News Chevrolet is teaming up with Walt Disney World to reveal the all-electric Chevrolet Bolt EUV and Bolt EV

correcaminos

We have a Tesla Model Y (sold the Model 3) and a Subaru PHEV... I miss driving stick (not gas, just manual). I will probably replace the PHEV with another STI 6MT, but I have internal conflicts about it daily.
I won't go back personally. Driving stick was less brain involved than one pedal driving. I actually won't even do a PHEV at this point as they can be more polluting than one thinks and the maintenance is high still. We have one ICE that gets great gas mileage but when it's time, we'll do another BEV. Shifting is great to learn and can be fun, but it's just not a direction I am willing to go from now on. Oddly I found the STI more boring to drive than a Mini back in 2016. I was actually shocked with not loving it as it was the front runner prior. Maybe tbe dealership experience made it lesser, but I walked out knowing which was a more fun car. The BRZ was better too and sales guy said that before I even voiced it. Fun doesn't have to be about just a manual transmission (though my old was, my new is just as fun). We're only hurting our world more by being stubborn. But that's my view. At least big name US makers are starting to be responsible.

alphac2005

We have a Tesla Model Y (sold the Model 3) and a Subaru PHEV... I miss driving stick (not gas, just manual). I will probably replace the PHEV with another STI 6MT, but I have internal conflicts about it daily.

How has the build quality been with your Y? We're test driving one tomorrow. We had a deposit down on the 3 a year and a half ago and then pulled it concerned about quality control issues. Yesterday, we test drove a Mach-E and the vehicle is absolutely outstanding. Wonderful materials and finish, but I personally felt like there is an issue of reduced visibility in the car, as in the a lot of pillars and cramped window space versus as Tesla or a Bolt.

Ford sold me on the quality, but I'm not so sure about the line of sight issues. The second factor at play is the Supercharger network versus the non-supercharger network. We've had so many letdowns at Electrify America, EVgo, etc. with the charging speeds fluctuating wildly and simply not working that it's of concern. Our max fast charge speed in the Bolts is 53 kwh versus 150 in a Mach-E and from what I understand is really around 170 in Y. Triple the speed on a trip is a big deal and the consistency of the Supercharger network might be enough to sell us on the Y.

DCLcruiser

How has the build quality been with your Y? We're test driving one tomorrow. We had a deposit down on the 3 a year and a half ago and then pulled it concerned about quality control issues. Yesterday, we test drove a Mach-E and the vehicle is absolutely outstanding. Wonderful materials and finish, but I personally felt like there is an issue of reduced visibility in the car, as in the a lot of pillars and cramped window space versus as Tesla or a Bolt.

Ford sold me on the quality, but I'm not so sure about the line of sight issues. The second factor at play is the Supercharger network versus the non-supercharger network. We've had so many letdowns at Electrify America, EVgo, etc. with the charging speeds fluctuating wildly and simply not working that it's of concern. Our max fast charge speed in the Bolts is 53 kwh versus 150 in a Mach-E and from what I understand is really around 170 in Y. Triple the speed on a trip is a big deal and the consistency of the Supercharger network might be enough to sell us on the Y.
Our 2018 Model 3 had very good fit/finish and was pretty much trouble free for 2 years.

Our 2020 Model Y (VIN 32XXX) was excellent and still is. No issues with quality. Panels are perfect all around etc.

I would buy another 3 in the future and am trying to get family into a Y.

correcaminos

There is a video out of Sandy Munro talking with Elon Musk about the production issues. Watch this if you can. If you can plan appropriately there should be little to no issues

Not to dog Tesla but be sure to check out the supercharger network too. Here there is one and no where near close to me. I have more options for free charging with non-tesla chargers. Two are a block away. Also if US based don't forget to weigh in on the tax credit. All of that combined made Tesla a bad choice for us right now. That and even the 3 is big. Hopefully the rumored 2 will be smaller. They are a solid choice though!

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

There is a video out of Sandy Murano talking with Elon Musk about the production issues. Watch this if you can. If you can plan appropriately there should be little to no issues

Not to dog Tesla but be sure to check out the supercharger network too. Here there is one and no where near close to me. I have more options for free charging with non-tesla chargers. Two are a block away. Also if US based don't forget to weigh in on the tax credit. All of that combined made Tesla a bad choice for us right now. That and even the 3 is big. Hopefully the rumored 2 will be smaller. They are a solid choice though!
Depends where you live. On Long Island we have 5+ Supercharger and 3 Service Center locations within an hour. To be fair, I haven't needed to supercharge in years. It is really only for trips.

The Tax Credit is gone but the cars are cheaper today. We paid $56k in 2018 for a Model 3 (w/o AP), that same car is $49k today with AP included standard. So, you aren't really missing out on the credit.

Size, the Model 3 is a very good size. Same size as A4, 3-Series, etc that it competes.

M2 could be fun, or tiny lol.

correcaminos

Depends where you live. On Long Island we have 5+ Supercharger and 3 Service Center locations within an hour. To be fair, I haven't needed to supercharge in years. It is really only for trips.

The Tax Credit is gone but the cars are cheaper today. We paid $56k in 2018 for a Model 3 (w/o AP), that same car is $49k today with AP included standard. So, you aren't really missing out on the credit.

Size, the Model 3 is a very good size. Same size as A4, 3-Series, etc that it competes.

M2 could be fun, or tiny lol.
Yes, definitely depends on where you live which is why I said to be sure to check the local networks. I was floored when I saw one in my county and I'm not in a small city at all (bigger than Boston and Seattle even) but we have a hatred of BEV it seems here. Our state charges extra fees for BEV and PHEV for registration. Which is fine, but ours is $200 a year where doing average math it should be closer to $50-70 to make up for gas tax. I'm punished having my BEV. I think that affects infrastructure.

I drive a Mini so to me the 3 is huge. It's even a little larger than our Civic. It's all about relative size. I feel the Civic is large so glad to stay small. I nixed a Leaf for the same reason as a 3. Didn't even consider the crossovers by anyone either. I ditched my small SUV which is size wise, a waste for me, years ago.

As for price It's all relative. The Mini SE starts at $30k though and with the tax credit is ridiculous in cost though to some $23k is a lot still. Again things are relative $50k is not a cheap car by any stretch for the average public. That is luxury level which is why Leafs and Bolts are sold so much too. The 3 is most common here out of Teslas due to costs likely. I get the Tesla love and I'm really not slamming them, but one needs to compare all.

correcaminos

For those who may not follow green methods for vehicles, this article shows why BEVs will stay in light duty passenger vehicles. Mentions why hydogen is a poor choice for that, but it will help with transportation

DisneyCane

For those who may not follow green methods for vehicles, this article shows why BEVs will stay in light duty passenger vehicles. Mentions why hydogen is a poor choice for that, but it will help with transportation
If efficiency is the only goal, then BEV is certainly the winner. They are ignoring that adding more batteries for additional range makes them less efficient because of the additional weight being carried around.

If you consider other factors like refueling/recharging time and cost for longer range, it isn't quite as clear cut. The cost of doubling the size of the hydrogen tank, for example, is a lot less than doubling the number of batteries. Of course the cost will be higher to get the power into the vehicle with hydrogen (or hydrocarbon produced with renewable energy) than for direct electric charging so that has to be factored in as well.

The current state of the art for BEV is fine for daily commuting or 250 mile or less road trips. They can't be recharged fast enough for a cross country type trip. At least once a year I do a road trip where I drive 10 to 12 hours a day for two or three days. I stop at McDonald's or something similar for 20 minutes for brunch and then stop for maybe 45 minutes for dinner somewhere. Neither of these stops is long enough to get fully charged and for it to be remotely convenient, the rapid charger needs to be where I am stopping to eat.

Certainly for tractor trailers, some type of liquid fuel solution is needed. Hydrogen is probably the most viable as I don't see electric to diesel conversion being economical enough anytime soon. If H2 is the solution for long haul trucking then maybe some kind of Hydrogen Fuel Cell range extender can be designed to go in the trunk (or frunk) and can be rented for long road trips. This would allow an on board charger than can be refueled quickly.

alphac2005

Our 2018 Model 3 had very good fit/finish and was pretty much trouble free for 2 years.

Our 2020 Model Y (VIN 32XXX) was excellent and still is. No issues with quality. Panels are perfect all around etc.

I would buy another 3 in the future and am trying to get family into a Y.

Well, we just test drove the Y today and.... sold. Lol. Wow. I was impressed to say the least. As a long time EV owner, I love that it feels like an electric versus the Mach-E, which felt like an ICE. I think that Ford has the right idea in making the car feel familiar to drivers instead of the electric feel. It will help them get people adjusted easily, but I absolutely love the EV feel. Now we're figuring out when we'll be purchasing the car, which will hopefully be in the next two weeks.

DCLcruiser

If efficiency is the only goal, then BEV is certainly the winner. They are ignoring that adding more batteries for additional range makes them less efficient because of the additional weight being carried around.

If you consider other factors like refueling/recharging time and cost for longer range, it isn't quite as clear cut. The cost of doubling the size of the hydrogen tank, for example, is a lot less than doubling the number of batteries. Of course the cost will be higher to get the power into the vehicle with hydrogen (or hydrocarbon produced with renewable energy) than for direct electric charging so that has to be factored in as well.

The current state of the art for BEV is fine for daily commuting or 250 mile or less road trips. They can't be recharged fast enough for a cross country type trip. At least once a year I do a road trip where I drive 10 to 12 hours a day for two or three days. I stop at McDonald's or something similar for 20 minutes for brunch and then stop for maybe 45 minutes for dinner somewhere. Neither of these stops is long enough to get fully charged and for it to be remotely convenient, the rapid charger needs to be where I am stopping to eat.

Certainly for tractor trailers, some type of liquid fuel solution is needed. Hydrogen is probably the most viable as I don't see electric to diesel conversion being economical enough anytime soon. If H2 is the solution for long haul trucking then maybe some kind of Hydrogen Fuel Cell range extender can be designed to go in the trunk (or frunk) and can be rented for long road trips. This would allow an on board charger than can be refueled quickly.
This Tesla Model 3 went NY to Cali in 48 hours and a Porsche Taycan EV did it in 44. What’s taking you so long? :p

DCLcruiser

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 4.02.14 PM.png

TikibirdLand

I wonder what the largest selling family vehicle today is and what they project it to be over the next 10 years?
  • Honda Civic (261,225 units sold) ...
  • Chevrolet Equinox (270,994 units sold) ...
  • Toyota Camry (294,348 units sold) ...
Two sedans... Hmmm. But, the #1 selling vehicle is the F150 at 780K last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom