Choosing a Moderate Resort

DisneyLuver91

Original Poster
So I'm a seasoned Disney traveler and am bringing my mother and 2 year old son this summer for a trip. We ALWAYS do a value resort, but we're looking to branch out into moderates. What would everyone here suggest as a moderate resort for us? We don't mind a walk to amenities, but don't want to be out in the boonies. Mom is gluten and dairy free if the dining options make a difference. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

durangojim

So I'm a seasoned Disney traveler and am bringing my mother and 2 year old son this summer for a trip. We ALWAYS do a value resort, but we're looking to branch out into moderates. What would everyone here suggest as a moderate resort for us? We don't mind a walk to amenities, but don't want to be out in the boonies. Mom is gluten and dairy free if the dining options make a difference. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
I’d say POFQ. It’s smaller than Riverside which is a huge bonus, plus the grounds are beautiful especially at night. Many prefer Riverside because of size but FQ is the only moderate we enjoy.

Tom P.

Given your comment about not wanting to be out in the boonies, I would highly recommend Port Orleans French Quarter. Riverside, Caribbean Beach, and Coronado Springs are all very large and, depending on where your room is located, you can have quite a hike to the various amenities. (Technically, the cabins at Fort Wilderness are classified as moderate as well, but then you *really* are out in the boonies!) French Quarter is much more compact and you are pretty well guaranteed to be close to everything.

DisneyLuver91

Original Poster
Given your comment about not wanting to be out in the boonies, I would highly recommend Port Orleans French Quarter. Riverside, Caribbean Beach, and Coronado Springs are all very large and, depending on where your room is located, you can have quite a hike to the various amenities. (Technically, the cabins at Fort Wilderness are classified as moderate as well, but then you *really* are out in the boonies!) French Quarter is much more compact and you are pretty well guaranteed to be close to everything.
I grew up going to the cabins so we are hoping to do those when my son is a bit older and I won't be stressed about him jumping off the rental cart :hilarious:

Skibum1970

I have a severe dairy allergy myself. We stayed at POFQ and were able to find foods that didn't have dairy. Not sure about gluten. I love FQ and POR equally. The rooms weren't that far from the main building and we found both resorts to be relaxing. The bus rides to/from the parks were about 15-20 minutes and the buses ran regularly.

bee

Echoing the French Quarter suggestion for the sake of size. The other resorts are large and spread out and after walking all day at the parks that extra 10-15 minutes from the bus to your room can feel very long! That said, if you get a good room location at Coronado Spring your room can be quite close to a bus stop, and we had good luck taking the theme park buses to the front of the resort to avoid the long walk.

Wendy Pleakley

Echoing the French Quarter suggestion for the sake of size. The other resorts are large and spread out and after walking all day at the parks that extra 10-15 minutes from the bus to your room can feel very long! That said, if you get a good room location at Coronado Spring your room can be quite close to a bus stop, and we had good luck taking the theme park buses to the front of the resort to avoid the long walk.

This is true. Even if you have a room in "the boonies", the larger resorts have multiple bus stops so you don't have to walk 20 minutes to catch a theme park bus, and you can take a bus from your room area to the hotel amenities if you wish.

French Quarter is definitely the safe bet in any case. Close enough to Port Orleans that you can still pop over there to check it out. The boat to Disney Springs offers a nice change from the usual WDW buses.

Downside of FQ being small is that it sells out quicker, so less likely you'll get a discount there if that is a consideration.

ThatMouse

I find the moderate at the $150 / night price range, but those are rare at the moment and construction is really squeezing availability. Hopefully the price calms down. At $250 there are deluxes for that much, or for not much more.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Out of the moderates I go with Coronado or Riverside. I'm not a big fan of French Quarter or CBR. I like the theming at POR and CS so much better and it's not bad at all with the internal buses.

Pam

WDWJeffC37

We love Coronado Springs even with the construction. It didn't affect our last stay (5-27-17) at all. We were in Ranchos section which was close to the main pool and right next to a quiet pool. We don't mind the walk to the lobby. We don't go there that often. We had great bus service to all of the parks. The main pool is going to be closed for refurbishment this fall so that might make a difference to you. Cheers!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom