Chiquita no longer sponsoring Living with the Land?

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Last week when I rode LWTL I noticed the Chiquita signs in the greenhouses were missing, along with “presented by Chiquita” on the guide maps. The Chiquita logo is still on the main attraction sign, but it looks like they may be on their way out. They originally began sponsorship in 2011 so maybe it was a 10 year deal? Not sure how much they invested in the attraction or if it will result in any changes now that they’re gone.

John park hopper

Kraft Foods was the first sponsor followed by Nestles and when they pulled out Chiquita took over in 2011 seems about time for a sponsor change. I liked the attraction when they had CM in the boats explaining things and you could ask questions IMO it was a shame they got rid of them. Guess it was a cost cutting move as Disney so often does.

John park hopper

Monsanto one of the biggest in GMO --turns Living with the Land into a new dark ride --remember little shop of horrors
iu.jpeg

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

That actually would make sense. I had heard rumors that the first several scenes were due to get a decent update/refresh - and then it didn't materialize. If there was a sponsor renewal or change pending, that would answer the question. While I know it may not be everyone's favorite, LwtL actually has pretty high guest sat and - without the live narrators (pro or con) - some of the highest per hour capacity in WDW. It could definitely use a refresh on the show scenes. They've actually done a great job on keeping the greenhouses fresh (pun only slightly intended).

SoFloMagic

Most folks on this side of the Atlantic don't have conniptions when confronted with genetically modified organisms. Like your Covid vaccine?
Not all GMOs are the same, but they're all grouped together and seen as evil. But Monsanto did pioneer "roundup ready" seeds with a license agreement on them so that farmers couldn't re-seed their own crops... That's pretty evil. Oh and the whole Bt corn killing off the monarch butterflies thing. Put that next to the butterfly house for some synergy.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Didn’t Monsanto get eaten by Bayer? Might be a harder sell.

Monsanto was an opening day WDW sponsor IIRC...

ppete1975

Didn’t Monsanto get eaten by Bayer? Might be a harder sell.

Monsanto was an opening day WDW sponsor IIRC...
monsanto WAS tomorrowland in disney land for years.
At Disneyland they include:

And at Walt Disney World they included:

• Magic Eye Theatre
  • Circle Vision 360

Last edited:

DoleWhipDrea

Yeah, and then the whole Agent Orange debacle made Monsanto a dirty word and Disney decided it wasn’t in their best interest to be associated with them.

LwtL is one of my favorite attractions. I’d love to see it get a few upgrades, like a “fresh” musical take on “Listen to the Land,” a few upgrades with AAs and special effects in the beginning of the ride and something more exciting for the ending, but overall stay mostly the way it is. Keep the IP away!!! It doesn’t need it. It warms my heart to see how excited guests of all ages get when you reach the greenhouses.

It’s still staying true to EPCOT’s mission and getting people excited about the very real ways that we can make the future better and brighter, even in your own home.

muddyrivers

Does anyone have an idea as to how much Chiquita was paying Disney for the sponsorship? I'm curious since I can't imagine it would be as much as say GM pays for Test Track or HP did for Mission Space.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Chiquita was purchased by a Brazilian company a few years ago, I wonder if that changed the company’s attitude towards Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom