Children Returning to Schools

seabreezept813

Well, that didn't take long. Just got a letter from the high school that a student tested positive and that my son was NOT a close contact (thank goodness). They've sanitized the school and have conducted full contact tracing. I have a feeling we're going to be getting a lot of these...it's only been two weeks.
If staff have to quarantine they won’t be able to keep going. There is no one who wants sub jobs. Trust me I’ve been in the hiring room.

Angel Ariel

Advertisement
If staff have to quarantine they won’t be able to keep going. There is no one who wants sub jobs. Trust me I’ve been in the hiring room.
Our district is only allowing teachers to request subs if they’re going to be out for 3 days or longer, as the sub shortage is so enhanced and critical right now.

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster
Well, at least we have SOME good news...they've created a COVID dashboard just for our school district and keep it on the district website. It will only be updated once weekly, but I'm glad they're making the information public.

Here's what it says today...

COVID-19 Weekly Report
Last Udated:9/25/2020

*Total Number of Students 7,236

Total Number of Students with a Current Positive COVID-19 Status 3
Total Number of Students Quarantined Due to Exposure at School 0
Total Number of Students Quarantined Due to Non-School Exposure 20

Total Number of Employees 1,481
Total Number of Employees with a Current Positive COVID-19 Status 0
Total Number of Employees Quarantined Due to Exposure at School 0
Total Number of Employees Quarantined Due to Non-School Exposure 4

*Number of students currently enrolled in Remote Learning that do not attend in person classes 699

Laketravis

Well, at least we have SOME good news...they've created a COVID dashboard just for our school district and keep it on the district website. It will only be updated once weekly, but I'm glad they're making the information public.

Wow, that's a lot of employees for that many students!

seabreezept813

What color is your town? I’m surprised there’s so many quarantining from outside of school exposure.

Lora Baines Bradley

B69E0457-FFF3-455B-A09C-6768E3CE94FA.png

Here’s the numbers for my school...

TP2000

Didn't want to derail any other threads, and this is an important topic for many of us, so I figured I'd start a new thread.

I'm in MA, and am at a complete loss with regards to what I've seen so far for our district's plan for children returning to school in September. The minimum distance between desks is 3' - seat-edge to seat-edge - which, as we all know, goes completely against what has been drilled into our heads from the beginning of the pandemic. They are also pushing for as many bodies in schools as possible, which also goes against what science says is safe...with the caveat that windows should be open to aid in ventilation - even in the winter. I really can't even begin to express how much less faith I now have in our district leaders.

Wait, the death rate for school children aged 5 to 14 in Massachusetts from the flu is 0.2% per 100,000. But the death rate for school children aged 5 to 14 in Massachusetts from Covid-19 is 0.0001% per 100,000.

So if a parent in Revere or Acton or Framingham was willing to send their child to school in the 2010's during flu season with a 0.2% chance of death from the flu, why wouldn't those same parents want to send their children to school in 2020 with a 0.0001% chance of death from Covid?

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster
Wait, the death rate for school children aged 5 to 14 in Massachusetts from the flu is 0.2% per 100,000. But the death rate for school children aged 5 to 14 in Massachusetts from Covid-19 is 0.0001% per 100,000.

So if a parent in Revere or Acton or Framingham was willing to send their child to school in the 2010's during flu season with a 0.2% chance of death from the flu, why wouldn't those same parents want to send their children to school in 2020 with a 0.0001% chance of death from Covid?

Some families have people at home who are at high risk for severe symptoms.

TP2000

Some families have people at home who are at high risk for severe symptoms.

Understood. So the schools have to shut down entirely because a small minority of families have an 80 year old grandma living with them? That makes no sense.

Instead of punishing all school children and closing the schools for another year, why don't you just create a system where the schoolchild who has an 80 year old grandma living with them can Zoom in from home?

Laketravis

Understood. So the schools have to shut down entirely because a small minority of families have an 80 year old grandma living with them? That makes no sense.

Instead of punishing all school children and closing the schools for another year, why don't you just create a system where the schoolchild who has an 80 year old grandma living with them can Zoom in from home?

Well, because, that simply doesn't cater to the fear. Duh.

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster

I'm not engaging in this discussion yet again...especially when the comment you responded to is an old one and the situation with the virus isn't static. Also, that you think 80-year-old people are the only ones at risk says a lot.
Well, because, that simply doesn't cater to the fear. Duh.
Nice. Making light of legitimate concerns.

Angel Ariel

Because there’s more things to be concerned about than death with Covid. Long term impact is a concern. So is the advice from my daughter’s geneticists at Johns Hopkins. I’ll take their evaluation of the concern over random people on the internet. (And no, they do not have the same concerns for DD with the flu).

aw14

Because there’s more things to be concerned about than death with Covid. Long term impact is a concern. So is the advice from my daughter’s geneticists at Johns Hopkins. I’ll take their evaluation of the concern over random people on the internet. (And no, they do not have the same concerns for DD with the flu).
Do you mind if I ask what your concerns are? This is a serious question, because we have had positive test in both my school and the school my daughter goes to.

21stamps

That would make too much sense. 🤷‍♀️

Top Bottom