runDisney Star Wars Events

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
For the 1st time ever, I got swept! Got behind due to a potty break and was not able to catch up to the pace group I was following. I was really struggling in this heat - and I live in Florida. 😣

Was a few paces behind the balloon ladies and as I turned to head into Hollywood Studios, a race staff member put a cone right in front of me and told me to get on the bus. I wasn't the only one.

I'm sunburned, my feet are killing me and I want a nap. But I got a Half medal, so all is not lost.

Congrats to everyone who finished what was a brutally hot race.

Imagine if the race was held the normal weekend.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I
I would not have been able to finish if I didn’t find the 3:30 pace group with J and Susan. They made it fun. Run 15 seconds and walk 30.

I was between the 3:15 and 3:30 pacers for my corral. But that long wait to use the bathroom set me behind. I was fine exiting AK, but once we got to that loooong stretch of road, with no shade, I thought I might be in trouble. I was surprised when the lady told me to get on the bus as I was ready to go around the cone at the entrance to Hollywood Studios. But she probably did me a favor...not that I thought that at the time. I think it would have been worse to be swept in the parks 3 miles or less from the finish line. Or worse, keeled over from heat exhaustion. In spite of doing everything one should, that heat took it out of me.

Glad you were able to finish.

Figment82

For the 1st time ever, I got swept! Got behind due to a potty break and was not able to catch up to the pace group I was following. I was really struggling in this heat - and I live in Florida. 😣

Was a few paces behind the balloon ladies and as I turned to head into Hollywood Studios, a race staff member put a cone right in front of me and told me to get on the bus. I wasn't the only one.

I'm sunburned, my feet are killing me and I want a nap. But I got a Half medal, so all is not lost.

Congrats to everyone who finished what was a brutally hot race.

Imagine if the race was held the normal weekend.
Aw man, I’m so sorry! The heat and humidity were no joke this weekend. Going into this morning, I thought I would be able to get a sub-3:00 based on my training, but the weather and crowded course slowed me down. I was able to squeak out a 3:03. Now my knees are yelling at me... This race is just cursed to be hot, I think. Watch it be really cool and pleasant on Easter weekend, just to spite us.

Texas84

I didn't feel over-heated but I was drenched with sweat. This was probably my 2nd or 3rd slowest Disney half. The last 6 miles felt like Marathon. Going to Epcot the day before might not have been a good idea. At W&D I'm staying at the resort and resting the day before the half. And, as always, the best part is being on the bus back to the resort and seeing all those runners still headed for DHS. But this year I was really worried about them.

Headed home tomorrow and I'll get everyone's miles updated later.

We left AK today about noon. Just too hot. Had the EMH, did Rivers first then 90 minutes for FoP. After we got out it was already 3 hours. Have a Garden Rocks dinner at France tonight but storms are rolling in. Crossing fingers.

So I signed up for the virtual half separate, as I have in the past, then read the rules and thought, uh oh, I messed up. But there were so many runners confused by this they allowed us to get the Kessel with a $10 handling charge which I gladly paid. My virtual will be mailed.

Figment82

Have a Garden Rocks dinner at France tonight but storms are rolling in. Crossing fingers.

We really wanted to go, but the forecast is just so iffy we are skipping tonight and probably won’t make it over tomorrow. The last thing I want to do is juggle an 8 month old in the pouring rain! Always love seeing Dennis DeYoung, but don’t think it’ll happen this year. I hope it works out for you! And enjoy your dinner - Chefs de France is delicious!

LAKid53

Premium Member
I didn't feel over-heated but I was drenched with sweat. This was probably my 2nd or 3rd slowest Disney half. The last 6 miles felt like Marathon. Going to Epcot the day before might not have been a good idea. At W&D I'm staying at the resort and resting the day before the half. And, as always, the best part is being on the bus back to the resort and seeing all those runners still headed for DHS. But this year I was really worried about them.

Headed home tomorrow and I'll get everyone's miles updated later.

We left AK today about noon. Just too hot. Had the EMH, did Rivers first then 90 minutes for FoP. After we got out it was already 3 hours. Have a Garden Rocks dinner at France tonight but storms are rolling in. Crossing fingers.

So I signed up for the virtual half separate, as I have in the past, then read the rules and thought, uh oh, I messed up. But there were so many runners confused by this they allowed us to get the Kessel with a $10 handling charge which I gladly paid. My virtual will be mailed.

View attachment 362757

Congrats on the medals. Yes, it's another hot day at WDW. And it's supposed to rain tonight. Currently there's severe thunderstorms moving through my part of Florida - as my daughter is driving to Atlanta, so we'll get that weather late tonight at Disney. Just like the 5K. Ok, joy.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We really wanted to go, but the forecast is just so iffy we are skipping tonight and probably won’t make it over tomorrow. The last thing I want to do is juggle an 8 month old in the pouring rain! Always love seeing Dennis DeYoung, but don’t think it’ll happen this year. I hope it works out for you! And enjoy your dinner - Chefs de France is delicious!

I love their lobster bisque. I'm cooking dinner in my room.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Just made it back home from a memorable weekend. My first ever runDisney event and my first ever Half Marathon. What a blast! Way, way too humid (and impossible to prepare for given the cold we had here leading up to the race), but such a good time.

Welcome to the fam! Princess was miserable warm/humid too. I'm hoping wine/dine will be nice like last year

HiJe

Hi all,

Just got back and happy to say I finished the 10K!!! Didn't see the sweepers at all. Was such an awesome first experience (early 2:45am wake up included). Finished in 1:26. Insulin Pump fell off at mile 4 entering Epcot, but had no problems. Around mile 3 it hurt more to walk then to run, so that kept me going. But my knee is definitely paying for it now. Also, when I first got to my resort, I realized I left my running shorts at home and had to panic buy a pair at the Expo that was one size too small. Eventually got to Disney Springs and exchanged them for a pair that fit better. Saw someone pass out on the ground under the exit ramp bridge as I was running over it. Not sure what happened. Also, got to pee on a highway in Florida for the first time ever. Luckily, I'm a guy and didn't have to wait for the port-a-potties. Now just need to save a ton of money to run some more of these.

Texas84

Saw the first set from the back, then the second set was cancelled after two songs due to weather. Dennis was not happy. That was our early entry time. But the two songs were great. We really enjoyed Chefs.

Figment82

Hi all,

Just got back and happy to say I finished the 10K!!! Didn't see the sweepers at all. Was such an awesome first experience (early 2:45am wake up included). Finished in 1:26. Insulin Pump fell off at mile 4 entering Epcot, but had no problems. Around mile 3 it hurt more to walk then to run, so that kept me going. But my knee is definitely paying for it now. Also, when I first got to my resort, I realized I left my running shorts at home and had to panic buy a pair at the Expo that was one size too small. Eventually got to Disney Springs and exchanged them for a pair that fit better. Saw someone pass out on the ground under the exit ramp bridge as I was running over it. Not sure what happened. Also, got to pee on a highway in Florida for the first time ever. Luckily, I'm a guy and didn't have to wait for the port-a-potties. Now just need to save a ton of money to run some more of these.
So glad everything worked out for you! And aren’t they addicting? Once you finish one, it’s hard to resist coming back for more. 😊

Figment82

Saw the first set from the back, then the second set was cancelled after two songs due to weather. Dennis was not happy. That was our early entry time. But the two songs were great. We really enjoyed Chefs.
Ugh, sorry the weather didn’t cooperate, but I’m glad you had a good meal and were able to catch a couple songs from the reserved seating. I know Dennis hates missing a show. His bass guitarist covered for him once when he lost his voice and he posted a long apology on his FB page. Such a classy guy. I hope he’ll be back for F&W.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom