Child swap now tied to MagicBands

tissandtully

Original Poster
Not sure if this has been posted, apologies if so, but I noticed yesterday, at least in TSL that child swap is now tied to magic bands and cards, and they no longer hand out the paper passes. You tell them you need rider swap and then the CM scans the bands of guests who stay behind. This should cut down on the "hack" of getting a free FP+ for a whole group.

bsiev1977

Not sure if this has been posted, apologies if so, but I noticed yesterday, at least in TSL that child swap is now tied to magic bands and cards, and they no longer hand out the paper passes. You tell them you need rider swap and then the CM scans the bands of guests who stay behind. This should cut down on the "hack" of getting a free FP+ for a whole group.
Good. Anything that cuts down on gaming the system is welcome

jbolen2

We always used this option. My son usually rides with me while our daughter who isn’t old enough for some rides waits with the wife. On the second round with my wife my son rides again with my wife. Will he still be able to do this or will my wife have to ride alone and/or just not ride.

Gillyanne

Yes! Thank goodness. People who were doubling up on their FPs and gaming the system annoyed me to no end.

From the looks of it, they can still double up (1 adult each book a T1 but both ride each w/ swap) but it sounds like w/ the MB there's the time limit (1hr + current wait time if needed), so people can no longer "collect" the CS passes and come back later in the day and do a bunch of rides then

doctornick

From the looks of it, they can still double up (1 adult each book a T1 but both ride each w/ swap) but it sounds like w/ the MB there's the time limit (1hr + current wait time if needed), so people can no longer "collect" the CS passes and come back later in the day and do a bunch of rides then
Can anyone detail the actual process now? Like, whose band is the "swap" on and how is it used? Sounds like it would still be that person + maybe 2 others but with a time limit on when it can be used.

PurpleJesus

What's the "hack"? We did this b/c our daughter was an infant last time. I'd ride w/ our old daughter - wife stayed with baby - then she'd ride with our older daughter.....what hack were we missing?

Gillyanne

Can anyone detail the actual process now? Like, whose band is the "swap" on and how is it used? Sounds like it would still be that person + maybe 2 others but with a time limit on when it can be used.

Now I've never used it b/c I'm usually solo with one too little to ride, so no one to swap with; but from that way I read it, the bands of those waiting tap to get the CS added to their band (up to 3 per party) but if there is only 1 person to tap, they can still bring 2 additional riders on with them

From Disney's FAQ page
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/ said:
To Use Rider Switch:
1. First check with a Cast member to see if Rider Switch is offered at the attraction in question.
2. Once at the attraction, approach the greeting Cast Member with your entire party. At least one adult member of your party and the Guests who are not riding will be issued a Ride Switch entitlement by the Cast Member and asked to wait in a designated area (usually outside of the attraction). This group is “Party 2.”
3. The other party members (“Party 1”) ride the attraction.
4. After riding the attraction, Party 1 locates Party 2. Then, Party 1 takes over supervision of the non-riding children or Guests.
5. Party 2 enters and boards the attraction without having to wait in the regular queue a second time. The Rider Switch entitlement must be validated by a Cast Member at this time.
If the person in Party 2 waited alone with the child, he or she may bring up to 2 other Guests back to ride the attraction with him or her. Please note that only 3 Guests are allowed per Rider Switch Pass.

And here's an IRL one of the "mom's panel" members experiences using it https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...-switch-ride-swap-issued-riders-first-373540/

jbolen2

The way it’s worded I’m confused how my son could go with me and my wife both times. If me and jase have fast passes for btmr and my wife does not. Winter would tap her band to be the rider swap once but would they let my son tap his to enable to go with her also even thought he is riding using his on fp in group one? Does everyone in group 2 have to be present and scan when group 1 goes in?

Last edited:

Biff215

I understand what this service actually is, but every time I see this thread I think of some fed up parents trading their unruly child for someone else's. Or, like, the worst possible version of take-a-penny, leave-a-penny.
That’s funny. Your version would be very popular, particularly in WDW.

Lensman

I understand what this service actually is, but every time I see this thread I think of some fed up parents trading their unruly child for someone else's. Or, like, the worst possible version of take-a-penny, leave-a-penny.
Problem from the other thread (with the toddler having a tantrum preventing the use of the return pass) SOLVED!

Patcheslee

Now I've never used it b/c I'm usually solo with one too little to ride, so no one to swap with; but from that way I read it, the bands of those waiting tap to get the CS added to their band (up to 3 per party) but if there is only 1 person to tap, they can still bring 2 additional riders on with them

From Disney's FAQ page

And here's an IRL one of the "mom's panel" members experiences using it https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...-switch-ride-swap-issued-riders-first-373540/
The only part I see as a possible issue is the waiting in a designated area. Is that truly enforced or can parents find something small nearby to entertain the kids not riding?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom