Chicago to WDW

Billy6

Hey all, I'm asking a question for a friend.... :)

Has anyone from the Chicago area, that has made the drive from the Windy City to the World, found a great hotel or hotel area along the way? In an effort to save some considerable dough for our annual June trip next year, we have decided to drive down to Orlando. We plan on staying a night going down and coming home. I am a Marriott member, and would prefer using one of their chains but a nice place will do! I was thinking the Macon, Georgia area but want to see what you all have....

Thanks in advance!!

PUSH

Not from Chicago, but from south west Wisconsin (2.5 or 3 hours from Chicago). About 20 minutes south of Atlanta, GA there is a nice Holiday Inn Express in a town called McDonnaugh (forgive me, but I think I spelled that wrong). Not a Marriott, but still very nice. We have stayed there 2 or 3 times. Rooms can be hard to find there though, we've been turned down once but didn't have any reservations and just walked in. If you make reservations you shouldn't have any issues. Hope I helped! :)

Upvote 0

Billy6

Original Poster
Not from Chicago, but from south west Wisconsin (2.5 or 3 hours from Chicago). About 20 minutes south of Atlanta, GA there is a nice Holiday Inn Express in a town called McDonnaugh (forgive me, but I think I spelled that wrong). Not a Marriott, but still very nice. We have stayed there 2 or 3 times. Rooms can be hard to find there though, we've been turned down once but didn't have any reservations and just walked in. If you make reservations you shouldn't have any issues. Hope I helped! :)
Yep, definatly! I figured someone who has made the trek from the area and not specifically Chicago would respond too. I am use looking for a good area/town, near the interstate as well. I'll look in that city for the hotels in the area! Thank you!

Upvote 0

lazyboy97o

I would just say look for proximity to I-475 which saves a few miles off going directly to the heart of Macon via I-75. There are plenty of stops along the Interstate in Georgia.

Upvote 0

PUSH

Pardon me, but the spelling of the city in my previous post is "McDonough." And the hotel I'm speaking of is at most 1 mile off the interstate.

Upvote 0

SAV

I'm in Northern Illinois. We drove down about 10 years ago and we stayed in Chattanooga on the drive down. I definitely would have liked to drive further that first day, but my 2yo daughter was done by that point. On the way home we stayed in Nashville. It was so long ago that any hotel advice I would have would be very stale.

I do suggest that you drive as far as you can on that first day. The second day was a killer for us...seemed to never end.

Remember to avoid the Chicago traffic situation when you leave. Getting stuck in that just as you leave will make for a bad start to your trip. Also make sure to avoid Atlanta during the rush too.

For us, it is worth it to pay the money to fly down. A few hours total from home to MCO vs. 2 days in a car. Maybe once we're retired we'll drive down again(Who am I kidding, I'm gonna be living down there when I retire...enough of this snow and cold).

Upvote 0

erasure fan1

We drive down from the southwest suburbs every year. Depending on how we feel we stay in Dalton or Tifton GA. Tifton puts you about 4hrs from Disney so thats what we try for. This last year we stayed at the La Quinta in Dalton and it was a nice place, not to expensive and it was very clean. We have also stayed at the best western there as well and it was nice too. We have stayed in Macon as well but prefer going the extra distance to Tifton or stopping short of Macon in Dalton because we just think its a bit nicer.

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

We have stayed at a nice Fairfield Inn in Tifton Ga, but Tifton is a good hour south (about 80 miles) of Macon. I live in the Atlanta area and drive to Champaign a lot. Its a good two hours from the in laws to Chicago, so the Macon area is going to be a long day. The good news is that day two will be short. I've stayed at Fairfield off of I-475 (exit 9) which was nice a few years ago. It would be about 6 hours from Macon to WDW. Good luck and safe travels.

Upvote 0

musketeer

From the detroit area, it makes for a long first day, but there is a nice fairfield inn off of 75 in macon. Fairfield is a marriott hotel, which is what we choose to stay at also.

Upvote 0

Zipadeelady

Were a little north of Fort Wayne and when we drive we stop a little south of Macon. It takes around 13 hours and we usually make it to Cordelle or Tipton, GA. All hotels we have been to in that area have been great!! Happy planning.

Upvote 0

Billy6

Original Poster
Thanks all! I appreciate your input... The wife says she wants to drive about 10-12 hours on Saturday and get to Orlando around 2 on Sunday. I was thinking a half way point so maybe we would stay at the same place both legs... I am scanning all of the suggestions this weekend with her!!

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

I'll second those who mentioned Dalton, GA and Tifton, GA. We stayed at both several times during my childhood trips. Haven't been in. years, though, but both areas were fine places to stop when we went.

Upvote 0

Kobe!!

Orland Park, IL here.

Past two years, we've drove down and stayed in a Homewood Suites in Kennesaw, GA. The hotel is in AMAZING conditions and the prices were super reasonable. Rooms all came w/ a full kitchen and the whole 9 yrds and more. I don't recall the exact price but I know it was UNDER $125 a night. Highly recommend!!

Upvote 0

Tommye1078

Were from Naperville and we drive down 2 - 3 times a year. We almost always drive straight through, we have stopped once or twice. When we do it's because one of the kids is throwing or not sleeping. It's takes 18 hours door to door. I feel anything south of altanta is the way to go. I wouldn't want to deal with the traffic in the morning.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom