Checking on Signature restaurant quality

BASS

Couple comments:

1. I went to Flying Fish since the renovation. I found it fantastic. I'd have no qualms about sharing a nice evening with your wife there. As a downside, you'll likely encounter more noise and families than other spots, but you know what you're getting into.

2. IMO, the problem with "signature" dining is it's not chef-driven. Disney paints a very broad brush to attempt to appeal to a large mass of people with not particularly discriminating taste and so the result is fairly bland food that isn't unique or memorable. Save for a couple exceptions, you're going to get "safe" food that will appeal to far-ranging palates but won't be particularly creative or innovative.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

A couple of REAL SIGs to think about? NOT Disney owned...

1) Shula's, Dolphin. TIW accepted, no DDP. Everyone thinks "steak" (for good reason - best steak on property). NO one thinks "BEST Lobster on property". Steak & LOBSTER is why we go twice per trip, two trips per year :).

2) IlMulino, Swan. TIW accepted, no DDP. BEST Italian on property. A whole week of Steak & Lobster can get old :).

Tinker218

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Flying Fish in December. We will be dinning there again on Wednesday and on Monday, the 18th, which is our 47th anniversary. The meal was fantastic. I had the salmon and my husband had the New York strip. We used to love the Yachtsman, but our last couple times the meals were not up to par at all. We stay at the Boardwalk on their club level and their chefs cook the evening appetizers in the lounge, they are always delicious!

WDW Monorail

Yachtsman is very, very good but I feel that it should be remodeled to match the new Ale and Compass Restaurant. Understandably, it is very difficult to close down a restaurant like that for an extended period of time for a refurbishment but it will be done eventually.

Flying Fish is also excellent based on 2 recent vists. Another great option is Citricos.

OneofThree

Fine dining is generally very high salt and high fat, so that part isn't new.

Maybe a decade or more ago, but it's certainly not where fining dining is today. Disney is behind the curve. That aside, I doubt we're on the same page with the level of salt I'm talking about here. More like:

My review of Yachtsman from last month, originally posted elsewhere:

Not our first trip here, and we weren't terribly disappointed because we knew what, and what not to expect.

Rolls were terrific, but you already knew that ;). I started with French Onion Soup, which may have been the best executed dish of the evening. We also ordered the Artisanal cheese board. Both my wife and myself felt like the cheese and chosen pairings were fantastic. Sadly, these were the highlights. Realizing that we'd be just fine with our filets cooked anywhere from medium rare to medium well, we both ordered them medium. Neither came out medium, with each clearly being medium-well or better. The sides were just okay (truffle macaroni and cheese, mushrooms), but probably could have been very, very good if they weren't so incredibly salty. What was totally unforgivable, is what they brought me on a plate and called lobster. The half Maine lobster was tiny, dry, rubbery, and lacked any discernible flavor (and I've had more than my fair share coming from New England). Our server was very. . .nice.

Someone else: Over salty has been my issue every time Ive gone there. Ive given them multiple chances over the years as people rave about the Yachtsman all the time for the most part and its always way way too salty. Ive never had an issue with too much salt at any other steakhouse Ive been too. Sadly the last time the steak even had a ton of gristle as well and I think I spit out more gristle than I ate meat. We will try again in a few years but I will miss those rolls they are amazing.

I can deal with a little salty, and I'm not one of those who watches or limits sodium intake. For the benefit of readers, this is the type of salty that just smacks you in the face. Even my wife, who generally salts her food to the point I won't eat it, suggested that they must have emptied the shaker.

Hockey89

Maybe a decade or more ago, but it's certainly not where fining dining is today. Disney is behind the curve. That aside, I doubt we're on the same page with the level of salt I'm talking about here. More like:

My review of Yachtsman from last month, originally posted elsewhere:

Not our first trip here, and we weren't terribly disappointed because we knew what, and what not to expect.

Rolls were terrific, but you already knew that ;). I started with French Onion Soup, which may have been the best executed dish of the evening. We also ordered the Artisanal cheese board. Both my wife and myself felt like the cheese and chosen pairings were fantastic. Sadly, these were the highlights. Realizing that we'd be just fine with our filets cooked anywhere from medium rare to medium well, we both ordered them medium. Neither came out medium, with each clearly being medium-well or better. The sides were just okay (truffle macaroni and cheese, mushrooms), but probably could have been very, very good if they weren't so incredibly salty. What was totally unforgivable, is what they brought me on a plate and called lobster. The half Maine lobster was tiny, dry, rubbery, and lacked any discernible flavor (and I've had more than my fair share coming from New England). Our server was very. . .nice.

Someone else: Over salty has been my issue every time Ive gone there. Ive given them multiple chances over the years as people rave about the Yachtsman all the time for the most part and its always way way too salty. Ive never had an issue with too much salt at any other steakhouse Ive been too. Sadly the last time the steak even had a ton of gristle as well and I think I spit out more gristle than I ate meat. We will try again in a few years but I will miss those rolls they are amazing.

I can deal with a little salty, and I'm not one of those who watches or limits sodium intake. For the benefit of readers, this is the type of salty that just smacks you in the face. Even my wife, who generally salts her food to the point I won't eat it, suggested that they must have emptied the shaker.

Fine dinning still uses plenty of salt and that has not changed in ten years... High fat has decreased but you are lying to yourself if you think salt has decreased.....

christine7257

Echoing recommendations for Capa ... it’s amazing. Cocktails at the rooftop bar at sunset is perfection. Flying Fish is one of my must dos. I like the decor much better post-renovation and have enjoyed all meals there- both food and service have always been stellar. Bluezoo at the Dolphin is another outstanding restaurant and has never disappointed, Jiko would also be high on my list of recommendations for a special occasion evening.

horizons82

Original Poster
I also really liked Bluezoo, and it had lots of options for my wife as far as seafood. The same for Jiko...really enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere the two times we ate there previously. Unfortunately our outings to many of these WDW restaurants were quite a few years ago, which is why I was started this thread--to sort of get an idea of where things stand these days.

As the OP, I thought I'd follow up and mention that we ended up dining at Morton's instead of Flying Fish. We hadn't been there before and wanted to try it, and found both the food and the atmosphere just what we were looking for on that particular splurge night.

That said, The Boathouse has been on my dining wish-list for some time, and now Capa has been added to it based on the feedback here. I'm still likely to give FF another go since I'd like to see the décor post-renovation.

I'm also intrigued by Paddlefish, but have read mixed reviews about both the ambience and quality of food. As someone who really enjoys dining out but with very limited funds to do it on only rare occasions, it's hard to try something that doesn't have consistently good reviews.

NeedMoreMickey

Went to the Flying Fish last September and had the best steak on property in a long time. My husband crossed LeCellier off his must do list a few years ago when the quality didn't match the cost.

DISR

Doing an adult getaway this week, and just changed from Hilton Bonnet Creek to Four Seasons as a surprise for my wife. Based on the reviews here, Capa will be on the dining list for the weekend. Should Ravello also be on the list? I don't see as many reviews for that. I don't minding spending for a meal (and I expect high prices at the Four Seasons), but I want an expensive meal to be very good. We will have a car and plenty of time to explore other locations if the cuisine won't live up to its high price.

DISR

If you find yourself out and about, some of the very best dining in central Florida is concentrated in the Dr. Phillips area, a ~15 minute drive from Disney property.

https://www.visitorlando.com/en/things-to-do/restaurants/orlando-districts/restaurant-row
Thanks. I've been to Moonfish and Nagoya sushi and there are others in the area I'd like to try. Didn't want to go too far down that rabbit hole though, given the location and title of the thread. I'll open a thread in the offsite restaurant area if I want to discuss those options. Agree that Dr Phillips area has tons of interesting options to explore though.

Hockey89

Doing an adult getaway this week, and just changed from Hilton Bonnet Creek to Four Seasons as a surprise for my wife. Based on the reviews here, Capa will be on the dining list for the weekend. Should Ravello also be on the list? I don't see as many reviews for that. I don't minding spending for a meal (and I expect high prices at the Four Seasons), but I want an expensive meal to be very good. We will have a car and plenty of time to explore other locations if the cuisine won't live up to its high price.
Capa is great. Lamb chops and mashed P are amaizng. Ravello is loud with a ton of kids. It’s ok. Not worth it.

zurgandfriend

I must agree with everyone else the quality of the signature restaurants has dropped off significantly since circa 2009 with the advent of free dinning. Dinning at signature restaurants is now a hit or miss proposition. I had a great meal at Yachtsman last trip however Le Cellier and Artist Point are on the list of do not dine right next to Hollywood and Vine.
We vacation at WDW and stay on property however, business takes to Orlando on occasion and I stay and dine off property. The off property dinning experience is far better. For us it has gotten to the point where we will take a cab to dine off property one or two nights and as the “sword guy” stated Shula’s is now a WDW staple for us as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom