runDisney Star Wars Events

Figment82

So legacies will get advanced registration? Why not do it a month or two AFTER the race is over?

I’m not sure - they’ve always sent it out the same day as AP/DVC. It’s basically a guaranteed spot held until the night before general registration. It’s probably just easier for them since the system is set up for everyone. Heck, I’m ready to sign up for the next year as soon as I cross the finish line!

HiJe

Has anyone ran this 10k course before? I was looking at the course on Google Maps Street View and it looks like between Miles 2 and 3 are at an incline after the on-ramp. Is the case or am I just seeing things? Also, will they stop picking people off that aren't able to keep up with the 16min/Mile pace once you enter the park? Or will they continue to put you on the bus? Just curious.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Has anyone ran this 10k course before? I was looking at the course on Google Maps Street View and it looks like between Miles 2 and 3 are at an incline after the on-ramp. Is the case or am I just seeing things? Also, will they stop picking people off that aren't able to keep up with the 16min/Mile pace once you enter the park? Or will they continue to put you on the bus? Just curious.

View attachment 358025

Oh, we are so familiar with that part of the course. Yes, that's an on ramp to the road leading to Epcot with Disney's version of a hill....that's curved and sloped. And that jog after Mile 3 that puts you on the road leading into Epcot is also an incline. Most of this course mimics the last few miles of the Princess Half.

Unless you self sweep, they won't pick you up after Mile 3...there aren't any "parade buses" after that.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@HiJe, if you're concerned about your prior injury slowing you down, make sure to stop at the medical tent along the course and slather Biofreeze on that area - there should be a tent on the overpass going over World Drive (just before Mile 3). At least that's where it's been in the past. They will also have vasoline (for chafing) and Tylenol, if you need it.

My running shoes are speckled with green drops of Biofreeze. 😁

HiJe

@HiJe, if you're concerned about your prior injury slowing you down, make sure to stop at the medical tent along the course and slather Biofreeze on that area - there should be a tent on the overpass going over World Drive (just before Mile 3). At least that's where it's been in the past. They will also have vasoline (for chafing) and Tylenol, if you need it.

My running shoes are speckled with green drops of Biofreeze. 😁

I should be ok. Just mental anxiety coming and going. To be honest, I'll probably be so tired from having to wake up so early, that I won't even notice my injury. But thank you for the hints.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I should be ok. Just mental anxiety coming and going. To be honest, I'll probably be so tired from having to wake up so early, that I won't even notice my injury. But thank you for the hints.

I've found that running on the bottom of the sloped, curved on ramp is better as the surface is more level at the bottom than the top. And don't be concerned about running on the grass, either.

Don't forget to bring some type of energy with you - gels or beans. With the warmer temps, you'll get tired much faster. As @Texas84 advises, use one every 3 miles. And make sure to stop at every hydration table. I'm hoping they will have Powerade for the 10k this time. I made that recommendation in my survey response after the Princess weekend.

Rose&Crown

View attachment 358025

It’s very similar to the food and wine 10k last year. The ramps between 2 and 3 were pretty tough. I train in south Florida where it’s completely flat. Food and wine didn’t go through the land area of the park which this run is.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It’s very similar to the food and wine 10k last year. The ramps between 2 and 3 were pretty tough. I train in south Florida where it’s completely flat. Food and wine didn’t go through the land area of the park which this run is.

Last year's W&D 10k.

05884345d1cfe32d0498bbfe4b76bf74-4-jpg.358054

Attachments

• 05884345d1cfe32d0498bbfe4b76bf74-4.jpg
    05884345d1cfe32d0498bbfe4b76bf74-4.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 347

HiJe

Thanks everyone. I live just outside of Chicago and there aren't many hills to train on around here. I'll be ok. I am one with the Force. The Force is with me.

Rose&Crown

Others already mentioned it but it's nearly similar to the W&D 10K.

The ramp between 2 and 3 wasn't my favorite. But it's better to have it after 2 miles than after 5 miles

This is true. Also even though I liked running through HS I did not like the narrow paths from HS to the boardwalk.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is true. Also even though I liked running through HS I did not like the narrow paths from HS to the boardwalk.

I think everyone hates that part of the course. And the temporary bus stops and all the fencing due to the Skyliner and new bus depot only made it worse. But I don't know any other way to get from DHS to Epcot those last few miles.

NormC

My physical therapist doesn't want me to do all three events. She says I am not ready. I injured my medial meniscus (minor tear) on Oct. 28th and I feel good. I have not been training it hard though because I wanted it to heal. Her rules are a day off between each run. I told her the five of us in the family are walking the 5K just for fun. Myself and my two daughters are doing 10K which will be a walk/run as well because of my oldest daughter's weight and plantar fasciitis. I am the only one registered for the half. I plan to run/walk as much as my knee allows. I am not looking at my time at all. I just want to try. I am ok with getting swept if it comes to that. She would like me to not do the half at all. I guess I will see how I feel after walking around the parks for 4 days as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom