Children Returning to Schools

21stamps

Correct- he’s a disaster & has handled this (school
Issues) horribly. We delayed our start a bit to do some teacher training. We’re likely going to default to the county, and see what they say. If they decide to provide guidance, which is a big gift. Further- parents are signing up kids for virtual by the truck load right now. So Murphy might be null and void regardless.

Between this and the nursing home insanity, he should be called on to resign. Doubt it though.

What percentage of virtual do you have right now? Will he still allow parents to have the choice?

aw14

Advertisement
Between this and the nursing home insanity, he should be called on to resign. Doubt it though.

What percentage of virtual do you have right now? Will he still allow parents to have the choice?
Parents will have the choice, but I have more than 1/4 student population opting for virtual.

21stamps

Parents will have the choice, but I have more than 1/4 student population opting for virtual.

Isn’t that good though, to help reduce class sizes? My local district is about a 60in person/40 virtual split, but I forget the exact breakdown of elementary/middle/high school.. I didn’t receive the email, but I have talked to neighbors, and looked at the school’s public FB page.

Their schools are massive, which the 40% will help a lot with reducing numbers

aw14

Isn’t that good though, to help reduce class sizes? My local district is about a 60in person/40 virtual split, but I forget the exact breakdown of elementary/middle/high school.. I didn’t receive the email, but I have talked to neighbors, and looked at the school’s public FB page.

Their schools are massive, which the 40% will help a lot with reducing numbers
From that perspective, yes...the issue is staffing. There is no money in the budget to hire more para professionals, let alone teachers, & I have many teachers opting for virtual. So I now have less staff that can proctor/supervise other areas (study hall/bathroom monitoring, etc..)

Murphy actually said, find it in other budgets. 🤦‍♂️

21stamps

From that perspective, yes...the issue is staffing. There is no money in the budget to hire more para professionals, let alone teachers, & I have many teachers opting for virtual. So I now have less staff that can proctor/supervise other areas (study hall/bathroom monitoring, etc..)

In this instance, states should supply the money until the federal aid comes. The federal money is there..Ugh. I’m sorry I just don’t understand all of these hoops. It shouldn’t be this difficult on so many levels.

aw14

In this instance, states should supply the money until the federal aid comes. The federal money is there..Ugh. I’m sorry I just don’t understand all of these hoops. It shouldn’t be this difficult on so many levels.
No disagreement- especially if there was leadership. Sadly, totally nonpartisan, there is none, anywhere

21stamps

I can’t for the life me understand how we arrived at this point. Several months to prepare Plan A, B, C, and D for back to school, along with the needed funding.

So many levels of failure. I truly believe that there should be an investigation at the state level and trickle down, see what happened and why. A large portion of the school staff and school families are paying the price for incompetence somewhere along the line.
This is separate from teachers leveling attacks at parents while threatening to strike, in the media or on social media.

21stamps

I’m scared to open this email..

19B5D5E5-5F7B-4F09-85B5-50777E3E7BE6.jpeg

21stamps

Apparently there’s 3 changes,
1. our school HAS decided to offer virtual.. but I have no idea why anyone would do this, sounds like a gigantic waste of money.
2. they will allow ‘mask breaks’
3. kids will no longer eat in the classroom, will be going to lunchroom.

Here’s our plans-
81654697-B189-41E6-B0E8-53E31C863F41.jpeg

BF3CCCF7-E1DE-449B-A04D-43FE4CD19782.jpeg

935F8FE0-E79F-44B1-AD02-BC4AD1E55C05.jpeg

Here’s the new virtual option, can’t imagine who would take this???

B5F1D332-FA78-47A9-9CC3-13B8DBB6BAC3.jpeg

It sounds like the school has discretion on if a student can continue with distance learning, if they aren’t performing well. That make sense. I wonder if this is most schools’ policy.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
1. our school HAS decided to offer virtual.. but I have no idea why anyone would do this, sounds like a gigantic waste of money.

Here’s our plans-

View attachment 490394View attachment 490395View attachment 490396

View attachment 490397
I can't imagine who would choose the virtual option either unless the goal is simply not to have children in classrooms at this point of the pandemic. Maybe some parents who are comfortable with home schooling?

21stamps

I can't imagine who would choose the virtual option either unless the goal is simply not to have children in classrooms at this point of the pandemic. Maybe some parents who are comfortable with home schooling?

But they don’t need to pay several thousand dollars in tuition if they have the ability to teach their children anyway! It’s so strange. I’m super curious to know if any families are doing that. I haven’t heard of any... I know a large portion of the school (or friends who do and would have expressed shock at this), but obviously don’t know the decision of every single one.

We had 4 families (with a student in my kid’s grade) leave 2 and 3 years ago respectively to homeschool. They still play sports for the school and volunteer at concession stands. That makes a lot more sense than paying tuition for virtual, if not forced to.

21stamps

One of my parent friends withdrew all 4 of her kids this year (youngest was entering Kindergarten) and enrolled at the public schools for their ages, specifically because they were afraid of a repeat of spring (forced virtual) and didn’t want to spend tuition x4 on it.

Patcheslee

Here’s our plans-
View attachment 490407

View attachment 490395
View attachment 490408

View attachment 490397

It sounds like the school has discretion on if a student can continue with distance learning, if they aren’t performing well. That make sense. I wonder if this is most schools’ policy.
Ouch, no lunch provided? Does your school not have kids with free or reduced lunches? Or what happens with them?
And no there is no way I'd do virtual considering because of the possible difference in pacing vs the classroom. I'd worry my kid would fall behind the in classroom students. Other than that it looks similar to what we had when covid-19 hit here, not as structured and more need for parents to figure out. Hopefully they have training videos for new student parents because Google Classroom takes a bit to figure out.

21stamps

Ouch, no lunch provided? Does your school not have kids with free or reduced lunches? Or what happens with them?
And no there is no way I'd do virtual considering because of the possible difference in pacing vs the classroom. I'd worry my kid would fall behind the in classroom students. Other than that it looks similar to what we had when covid-19 hit here, not as structured and more need for parents to figure out. Hopefully they have training videos for new student parents because Google Classroom takes a bit to figure out.

It’s a Catholic school, and our school does not accept voucher families.. I’m not sure if voucher schools would have to offer lunch?.. I know we don’t have to. We can’t afford the staff and equipment.😂

Our lunchroom staff is parent volunteers. Friday’s are optional hot lunch days, they order from local restaurants. It’s not mandatory, but I pay for the entire year.. it’s my favorite of the week since I don’t have to pack a lunch. 😂. Seriously, I look forward to it weekly.
I’m assuming that due to the new restrictions on entering the building, that they don’t want to bring a bunch of parents in on every Friday. Not sure, though... but would make sense.
Loss of Hot Lunch Friday and Milk Cards are the biggest bummer for me, besides drop off. I’m scared to death of that. I’m thinking it will be a nightmare. Most of the families at school have 3-5 kids, how long is that going to take per vehicle?!

The virtual learning is exactly what we had in the spring when DeWine shut us down. Kids still had every single subject, but parents had to help with lessons. It was HELL, I can’t imagine choosing that willingly while paying tuition!

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
It’s a Catholic school, and our school does not accept voucher families.. I’m not sure if voucher schools would have to offer lunch?.. I know we don’t have to. We can’t afford the staff and equipment.

Our lunchroom staff is parent volunteers. Friday’s are optional hot lunch days, they order from local restaurants. It’s not mandatory, but I pay for the entire year.. it’s my favorite of the week since I don’t have to pack a lunch. 😂. Seriously, I look forward to it weekly.
I’m assuming that due to the new restrictions on entering the building, that they don’t want to bring a bunch of parents in on every Friday. Not sure, though... but would make sense.
Loss of Hot Lunch Friday and Milk Cards are the biggest bummer for me, besides drop off. I’m scared to death of that. I’m thinking it will be a nightmare. Most of the families at school have 3-5 kids, how long is that going to take per vehicle?

The virtual learning is exactly what we had in the spring when DeWine shut us down. Kids still had every single subject, but parents had to help with lessons. It was HELL, I can’t imagine choosing that willingly while paying tuition!

My children's private elementary school did not have a cafeteria, but cold lunches were available for purchase - but they were pretty much things that I could just pack in a lunchbox myself, so I did. They did have a couple of fast food days, so I purchased those. Students ate in their classrooms, and seemed to survive. I don't know if scholarship students got a free lunch.

Their MS/HS had a real cafeteria which served breakfast and lunch - which they charged to their student ID. Scholarship students may or may not have gotten free meals - it depended upon the scholarship, and that information was not shared. They used the same ID as every other student - the accounting office made corrections on the bills.

21stamps

My children's private elementary school did not have a cafeteria, but cold lunches were available for purchase - but they were pretty much things that I could just pack in a lunchbox myself, so I did. They did have a couple of fast food days, so I purchased those. Students ate in their classrooms, and seemed to survive. I don't know if scholarship students got a free lunch.

Their MS/HS had a real cafeteria which served breakfast and lunch - which they charged to their student ID. Scholarship students may or may not have gotten free meals - it depended upon the scholarship, and that information was not shared. They used the same ID as every other student - the accounting office made corrections on the bills.

Sounds similar to mine, though we didn’t have an option to buy cold lunches.. 1-8 (my school didn’t offer kindergarten) we didn’t have a real cafeteria with food stations, but once in high school we did.

As much as I hate packing lunch, I don’t think I would pay for a cold lunch either.

Eta- It’s not that I hate the physical packing part, it’s the shopping and planning part. Half of what I buy just ends up going bad, because I try to rotate what he has on each day. End up with wasted food weekly.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

Wish our teachers had a choice!

5thGenTexan

Dang....

We start back in the morning.

Lunch... tomorrow is "Chicken Chunks" with mashed potatoes or broccoli. and mandarin oranges. Neither kid is going for that, so I making lunch.

I've already emailed my 4th graders teachers to make contact since we didnt get to meet in person, but have been talked to others at school throughout the summer.

Middle school is calling ALL parents individually to answer any questions.

I wear a mask when we go to the store and I am of the opinion Covid is really serious. Also supportive of the lockdowns earlier in the year and think things opened back up WAY too quickly. I also feel good about what our district is doing to help mitigate the risk in the schools.

Patcheslee

Sounds similar to mine, though we didn’t have an option to buy cold lunches.. 1-8 (my school didn’t offer kindergarten) we didn’t have a real cafeteria with food stations, but once in high school we did.

As much as I hate packing lunch, I don’t think I would pay for a cold lunch either.

Eta- It’s not that I hate the physical packing part, it’s the shopping and planning part. Half of what I buy just ends up going bad, because I try to rotate what he has on each day. End up with wasted food weekly.
We tried packing lunch, for about 3 months because DD said she wanted to. Usually consisted of a sandwich, veggies, snack, and one of those Pediasures. The salads and veggies were always eaten but the sandwich was only sometimes eaten. It was just cheaper for us to do school lunch because the price is set, salad bar was free, and the sharing table apparently had plenty veggies. (Unopened items like the shrink wrapped fruits or veggies could be put on the table if someone didn’t want them. If they ate their main entree, they could then grab something else from the sharing table) They had to do away with the sharing table this year due to covid but it was definitely a positive with her eating habits and saved me money.

seabreezept813

It’s a Catholic school, and our school does not accept voucher families.. I’m not sure if voucher schools would have to offer lunch?.. I know we don’t have to. We can’t afford the staff and equipment.😂

Loss of Hot Lunch Friday and Milk Cards are the biggest bummer for me, besides drop off. I’m scared to death of that. I’m thinking it will be a nightmare. Most of the families at school have 3-5 kids, how long is that going to take per vehicle?!

The private Catholic school I worked at had Papa Gino’s come in everyday for lunch.. so gross

Top Bottom