Children Returning to Schools

aw14

Rumor running around NJ right now, is that some announcement about schools is coming this week. Most are expecting full virtual for the first marking period.

21stamps

Advertisement
Rumor running around NJ right now, is that some announcement about schools is coming this week. Most are expecting full virtual for the first marking period.

The only positive about state wide closures, is that it prevents the situation I described above, where neighboring districts in the same suburbs, will be doing opposite things. On the other hand, it’s even more kids/parents left in a lurch.

aw14

The only positive about state wide closures, is that it prevents the situation I described above, where neighboring districts in the same suburbs, will be doing opposite things. On the other hand, it’s even more kids/parents left in a lurch.
that is a huge problem (neighboring districts doing different things)

I live near a teacher from a neighboring district where I work. They are horribly confused, and dont understand how I am doing something different from what they are

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I get it, we pretend that a select portion of teachers are the only one’s who shouldn’t be at any health risk during a pandemic, even though they’ve already been home for 5 months, while millions of others have returned to the outside workforce, because feeding their families must come before ‘sheltered safe at home’. Now, those families who have been putting themselves at risk, are at greater risk of losing their income or having struggling kids.

For those who must go to an office or into the field or work a retail/food job, there is no other option. Clearly. Our government has let us down in this regards.

For those where another option is available, we should all be wanting for those people to work from home to limit the impact it has on those who have to go to work because no other option is available. The kids who are doing virtual school, have chosen this option, deserve the same kind of care and consideration as those in school are. There is an option here, regardless if you want to admit it or not.

They aren’t doing the exact job. If they were, they’d be in the classroom. If a parent/student wanted to do online school, then they wouldn’t be enrolled at a brick and mortar school.

What aspect of the job aren't they doing? You can say it...

I don’t know where all of you live, I can tell you that my area is almost completely opened up, even movie theaters are coming back in a week or so. I’m at a dentist office as we speak, waiting for my kid to get a cleaning and extractions, then we’re going home to pick up our dog, and take him to the groomer. Then I’m going back to the office, and kiddo will go to soccer training later.
Life has resumed, in a modified form (masks/distancing/temp checks), but it has resumed.

The fact that there are school districts in this area who are going fully virtual, while traffic is on the streets and businesses are all open.. is an absolute disgrace, an utter failure of incompetence. There’s really no other way to say it.

Disgrace? Incompetence? Okay. Your posts are borderline satire at this point.

One of the most ridiculous things I've read in a very long time:

There does need to be a conversation about potentially returning taxes to people if the full allotment is not used by schools.

Person 1: Why are we being treated the same across the state?! My city is doing everything right and we have very few cases here! Let us live our lives while the rest can't figure it out.
Also Person 1: Why can't the state just make everyone go to virtual school so there's not confusion from city to city?!

Laketravis

There does need to be a conversation about potentially returning taxes to people if the full allotment is not used by schools.

That's a stretch. If there happens to be any budgetary "surplus" due to Covid (highly unlikely as there are actually new costs on top of routine operational costs) it could be allocated to debt service.

21stamps

What aspect of the job aren't they doing? You can say it...
They are not doing their job as described. If we don’t need kids in a classroom, then we don’t need school buildings. The buildings are there, so they can be filled with students and staff. School is more than just filling out a worksheet paper, or listening to a lecture, there’s an entire social element that goes along with it. There’s also a qualified teacher right there, to help the student in the moment. These are just 2 reasons why the great majority of people do in fact choose traditional schooling.
There was already an option, pre COVID, to do FREE online state schooling.. if parents and kids wanted that, then they wouldn’t be in the tax revenue paid for building.

These are facts, whether one wishes to acknowledge it or not.

Person 1: Why are we being treated the same across the state?! My city is doing everything right and we have very few cases here! Let us live our lives while the rest can't figure it out.
Also Person 1: Why can't the state just make everyone go to virtual school so there's not confusion from city to city?!

If you read the post you quoted, then you would see that it’s not saying “all should go virtual!” It’s showing the issues of students and families, within the same communities, doing different things, and with issues of all not being in school. Two thoughts, same subject, not advocating for the former. Would have assumed that was clear.

21stamps

DeWine is being very responsible right now. I had a slight fear that he may be cave as Beshear did, but, luckily he’s not under any political obligations. He’s leaving the decisions to the districts, asking them to listen to what their communities want, and also asking the communities to help prevent spread. Praising teachers and school staff, but also gently reminding them that students in the classroom is the goal.

Out of 611 Public School Districts in Ohio, here’s who’s doing what-

38%- 5 Day a week In Person (have a virtual option)

25%- Fully Virtual

24.5% - Hybrid

75 Districts- No data/undecided

A minimum of 62.5% of Ohio public school students WILL have the option to be in a classroom to start the year.

Here’s a few notes from the conference, given by pediatric medical experts -

They overwhelmingly recommend an option to return to the classroom.

Here what schools should do, in order of importance-

1. Masks.

2. Limit close contact of 15minutes or more, 3ft is sufficient. 6ft is ideal, but probably not practical.

3. Hand Washing

4. Regular cleaning of surfaces, any cleaning product is fine, nothing special required. Also pointed out that COVID dies quickly, as soon as it dries.

These were the top 4 in keeping everyone safe, fine for schools to be successful in opening.
Then they mentioned ventilation, specifically as the lowest level of importance, but did say to open windows when possible.

Children’s hospitals have been trying to understand the severity/amount of infection in children age 0-18. They have been doing specific testing for this. Here’s some data from pediatric infectious disease and research experts-

14,000 Tested With Symptoms, age 0-18
8.6% tested positive

20,000 Asymptomatic, age 0-18, test results-
1.4% tested positive.

Out of the positive results, less than 1% had serious conditions.

Also out of the positive results, minority groups were 4-6 times higher than caucasians.

Based on all of this, which is much different from many of the experts in this thread and in the teachers unions, I’ll chose to trust the recommendations and data from pediatric medical professionals. It’s a bit funny that at one time, many here were saying “trust the experts”, but have somehow changed their tunes... I’m not quite sure why, would be interesting to know.

21stamps

Oh, I should mention the quarantine recommendations.

All of the speakers said that “close contact” means technically considered exposure, but doesn’t automatically equal a positive case.
They define Close Contact as less than 3 ft away for a period of 15 minutes or more.

If a bus driver tests positive, the students who sit at the back of the bus do not need to automatically quarantine. Same with school buildings, they don’t need to quarantine entire schools.

Can a high school teacher not be 3ft + away from his/her students, with closer contact being under 15 minutes?

Angel Ariel

Can we stop pretending that this wasn’t addressed by hybrid or a virtual option?
Class size isn’t addressed by virtual and hybrid options though, unless the district can live stream what’s happening in the classroom (which as I indicated earlier is not possible for many for many reasons). The same student:teacher ratio exists...the students are just in 2 different places at the same time, which actually makes it potentially more difficult to staff, as if you cannot livestream, it essentially requires 2 sets of staff, when schools barely have 1 set of staff to begin with.

21stamps

Then you are a perfect candidate for distance learning. At the same time, hopefully realizing that many kids have returned to socialization and extracurriculars, and those kids don’t want to go back to being locked at home all day.

Class size isn’t addressed by virtual and hybrid options though, unless the district can live stream what’s happening in the classroom (which as I indicated earlier is not possible for many for many reasons). The same student:teacher ratio exists...the students are just in 2 different places at the same time, which actually makes it potentially more difficult to staff, as if you cannot livestream, it essentially requires 2 sets of staff, when schools barely have 1 set of staff to begin with.

It’s the same lesson plan. You can send out the same assignments. If live stream isn’t possible, then your record, and send afterwards.

There are times when improvising and thinking outside of the box are necessary, not just thinking statically while making excuses for why something “can’t” be done. Everyone in this country has had to that recently.

ImperfectPixie

Original Poster
There are times when improvising and thinking outside of the box are necessary, not just thinking statically while making excuses for why something “can’t” be done. Everyone in this country has had to that recently.
That's pretty rich coming from someone who is demanding in-person learning or that teachers get a cut in pay for doing twice as much work.

21stamps

That's pretty rich coming from someone who is demanding in-person learning or that teachers get a cut in pay for doing twice as much work.

This is yet another post which doesn’t make much sense as an answer to what was written. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

21stamps

Anyway, at soccer tonight, I was talking to team parents.. one is a principal at a local district, they still have decided what they’re doing. They have bought a ton of cleaning supplies, ppe, some black light things that janitors can use on a whole classroom or something.

Another is a parent at a school who’s doing a hybrid schedule, but where many teachers are posting on FB that they don’t want to return because it’s too dangerous. Apparently, one of those vocal teachers has taken two beach vacations this summer, goes to KI with her kids, belongs to a swim club and is there multiple times per week. Several of them are going to restaurants and swim clubs. Teachers are having a protest, parents are doing a counter protest. It’s getting nasty out there.

seabreezept813

Anyway, at soccer tonight, I was talking to team parents.. one is a principal at a local district, they still have decided what they’re doing. They have bought a ton of cleaning supplies, ppe, some black light things that janitors can use on a whole classroom or something.

Another is a parent at a school who’s doing a hybrid schedule, but where many teachers are posting on FB that they don’t want to return because it’s too dangerous. Apparently, one of those vocal teachers has taken two beach vacations this summer, goes to KI with her kids, belongs to a swim club and is there multiple times per week. Several of them are going to restaurants and swim clubs. Teachers are having a protest, parents are doing a counter protest. It’s getting nasty out there.
And yet I know of three teachers who haven’t left their homes and get everything delivered. The majority, including myself, are only doing essential errands—groceries, etc. My daughter hasn’t seen other kids since March really, but she’s 2 so she’s happy with just us. It’s all anecdotal. For me, outdoor classes would be a game changer, but schools won’t do it. And the state will likely shut down again before it gets too cold.

21stamps

And yet I know of three teachers who haven’t left their homes and get everything delivered. The majority, including myself, are only doing essential errands—groceries, etc. My daughter hasn’t seen other kids since March really, but she’s 2 so she’s happy with just us. It’s all anecdotal. For me, outdoor classes would be a game changer, but schools won’t do it. And the state will likely shut down again before it gets too cold.

I don’t think it’s all.. I do think it’s quite ridiculous and massively idiotic to post social photos and vacations on FB, in between memes of “we’re not your babysitter” and “schools closed for safety!” and “teachers lives are at risk!” and then confirming that you will be attending a protest. As if the parents in your community aren’t seeing all of it.

seabreezept813

I don’t think it’s all.. I do think it’s quite ridiculous and massively idiotic to post social photos and vacations on FB, in between memes of “we’re not your babysitter” and “schools closed for safety!” and “teachers lives are at risk!” and then confirming that you will be attending a protest. As if the parents in your community aren’t seeing all of it.

Well yes, it is anecdotal because for every example you provide, I could provide a different one. Do you have data to show how many teachers are partaking in risky behaviors? Pictures on Facebook, stories about one person—those are anecdotes. You won’t see pictures of me at the beach on Facebook or anywhere else. Maybe a pic of my daughter playing dress up. One of my friend’s consistently posts pictures of her backyard—that’s the only place she’s been. It’s almost as if you are making assumptions about a group of people. And this whole parents burn teachers at the stake crusade is wild—most teachers are parents, many of school aged children.

Archie123

Man, Georgia is the model of why schools should be virtual. Besides all the bad press for some really bad optics we now have word that an entire school is closing until August 31st. This the school that all the seniors posing shoulder to shoulder for a picture.

And I can assure you that they had a strong plan in place like all the other schools that are opening. Unfortunately these plans are going to fail and you will have students starting and stopping and starting and stopping. Truly the worst way to learn.

1597195371933.jpeg

seabreezept813

Man, Georgia is the model of why schools should be virtual. Besides all the bad press for some really bad optics we now have word that an entire school is closing until August 31st. This the school that all the seniors posing shoulder to shoulder for a picture.

And I can assure you that they had a strong plan in place like all the other schools that are opening. Unfortunately these plans are going to fail and you will have students starting and stopping and starting and stopping. Truly the worst way to learn.

View attachment 490264

And despite what some states are thinking, a mask requirement won’t solve the issue. The airflow issues and having kids wear masks correctly will create a problem.

Top Bottom