Checking in (wait or as soon as possible?)

Daily Magic

Original Poster
Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on checking in with virtual check in. Since it is now the preferred way Disney wants you to check in I’m sure many of us will be doing it when we didn’t do it in the past.

I used to always go to the front desk just to make sure everything was correct and the payment information was set up. I’ll admit I hoped at times I could share my story with concierge and sneak a free room upgrade but that never happened (anniversary, honeymoon, wife’s first visit, etc). Now since I’ll likely just be using the virtual check in I wanted to know if it matters when I check in? My stay is two months away and I keep seeing that shiny button looking at me in the app. Is there any reason to wait or do you suggest just checking in and being done with it?

UNCgolf

Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on checking in with virtual check in. Since it is now the preferred way Disney wants you to check in I’m sure many of us will be doing it when we didn’t do it in the past.

I used to always go to the front desk just to make sure everything was correct and the payment information was set up. I’ll admit I hoped at times I could share my story with concierge and sneak a free room upgrade but that never happened (anniversary, honeymoon, wife’s first visit, etc). Now since I’ll likely just be using the virtual check in I wanted to know if it matters when I check in? My stay is two months away and I keep seeing that shiny button looking at me in the app. Is there any reason to wait or do you suggest just checking in and being done with it?

I don't see any reason to wait.

Of course, last time I was at Disney, I still had to go to the lobby because I never received my room number. It's supposed to be emailed to you/automatically added to the app when your room is ready but that didn't happen for me. I had to have a CM in the lobby get everything squared away.

NelleBelle

We "checked-in" for our trip in April but will still have to go to the check-in desk when we arrive (early in the morning) because my mom needs to add a credit card under her name. Since I'm the primary on the room, it would only allow me to add a payment card and we definitely want her card attached to her MB.

In all the times we've tried to use the remote check-in, they've never sent us our room number so we've always had to go by the check-in desk. It would be nice to do it at least once! 😉

nickys

Premium Member
Room assignments are now done centrally, starting about a month ahead. So if you want to make room requests at on-line check in then you should do it at least 30 days ahead.

JIMINYCR

Ive checked in online the last 2 trips we had. The first time everything went smoothly, the second time I had to go back to the check in desk because there was a foul up with the room we were given. I know its more convenient for Disney to do it this way, and although they say its a time saver for the guest, I havent really seen that it saved me all that much time. But I also prefer checking in in person because I like that personal interaction with the desk CM's welcoming me back. Theres something about stepping into the lobby and getting that "I've finally gotten back feeling" that isnt there virtually checking in.
I also liked trading my first pin of the trip with the first CM I encountered, which wont happen now I guess.

wdwfan22

If you go to the front desk they will check and see if there are any other rooms in your room type available now and reassign your room. depending On the resort there cold be. Since COVID I have found it takes longer to get into a room.

Stanwee

Check in be done you can always change later pick your floor or area to be in

Stanwee

We "checked-in" for our trip in April but will still have to go to the check-in desk when we arrive (early in the morning) because my mom needs to add a credit card under her name. Since I'm the primary on the room, it would only allow me to add a payment card and we definitely want her card attached to her MB.

In all the times we've tried to use the remote check-in, they've never sent us our room number so we've always had to go by the check-in desk. It would be nice to do it at least once! 😉
I always call when I don’t receive the info

Weather_Lady

There's no reason not to do it now - if anything changes, you can modify it later.

I don't know if it makes a difference in when your room is ready or if this is just coincidental, but I will say that nearly every time we've used online check-in and indicated our arrival time (generally early morning), we've gotten a room-ready text before we even arrived on property, even once when staying on points in a DVC studio. In contrast, when we haven't used online check-in, our room was almost never ready when we arrived. I'm happy to trade the excitement of visiting the front desk for the convenience of getting to my room earlier.

Daily Magic

Original Poster
I think part of me always hopes for a magical upgrade but I know how rare that can be. Fingers crossed for this trip!

NelleBelle

I would be ecstatic to have a “room ready” text before we get there. We arrive at MCO at 6:00am! We would love nothing more than to check-in and have a nap after our breakfast. Erode we hit the pool and park later in the afternoon and evening. Jet lag stinks!

Daily Magic

Original Poster
What type of upgrade are you hoping for? Standard room to Gran Destino Tower?
Just curious.
Pretty much. We split our last stay there between a standard room and the tower and while I like the bathroom in the standard room more I absolutely cant get enough of that view from the tower. Maybe someday I’ll get to enjoy the club level too.

Club Cooloholic

As someone like you who always went the front desk route, this last trip I just went with doing it online(and calling ahead of the trip to put in requests).
I got close to what wanted, so no complaints and it was quick and easy.
I think you are better of checking in when now. Just make sure preferences are already there(early check in, or floor). The call about a week and half or two before check in and make any more specific requests, closer to elevator, quieter room, facing a particular pool. Just remembered through of you want early check in if will proritize that over specific requests. It might try to meet them still as beat as possible though.

ilovelabs2021

I have a Touring Plans membership, and with it, they fax requests for you close to your arrival. While we didn't get the area of Beach Club we initially wanted on our last trip, we did get a full balcony in a very quiet area of the resort on the second floor, close to the elevator, stairs, quiet pool, and Epcot entrance, so we were very happy. Hoping to get this location again on our July trip.

aliceismad

I have a Touring Plans membership, and with it, they fax requests for you close to your arrival. While we didn't get the area of Beach Club we initially wanted on our last trip, we did get a full balcony in a very quiet area of the resort on the second floor, close to the elevator, stairs, quiet pool, and Epcot entrance, so we were very happy. Hoping to get this location again on our July trip.
We've gotten our preference twice using Touring Plans' fax, but both times it was only for a partial week vs. a full week's stay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom