Chemotherapy Port and Disney

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Hi friends, looking for some advice if possible. So 10 days before our big trip begins my mother as been diagnosed with breast cancer. :cry: Talk about bringing me out of the Disney spirit and back to reality with a kick in the gut. She will have a port put in before the vacation and the doctor as told her to go but just take it easy. Not like she planned to go on any coaster or jarring rides.
I know that there are some cancer survivors out there and was wondering if anyone has been in this situation? Dealing with any vacation or Disney trip with a port. Also any tips or supporting thoughts are very welcome. She will not have any treatment until after the vacation, if she can go. I may be a grown man but tears are hitting the keyboard just having to type these words.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer just needed to get this out.

Thank you

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I wish I had something to tell you that could ease your pain, but hang in there. We have some great people here and there's nothing like having a good sounding board for things like this. :wave:

hcswingfield

In 1990 I was diagnosed with AIDS and told I had two years to live. Turns out, I'm still here. But the diagnosis made me determined to make every moment count, and to keep my thoughts on what I have today instead of what MIGHT happen tomorrow. Two weeks ago my cardiologist told me to postpone my trip to Disneyland so I could have a cardiac catheterization procedure to see if I might have any blockages. I'm going to Disneyland on Friday. If there is bad news, it can wait. I plan to enjoy my vacation in the magic that is Disney. I hope your family can do the same. Today is all that counts. :wave:

disneyrcks

I am sorry I do not have the advice you are looking for, I just wanted to let you know I am sending you all positive thoughts! Hang in there! ((HUGS))

disneyrcks

In 1990 I was diagnosed with AIDS and told I had two years to live. Turns out, I'm still here. But the diagnosis made me determined to make every moment count, and to keep my thoughts on what I have today instead of what MIGHT happen tomorrow. Two weeks ago my cardiologist told me to postpone my trip to Disneyland so I could have a cardiac catheterization procedure to see if I might have any blockages. I'm going to Disneyland on Friday. If there is bad news, it can wait. I plan to enjoy my vacation in the magic that is Disney. I hope your family can do the same. Today is all that counts. :wave:

Enjoy your trip!! You are definitely a survivor and I admire that so much. My uncle was diagnosed in the late 80's and unfortunatley passed in 96. But his husband (my uncle Ralph) has been going strong as well and jogging every day despite two heart attacks! Enjoy your trip and keep living your life <3

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Thanks for the well wishes. This journey is just beginning, at least it has been caught early and this type is suppose to be very responsive to treatment. I just figure I'll be taking extra photos and videos for this trip.

LuLaSue

I can feel the love you have for your Mom! Live in this moment, because the right now is the only moment we ever have! I hope your Disney Trip is wonderful and make beautiful memories in anticipation of returning to celebrate your Mom's in recovery!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know it is cliché but it times like this I turn to the movie line "Everyone dies; Not everyone truly lives" Tell her to live. Tell her to have a great time at WDW and when she gets back she can be ready to grab cancer by the throat and kick it in the junk until it is dead.

LuLaSue

I know it is cliché but it times like this I turn to the movie line "Everyone dies; Not everyone truly lives" Tell her to live. Tell her to have a great time at WDW and when she gets back she can be ready to grab cancer by the throat and kick it in the junk until it is dead.

Love it Master Yoda! Live...Live..Live....

The Mom

Premium Member
You might want to ask her physician if he knows anyone in the area, in case she needs anything. Also, you might want to check on the location of the nearest hospital that he (your physician) might recommend.

You may have to rent a wheelchair or ECV if she is tired - the hardest part might be convincing her to use one. I took my mother to WDW a few weeks after her heart attack, with the same medical warnings - it was their 50th anniversary trip. I made her use a wheelchair, took frequent rests.

She lived another 15 years, and I also was able to do the same for her last trip in Jan 2006 - she died in Nov of that year.

You won't regret it, and God willing she will have many more visits when she's feeling better.

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster

Gotta love that outlook and your colorful metaphors

You might want to ask her physician if he knows anyone in the area, in case she needs anything. Also, you might want to check on the location of the nearest hospital that he (your physician) might recommend.

You may have to rent a wheelchair or ECV if she is tired - the hardest part might be convincing her to use one. I took my mother to WDW a few weeks after her heart attack, with the same medical warnings - it was their 50th anniversary trip. I made her use a wheelchair, took frequent rests.

She lived another 15 years, and I also was able to do the same for her last trip in Jan 2006 - she died in Nov of that year.

You won't regret it, and God willing she will have many more visits when she's feeling better.

Thanks "Mom" I'll pass that idea on and if he have to use a ECV must refrain from going all UFC on the first person who makes a bad remark. Are mug shots included on photopass? :lol:

britdaw

Oh my gosh... I'm so sorry! I hate hearing that you guys got such sad news. I hope that you can figure out ways to make your trip as awesome as possible for your mom and all of you involved.

Minnie1976

I had breast cancer and went to Disney with a port. My doctor said I could ride everything even the roller coaster. I was worried about Rock n Roll Roller coast because I was afraid the harness would press on the port. It didn't come close. I was still going through a cancer prevention therapy that was why I still had the port. I was through my chemo and radiation by 2 months when I went. I had my strength back and was able to walk and keep up with my family. I felt like I was back to my old self, and I was going to make it. Since my whole family was able to meet at Disney, it was a great trip.

When I was on chemo, I was told not to eat salad or fresh vegetables because you didn't know if they had been washed good enough. I never ate either the whole time I was on chemo.

Enjoy have a great trip!!! Disney is a wonderful place to put the real world out of your mind a little while.

InLikeFlynn

My dh has also done Disney with his port. I echo what others said...it didn't prevent him from doing anything, but he generally doesn't do the thrill rides anyway.
Prayers...it's a long, crappy road.

Disneybird

So many ladies I know have been touched by breast cancer, including 3 of the 40 I work with and my sister. Keep positive thoughts and encourage your mom to do anything she feels like doing.

My sister had breast cancer at the ripe old age of 29. She was told she had less than a 20% chance of survival. That was 30 years ago. In 2010 she developed a very aggressive form of uterine cancer and again was told she had a very low survival rate. I went with her to the doctor for her first visit and held her hand during the biopsy. Afterwards the doctor told her it didn't look good and she needed to prepare for surgery asap. Her response to him was that she had to put it off at least a week because her grandson was leaving for boot camp and she had plans to go see him. Today again with the grace of God, she is cancer free.

My thoughts are with you and your mom.

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
It's great to read these encouraging stories and thoughts. Thank you so much! I knew somebody on these boards had to have went to Disney with a port. This gathering of people continues to be amazing.

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Update:

Well my mother was able to join us on our trip for a few days. As far as the port she just was careful what she did and rode. The only regret was going on Kilimanjaro Safaris in AK. We were in the very back row and that was a very rough ride. It was fun to hear her scream and laugh out load on Tough to be a Bug. She had no trouble on the rides that she would do under normal circumstances. No water rides that would you get you drenched and did not swim. We did go at a slower pace.

As for an update on my mother. The cancer was responding to chemo but they could only do so much. You can stop the cancer but kill the patient in the process.. So she has been put on a hormone therapy that is suppose to be a very good treatment for this cancer. After the chemo the tumors have shrunk so the hormone should be a long term option to keep them from spreading.

Thank for all the prayers and well wishes. Hope this info is helpful to others. This is my pictorial debut on WDW Magic.

wilkeliza

So glad to hear that your mother felt well enough to go to WDW with your family. Also glad to hear the Doctors are optimistic about her condition. I hope you don't mind that I will add you to the list of families I pray for.

I am not here to be a downer but wanted to share my family's battle with cancer that will perhaps enlighten the situation for you.

I lost my mother to an aweful gastro cancer when I was 15 (almost 16). When my mother was diagnosed when I was 12 she was told don't expect to live more than 6 months more realistically 4. She was a fighter and survived a little over 3 years more. Here motto is Live life and live it like tomorrow is your next day. As she told her doctor she could be hit by a bus tomorrow or the cure for her cancer could be found the next week you just never know. We were a very poor family but my mother did everything she could to get us a few great years. She used all her extra money and teacher's bonus that year on season passes for Six Flags after she found out. She wanted us to be able to live with cancer not just survive through it. I stress to remember to live a great life because chemo can get awful.

The other part of my story is that my grandfather just recently passed from melanoma/lemophomma/lung cancer. It was a very long battle with cancer. I think it was almost 20 years. He got melanoma when I was tiny and then didn't pass until I was 23 so yeah I would have to imagine it was close to 20 years. He made sure he still got out every day and was even fighting with the nurses up until his last day.

I share these stories to stress one thing. You can not let cancer be a death sentence. It only is when you let it be. Cancer is a living life sentence. It reminds you that you have to live life to the fullest. Instead of worrying so much about bills and work you can set those things aside and spend time with family, friends, and fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom