Children Returning to Schools

Archie123

And despite what some states are thinking, a mask requirement won’t solve the issue. The airflow issues and having kids wear masks correctly will create a problem.

Oh I agree but at least it’s another level of safety that could be implemented. They are just choosing not to. This is the second school to close because of the coronavirus and it will certainly not be the last. Anyone who thinks that their schools are taking the proper precautions are just fooling themselves.

seabreezept813

Advertisement
Oh I agree but at least it’s another level of safety that could be implemented. They are just choosing not to. This is the second school to close because of the coronavirus and it will certainly not be the last. Anyone who thinks that their schools are taking the proper precautions are just fooling themselves.

Absolutely. Georgia is a hot mess, but plenty of other places will be too. What many of the teachers at my school can’t wrap our heads around is lunch. How is it okay for all these kids to be unmasked for lunch? Then who cleans after? Who supervises them? It’s crazy.

Archie123

Absolutely. Georgia is a hot mess, but plenty of other places will be too. What many of the teachers at my school can’t wrap our heads around is lunch. How is it okay for all these kids to be unmasked for lunch? Then who cleans after? Who supervises them? It’s crazy.

Today was the highest number of coronavirus deaths in Georgia. But people are worrying about HS sports and other nonsense when they can’t even keep the schools open.

21stamps

Well yes, it is anecdotal because for every example you provide, I could provide a different one. Do you have data to show how many teachers are partaking in risky behaviors? Pictures on Facebook, stories about one person—those are anecdotes. You won’t see pictures of me at the beach on Facebook or anywhere else. Maybe a pic of my daughter playing dress up. One of my friend’s consistently posts pictures of her backyard—that’s the only place she’s been. It’s almost as if you are making assumptions about a group of people. And this whole parents burn teachers at the stake crusade is wild—most teachers are parents, many of school aged children.

I posted a story from tonight, while chatting with other soccer parents.. that’s all it was. I’m sorry that you are so offended by it.

I do have to say that I didn’t realize your child was two. When you were talking about in home daycare for school aged children, I thought you were talking elementary. Also, I wouldn’t expect a 2 year old to have a social life or be involved in extracurriculars. I wouldn’t be out as much either if mine was still that age.

21stamps

And despite what some states are thinking, a mask requirement won’t solve the issue. The airflow issues and having kids wear masks correctly will create a problem.

Wait, you’re now saying that my earlier info was wrong? That 6 of the top children’s hospitals in this country are wrong?

seabreezept813

I posted a story from tonight, while chatting with other soccer parents.. that’s all it was. I’m sorry that you are so offended by it.

I do have to say that I didn’t realize your child was two. When you were talking about in home daycare for school aged children, I thought you were talking elementary. Also, I wouldn’t expect a 2 year old to have a social life or be involved in extracurriculars. I wouldn’t be out as much either if mine was still that age.

I wasn’t offended, just pointing out that many teachers are very serious with precautions. My stepdaughter is 16. It is harder to reign her in.. and we feel bad that she’s lost time. She went to one small birthday party that took place outside and the mom provided everyone with a mask—maybe 8 kids total. She recently went to the beach with her boyfriend’s family, which we did not support so she is quarantining from us for 2 weeks. We were concerned about her being overnight with people we don’t know well. It’s killing me not to see her for 2 weeks but we see my parents almost daily and feel confident doing so because we basically go nowhere. I am also immunocompromised. So we just couldn’t take that risk.

Attachments

• 1597196704652.png
    1597196704652.png
    127 KB · Views: 1

seabreezept813

Wait, you’re now saying that my earlier info was wrong? That 6 of the top children’s hospitals in this country are wrong?

No, I’m saying the masks won’t be as effective as we want them to be because kids won’t wear them properly. I worked in a private school with a dress code. I’ve probably said tuck in your shirt millions of times. And there were consequences for not being in dress code. Still, the kids showed up everyday with the same violations. I don’t trust public schools to follow through with consequences for the mask wearing. It’s kind of hard to understand unless you’ve worked in a classroom for years. Kids do not always make smart choices. They touch each other, share food and drink, and believe it or not some don’t listen. There will most definitely be a kid who throws his/her mask on the floor as they tell me to go duck myself if you know what I mean. There will be the kid who takes the mask off and coughs on their friend because they think it’s funny. And then there will be the innocent offenses—a student with a disability, kids who can’t stop touching the masks. Many parents will prepare their kids, but so many will not.

21stamps

No, I’m saying the masks won’t be as effective as we want them to be because kids won’t wear them properly. I worked in a private school with a dress code. I’ve probably said tuck in your shirt millions of times. And there were consequences for not being in dress code. Still, the kids showed up everyday with the same violations. I don’t trust public schools to follow through with consequences for the mask wearing. It’s kind of hard to understand unless you’ve worked in a classroom for years. Kids do not always make smart choices. They touch each other, share food and drink, and believe it or not some don’t listen. There will most definitely be a kid who throws his/her mask on the floor as they tell me to go duck myself if you know what I mean. There will be the kid who takes the mask off and coughs on their friend because they think it’s funny. And then there will be the innocent offenses—a student with a disability, kids who can’t stop touching the masks. Many parents will prepare their kids, but so many will not.

I see kids wearing masks properly every single day. I understand what you are saying about kids, to an extent, but I think you’re greatly underestimating them during this time.

Their lives have been turned upside down, much worse than ours were, with less understanding of it, and less tools to cope. They do not want to go back to being home alone. They want to go to school, play sports, band, art, recreational activities. All of that requires strict rules right now- and they are following them!!
There might be outliers, of course, but those can be swiftly dealt with.

I know that public school staff does not have as much authority as private schools staff when it comes to rules for kids and parents.. but right now it’s different.. you will have more authority because of the pandemic. Mayors, governors, local health departments.. 1 or all of them are backing you.
If they’re not, then you should be demanding mask rules for schools... instead of teachers unions spending so much time making ad campaigns targeting republican senators, and making picket signs with “Teachers aren’t babysitters” etc.

Parents haven’t lost respect for teachers, they have lost respect for a subset of teachers who are treating their students’ education and well being with less respect than anyone thought possible.

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster
One of my son's teachers told me a couple of weeks ago that a mom friend had sent their child to school with a mask and mom was puzzled when the boy came home wearing a different mask...

...he and his friend had TRADED MASKS.

seabreezept813

I see kids wearing masks properly every single day. I understand what you are saying about kids, to an extent, but I think you’re greatly underestimating them during this time.

Their lives have been turned upside down, much worse than ours were, with less understanding of it, and less tools to cope. They do not want to go back to being home alone. They want to go to school, play sports, band, art, recreational activities. All of that requires strict rules right now- and they are following them!!
There might be outliers, of course, but those can be swiftly dealt with.

I know that public school staff does not have as much authority as private schools staff when it comes to rules for kids and parents.. but right now it’s different.. you will have more authority because of the pandemic. Mayors, governors, local health departments.. 1 or all of them are backing you.
If they’re not, then you should be demanding mask rules for schools... instead of teachers unions spending so much time making ad campaigns targeting republican senators, and making picket signs with “Teachers aren’t babysitters” etc.

Parents haven’t lost respect for teachers, they have lost respect for a subset of teachers who are treating their students’ education and well being with less respect than anyone thought possible.

Of course there will be plenty of kids who do great because truly most kids are awesome. But as usual, one spoiled apple can ruin the bunch. I know in our area, it’s common to tell kids to take honors or AP to get out of the CP classes because of behavioral issues. I had one class last year, where 70% had been suspended—drugs, bullying, etc. over a period of 4 months. It was just one of those years. And believe it or not many were getting the drugs from their parents, which is why it kept repeating. They had no at home consequences.
In my experience, most teachers questioning reopening want to know why schools are not being accounted for in state plans. And actually some superintendents have gone public finally asking this question. Where is the logic in telling people they cannot gather indoors with more than 50 people, but schools can host 400-800 indoors. It’s not because kids don’t get the virus because they do, and especially older kids can spread it. Why is our commissioner of education’s office closed ( per order of the governor) the governor says schools with hundreds of people can open? That’s a very conflicting message. I want to know that if we open the state governor, the commissioner, the members of the school committee, and the administration would all feel comfortable monitoring my classroom while I take a bathroom break or during lunch when the kids don’t have masks. The mixed message of what the state is saying is okay for the general public versus what schools are being told to do makes me feel that we are knowingly being put into a dangerous situation.

21stamps

In soccer, and in baseball, I have watched U6-U13 kids behave so well under the current standards.

If they congregate on the sidelines, if they rough house or even touch another kid, if they share a bat or glove or water bottle or bring sunflower seeds- they will be sent home immediately. They know that they are putting their entire team and club in danger, not just of the virus, but of being shut down again. They follow the rules, because they don’t want that to happen.

Kids are going to outdoor entertainment venues, wearing masks in 100 degree heat... BECAUSE they know that this is required.

seabreezept813

One of my son's teachers told me a couple of weeks ago that a mom friend had sent their child to school with a mask and mom was puzzled when the boy came home wearing a different mask...

...he and his friend had TRADED MASKS.
Eek.. it’s like when my stepdaughter would come home in elementary school with different toys or clothes.. I was like god please stop sharing, this is how we get lice..

21stamps

Of course there will be plenty of kids who do great because truly most kids are awesome. But as usual, one spoiled apple can ruin the bunch. I know in our area, it’s common to tell kids to take honors or AP to get out of the CP classes because of behavioral issues. I had one class last year, where 70% had been suspended—drugs, bullying, etc. over a period of 4 months. It was just one of those years. And believe it or not many were getting the drugs from their parents, which is why it kept repeating. They had no at home consequences.
In my experience, most teachers questioning reopening want to know why schools are not being accounted for in state plans. And actually some superintendents have gone public finally asking this question. Where is the logic in telling people they cannot gather indoors with more than 50 people, but schools can host 400-800 indoors. It’s not because kids don’t get the virus because they do, and especially older kids can spread it. Why is our commissioner of education’s office closed ( per order of the governor) the governor says schools with hundreds of people can open? That’s a very conflicting message. I want to know that if we open the state governor, the commissioner, the members of the school committee, and the administration would all feel comfortable monitoring my classroom while I take a bathroom break or during lunch when the kids don’t have masks. The mixed message of what the state is saying is okay for the general public versus what schools are being told to do makes me feel that we are knowingly being put into a dangerous situation.

A spoiled apple can’t ruin the bunch if that spoiled apple is dealt with immediately. It’s not as if someone removes their mask and then everyone gets infected right away.

seabreezept813

In soccer, and in baseball, I have watched U6-U13 kids behave so well under the current standards.

If they congregate on the sidelines, if they rough house or even touch another kid, if they share a bat or glove or water bottle or bring sunflower seeds- they will be sent home immediately. They know that they are putting their entire team and club in danger, not just of the virus, but of being shut down again. They follow the rules, because they don’t want that to happen.

Kids are going to outdoor entertainment venues, wearing masks in 100 degree heat... BECAUSE they know that this is required.

When I worked in private school and a kid gave me a hard time, all I had to say was okay I’ll talk to coach. It was awesome. All the kids did sports and being a private school where many had families that invested in their education it was so easy to enforce rules. The public sector is just such a different animal. I tried when I started, but some of these kids do nothing—no sports, no activities. Some just do drugs and lots of drugs. And while it isn’t the majority I’d say 30% fall into this category. The category of oh my god what can I get them to show interest in.. You’re lucky to have a solid community. I certainly miss the rules and uniforms in private schools, just not the pay.

21stamps

I truly think the best thing for all; would be for schools to post availability for teaching positions, and see how many qualified candidates apply. This way, the teachers are willing to take the risk, and not feel like they’re being forced.

Laketravis

21stamps

When I worked in private school and a kid gave me a hard time, all I had to say was okay I’ll talk to coach. It was awesome. All the kids did sports and being a private school where many had families that invested in their education it was so easy to enforce rules. The public sector is just such a different animal. I tried when I started, but some of these kids do nothing—no sports, no activities. Some just do drugs and lots of drugs. And while it isn’t the majority I’d say 30% fall into this category. The category of oh my god what can I get them to show interest in.. You’re lucky to have a solid community. I certainly miss the rules and uniforms in private schools, just not the pay.

Can’t that minority be dealt with during a pandemic? Maybe forced to do virtual if don’t comply? We are in strange times with new rules and rules no one expected, right? Shouldn’t public schools have the authority to protect their school community from the type of students you listed?

Top Bottom