Chase Visa: Yes or No?

JohnD

Just recently put a deposit down for a resort stay the week of November 8 and, what do you know, I received yet another application for the Disney Chase Visa.

Is it worth it? Yes or No? And why?

For myself, I've been holding off because I have a Visa card with a no annual fee tied to a credit union account.

Last edited:

Jybbers

I work for Chase Card Services and the Disney card is not the best credit card for rewards. There are some small perks as people have mentioned such as the Chase lounge, the free picture, etc. If you do get it, you will get a lot of compliments and strangers talking to you when you pull it out. The card designs are the best of any credit card. And very very soon you will be able to get a Frozen one or Star Wars credit card. The Star Wars ones are very cool looking.

Chase also offers a free Disney Debit card with cool designs. No rewards,no free financing on Disney vacay, but you do get the free picture and discount on merchandise at select locations. Not sure if it will allow you to get into the lounge though.

Oh yeah on a side note, they will be adding an extra Star Wars Imperial something meet and greet exclusive to the cardholders as well.

Upvote 0

Sparkle1566

I actually have 2 premier cards. One used exclusively for paying for my trip .... which the card is paid off long before I go. The second one is my only personal credit card..... I use it for normal purchases, paying it off every month. They have made -0- interest on me ( just the yearly fee ), but I have made over $300.00 on it since October 2014, which will continue to grow, then will be used during my next trip !!!!! If you work it that way, it is absolutely worth it.... not to mention the other perks during your trip in the form of discounts etc.... why not ????

Upvote 0

allgiggles

We have the regular Disney Visa card as well as the Chase Freedom Visa. We use the Chase Freedom card for whatever the 5% bonus category is that quarter (it's gas purchases right now). All other expenses go on the Disney Visa. All credit cards are paid off in full every month, so no finance charges paid...ever...in 30+ years. The Chase Freedom card rewards can be used for a variety of things (gift cards, cash, etc.) -- we always take the cash payout when we're ready to pay for a Disney trip. Between those two cards, we typically accrue about $600-700/year that we put towards our Disney trips (usually every 2 years). One of the other perks of the Disney Visa card is the 6 months free financing on Disney trips. We've never used that perk, but I know a lot of people do. While I know there are other cards out there that might offer better rewards, having the Disney Visa rewards guarantees we're saving up money for a Disney trip specifically. :)

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
Thanks all! Taking baby steps. Not giving up my Visa connected to my credit union. But now have the Disney rewards card for specific Disney perks.

Upvote 0

insaneshadow

I have it because I needed another card (only had 1 at the time) and thought, "Hey, why not". It may not have the best rewards but it's a good conversation piece in that, when you pay with it, people that are into Disney World immediately say so when they see your card.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
My account became immediately active as soon as I signed up. Naturally, the card hasn't yet been mailed so I don't have the card number in front me of me. Is there any way to find out the number without actually having the card? If not, that's probably a good thing. Another layer of security that the only way to know the whole card number is having the card in my possession.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
Thinking about applying for the card...I'm a student and have a little credit from student loan payments. Anyone know how hard it is to get a card like this?

One thing I'm sure of is that credit card companies always reach out to college students and will probably approve you one. I took the Dave Ramsey course earlier this year and, in it, I learned that statistically people tend to hold on to the first credit card they received, most likely while in college. Well, my first card was the Discover Card. And guess what? I still have it. So while I'll give you info about the Disney Visa card below, you should still give great thought about having one and the responsibility that comes with it. Okay, with that obligatory statement out of the way...

You can apply here: https://disneyrewards.com/. There are two cards: Rewards (no annual fee), and Premier (annual fee of $49).

While following the steps, you'll be asked for your expected gross income and other pertinent questions. If you happen to have an offer received in the mail, plug in that code. That means you're probably pre-approved anyway. Good luck!

Upvote 0

HolleBolleGijs

One thing I'm sure of is that credit card companies always reach out to college students and will probably approve you one. I took the Dave Ramsey course earlier this year and, in it, I learned that statistically people tend to hold on to the first credit card they received, most likely while in college. Well, my first card was the Discover Card. And guess what? I still have it. So while I'll give you info about the Disney Visa card below, you should still give great thought about having one and the responsibility that comes with it. Okay, with that obligatory statement out of the way...

You can apply here: https://disneyrewards.com/. There are two cards: Rewards (no annual fee), and Premier (annual fee of $49).

While following the steps, you'll be asked for your expected gross income and other pertinent questions. If you happen to have an offer received in the mail, plug in that code. That means you're probably pre-approved anyway. Good luck!

Thanks for the info - my mom has one, so I kind of get how it works! I plan on paying it off right away (I've managed my own money for years and am paying for college mostly on my own), I just figured if I use it instead of my debit card to pay for all of my normal purchases, including tuition, then I could earn some decent cash towards a WDW vacation!

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
Thanks for the info - my mom has one, so I kind of get how it works! I plan on paying it off right away (I've managed my own money for years and am paying for college mostly on my own), I just figured if I use it instead of my debit card to pay for all of my normal purchases, including tuition, then I could earn some decent cash towards a WDW vacation!

Absolutely! I held off for several years accepting the Disney Visa offer. I finally bit on Friday. My gas card is currently my Discover Card. I'll just switch my gas card to the Disney Visa and continue paying off the balance. Like you, I might use this card more often than the debit. But unlike the debit which automatically deducts from my checking account (which serves as a means to keep me in check), I'll need to be more diligent about logging in more often and paying those balances off more frequently. In short, any advice given is aimed just as much at myself!

Upvote 0

HolleBolleGijs

Absolutely! I held off for several years accepting the Disney Visa offer. I finally bit on Friday. My gas card is currently my Discover Card. I'll just switch my gas card to the Disney Visa and continue paying off the balance. Like you, I might use this card more often than the debit. But unlike the debit which automatically deducts from my checking account (which serves as a means to keep me in check), I'll need to be more diligent about logging in more often and paying those balances off more frequently. In short, any advice given is aimed just as much at myself!

Welp I just applied and was accepted immediately! I guess this means I'm growing up?

Upvote 0

allgiggles

Just be careful with the tuition -- read the fine print on the college website. When my older sons first started college I was able to pay their tuition with a credit card without any surcharges. I really accumulated Disney rewards those years (usually maxed out). However, 3 of the colleges I have had to pay tuition at no longer process the credit card payments themselves and use an outside company to do it. Those companies charge a fee (usually a percentage of the tuition paid) so we had to stop paying with the credit card since the fee was more than the rewards dollars earned.

Upvote 0

HolleBolleGijs

Just be careful with the tuition -- read the fine print on the college website. When my older sons first started college I was able to pay their tuition with a credit card without any surcharges. I really accumulated Disney rewards those years (usually maxed out). However, 3 of the colleges I have had to pay tuition at no longer process the credit card payments themselves and use an outside company to do it. Those companies charge a fee (usually a percentage of the tuition paid) so we had to stop paying with the credit card since the fee was more than the rewards dollars earned.

Yep, I checked :) Thanks though!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom