were on the other side of the street and then back on the other..ha; they had obviously used footage from the last 3 years. But this was before last year when Ryan Seacrest is the host and they used mostly new footage, I believe, at least it looked that way. We didn't see ourselves at all and missed 2010 taping.

We are in the minority, we enjoy picking ourselves out of the crowd on Christmas morning and stay for a few hours. If there is room inside the ropes, you can get in there without an advance voucher (that is basically to get in free and early and we are AP holders). I think they are done around noon or 1 p.m.

angela02

I am so thankful you created this post. We will be there during taping and it really sounds like a nightmare. I just changed our dinner reservations to make sure it is truly over by the time we need to be in that area. Any hints for getting through the area to the rest of the park? I am guessing you just need to go straight through the gift shops until you reach Casey's and avoid any area near Main Street for most of the day? Any idea about what time they are done taping for the day? It really sounds like it is chaotic but I guess you just have to do your best to avoid the area at all cost. Thank you for any suggestions.

Jakester

Taping is usually done thrusday - saturday or friday n saturday. If it rains, then it spills over into another day.

If you're intended on seeing the parade getting taped, then have fun. If your just trying to enjoy the park, then you'll wanna wait a few extra days (like i mentioned earlier)

wdwfan4ver

I was at WDW for 8 days last year in late November to early December including the day of the Christmas parade taping. I stayed away from MK on the taping days.

There was one problem with not going to MK during the taping. Last year on the day of the taping, I found Epcot being more busy than I normal when I go to Epcot in the Morning. While was a lot of people that went to MK for the parade taping, I am guessing a lot of people had the idea of going to another Disney theme park day also like I did.

YankeeMouse

You don't usually walk through the shops at the height of the crowds. Cast members funnel you behind Main St., so that is something you should avoid if you have children with you, spoils the magic; but I enjoyed the backstage "tour".

dvitali

Went twice during Christmas taping, if you enter on the left you go thru the shops to Casey, if you enter on the right you get the backstage tours to tomorrow land. Found the best spot to watch was the bridge / tip boards before the castle. I have great appreciation for cast members and high school marching bands to remain in character in the Florida hot sun while they retake scene several time over.

angela02

You don't usually walk through the shops at the height of the crowds. Cast members funnel you behind Main St., so that is something you should avoid if you have children with you, spoils the magic; but I enjoyed the backstage "tour".

We will have the kiddos but I actually think ODS would enjoy seeing what it is like backstage.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom