Children Returning to Schools

21stamps

Dang....

We start back in the morning.

Lunch... tomorrow is "Chicken Chunks" with mashed potatoes or broccoli. and mandarin oranges. Neither kid is going for that, so I making lunch.

I've already emailed my 4th graders teachers to make contact since we didnt get to meet in person, but have been talked to others at school throughout the summer.

Middle school is calling ALL parents individually to answer any questions.

I wear a mask when we go to the store and I am of the opinion Covid is really serious. Also supportive of the lockdowns earlier in the year and think things opened back up WAY too quickly. I also feel good about what our district is doing to help mitigate the risk in the schools.
Calling individually sounds great!

Our Curriculum Night is now a Zoom meeting, separate time slots for grade groups. Should be fun. 🙄
We had something similar with soccer a few months ago. I got annoyed, logged off and waited for the recorded version to be emailed, so I could skip the repetitive questions.

Our “Meet the Teacher night” is a drive by.. still don’t have all details on that.

We tried packing lunch, for about 3 months because DD said she wanted to. Usually consisted of a sandwich, veggies, snack, and one of those Pediasures. The salads and veggies were always eaten but the sandwich was only sometimes eaten. It was just cheaper for us to do school lunch because the price is set, salad bar was free, and the sharing table apparently had plenty veggies. (Unopened items like the shrink wrapped fruits or veggies could be put on the table if someone didn’t want them. If they ate their main entree, they could then grab something else from the sharing table) They had to do away with the sharing table this year due to covid but it was definitely a positive with her eating habits and saved me money.

Right! It sounds easier with one kid, but it’s really not much different when shopping, just more waste. Buying school lunches would be cheaper for me too.
I’m not trying to rush high school, but I will be happy when he can just have a lunch account and I’m done with it. 😂

21stamps

The private Catholic school I worked at had Papa Gino’s come in everyday for lunch.. so gross

The same thing everyday?! Crazy!

Our Friday’s are a rotate of 4 local restaurants..1 each week of the month, but the kids have a choice of what to order, it’s individual meals. Orders are due by Wednesday morning.. I have an alarm in my phone to remind me. Forgot once and had to hear about it for a month.lol

Patcheslee

Our Curriculum Night is now a Zoom meeting, separate time slots for grade groups. Should be fun. 🙄
We had something similar with soccer a few months ago. I got annoyed, logged off and waited for the recorded version to be emailed, so I could skip the repetitive questions.
Can't you change backgrounds on Zoom? It'd be slightly funny to have the background set to kids having a food fight or something o_O
I've got the Millennium Falcon engine room, and coworkers thought I was in our engine test cells :happy:

21stamps

Can't you change backgrounds on Zoom? It'd be slightly funny to have the background set to kids having a food fight or something o_O
I've got the Millennium Falcon engine room, and coworkers thought I was in our engine test cells :happy:

That’s a great idea!! I didn’t think of that! Kiddo is banned from backgrounds because he spent too much time changing them during school meetings.. but I’m still allowed to use it! ;)

I’ll have to find a funny pic.. thanks for the idea!

Angel Ariel

From that perspective, yes...the issue is staffing. There is no money in the budget to hire more para professionals, let alone teachers, & I have many teachers opting for virtual. So I now have less staff that can proctor/supervise other areas (study hall/bathroom monitoring, etc..)

Murphy actually said, find it in other budgets. 🤦‍♂️
This is exactly the issue I’ve been mentioning that our district ran into when offering the choice.

Chi84

Premium Member
Hmm.. while I don’t really want to give specifics I’ll list 6 things and tell you I have half of them: diabetes, asthma, chrohns, pregnancy, blood-clot history, lupus
Sorry, I deleted that post because I didn’t mean to ask for any person’s specifics, just generally asking what type of disability would be covered under the ADA.

If a condition is covered by the ADA, I would think some reasonable accommodation would be required - it’s not like there’s a Covid exception.

Angel Ariel

Sorry, I deleted that post because I didn’t mean to ask for any person’s specifics, just generally asking what type of disability would be covered under the ADA.
This is what my district is saying

Individuals with health concerns may qualify for an accommodation in the workplace and are encouraged to submit requests for such accommodations as soon as possible using the ADA form. Older adults, those 65 years or older, and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions might be at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Some of these medical conditions include chronic lung disease, moderate to severe asthma, serious heart conditions, immunocompromised, severe obesity, diabetes, chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis, and liver disease.

Anyone with medically fragile family members in their household (but not themselves) is being directed to ask for FMLA or a leave of absence.

MinnieM123

My children's private elementary school did not have a cafeteria, but cold lunches were available for purchase - but they were pretty much things that I could just pack in a lunchbox myself, so I did. They did have a couple of fast food days, so I purchased those. Students ate in their classrooms, and seemed to survive. I don't know if scholarship students got a free lunch.

Their MS/HS had a real cafeteria which served breakfast and lunch - which they charged to their student ID. Scholarship students may or may not have gotten free meals - it depended upon the scholarship, and that information was not shared. They used the same ID as every other student - the accounting office made corrections on the bills.

Reminds me of the private school I attended, from grades 1-8. There was no cafeteria. We brought our own lunch to school, and ate at our desk in the classroom. (There was a local dairy that delivered those small milk cartons each day, and we did pay, weekly, for those. But that was it.)

From grades 9-12, I switched over to the public high school system, because my parents said it was very highly rated in the state (#2 ranking, I believe, at that time). They had a cafeteria, and daily school lunches -- I was thrilled with this! I loved public school. :joyfull:

21stamps

We were told hybrid tonight with no accommodations for at-risk staff. I’m not sure if they can really do that with ADA, but we’ll see..

Can you ask if you could do a different position for the time being, provide a letter from a physician? Or ask for a leave of absence?

I think, if you have to do the former, that you can qualify for the pandemic unemployment.. even if you’re on a leave. I’m not 100% certain though. May be worth looking into prior to making a decision.

Top Bottom