Chase Visa: Yes or No?

JohnD

Just recently put a deposit down for a resort stay the week of November 8 and, what do you know, I received yet another application for the Disney Chase Visa.

Is it worth it? Yes or No? And why?

For myself, I've been holding off because I have a Visa card with a no annual fee tied to a credit union account.

Last edited:

SAV

I have the no annual fee version and I get a free picture at Epcot, so it is worth it to me.

Also if you plan to pay it off right away then you get the points to use as money in the parks. You would need to decide if those Disney points outweigh any other points you could accrue on a different card.

Upvote 0

belledream

I have the Rewards Visa, not the Premier, which for no annual fee, I find to be worth it just for the advanced booking opportunities it gives you. Once in a while I might use it to get 10% off a merchandise purchase of $50+, but other than that, I don't use it much. I accrued $20 in Disney rewards dollars over the span of like 3 years...so I'm sure there are better rewards cards out there. To me, it's just nice to have the peace of mind of advanced booking, and it's Disney...so the card is pretty. :)

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
We have both the original and the Premier(because we had one before they had the premier). Love them and mainly now of course use the Premier because of the 2% back (only 1 % for all categories with original/no annual fee) on gas, Disney, grocery stores, and dining categories. Usually we earn well over what the annual fee cost each year (usually earn at least $500-$1000) by charging all of our expenses from those categories and pay it off every month.
But if you don't want the annual fee you can just get the original Disney Visa Card and we still earned a few hundred dollars yearly with that one before we had the Premier.
Also you get 20% discount (better than AP/DVC 15% discount) on most tours and a discount on MNSSHP/MVMCP in the parks. You get 10% off merchandise purchases at all Disney Parks stores, and DisneyStore.com over $50 (Ap/DVC you don't have to spend a certain amount so this is not better than those) ,and 6 months interest free for your vacation charge. Also you get to book certain room offers etc before the general public, or F&w events several days before the general public. (This year it was 2 days prior).
Another extra perk if you are interested in Disney Pins you can buy a special pin just for cardholders every year.
Yes we are guilty of paying them back some interest on occasion like any card but you don't have to do that if you are religious about paying it in full weekly, monthly etc. :)

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

As a credit card, no it is not worth it. There are cash back cards that will give you the same percentage back and you can use that cash back on anything you want, including a Disney vacation. The Disney VISA is the same thing except you can only use your rewards on Disney stuff.

Michael: Gift baskets are amazing, Phyllis. Gift baskets are the essence of class and fanciness. They are the ultimate present that a person can receive.

Andy: What about cash? With cash you can buy anything you want, including a gift basket, so... it's kind of the best gift ever.

Jim: What about a gift basket full of cash?

Andy: Yes! Cash basket! Nice work Tuna.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
We have both the original and the Premier(because we had one before they had the premier). Love them and mainly now of course use the Premier because of the 2% back (only 1 % for all categories with original/no annual fee) on gas, Disney, grocery stores, and dining categories. Usually we earn well over what the annual fee cost each year (usually earn at least $500-$1000) by charging all of our expenses from those categories and pay it off every month.
But if you don't want the annual fee you can just get the original Disney Visa Card and we still earned a few hundred dollars yearly with that one before we had the Premier.
Also you get 20% discount (better than AP/DVC 15% discount) on most tours and a discount on MNSSHP/MVMCP in the parks. You get 10% off merchandise purchases at all Disney Parks stores, and DisneyStore.com over $50 (Ap/DVC you don't have to spend a certain amount so this is not better than those) ,and 6 months interest free for your vacation charge. Also you get to book certain room offers etc before the general public, or F&w events several days before the general public. (This year it was 2 days prior).
Another extra perk if you are interested in Disney Pins you can buy a special pin just for cardholders every year.
Yes we are guilty of paying them back some interest on occasion like any card but you don't have to do that if you are religious about paying it in full weekly, monthly etc. :)

Just signed up for the Rewards Card. (Their hook worked). Already have a Chase Mortgage. Both are immediately visible when you log in. Cool. I'll probably mostly limit use to a Disney trip, or occasional Disney Store purchase. Otherwise, continue using the Visa connected to my credit union as usual. Also, you get a $200 gift card with $500 in purchases in the 1st three months. I have a Disney trip planned for 11/8-13. Just charge the balance of the trip to the card and the $500 is covered. The gift card will have to wait until the next trip, obvously.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Just signed up for the Rewards Card. (Their hook worked). Already have a Chase Mortgage. Both are immediately visible when you log in. Cool. I'll probably mostly limit use to a Disney trip, or occasional Disney Store purchase. Otherwise, continue using the Visa connected to my credit union as usual. Also, you get a $200 gift card with $500 in purchases in the 1st three months. I have a Disney trip planned for 11/8-13. Just charge the balance of the trip to the card and the $500 is covered. The gift card will have to wait until the next trip, obvously.
Yay! Welcome fellow card member! Haha! :)

Regular one or the Premier?

I have other chase accounts too and it linked right away and was able to see it. You may want to also consider charging your gas, dining, Grocery (2% back with premier) so you can earn rewards quicker and make your $49 annual fee worth it if it was the Premier you got. If you do that just pay it off in full weekly, monthly etc. You will be surprised how fast you will earn rewards. Also use as your card to charge to on your trips at Disney to earn that 2% back as well. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrostyNaples

I've had the one with annual fee for 1.4yrs now.

It paid for myself and my wife's annual pass renewal this year in just rewards.

Like the forced savings personally for Disney related spending.

Other than $50 annual fee, never paid a finance change, its paid off monthly. We use as primary card for life expenditures.

Gas, Groc, Dinning, Disney all 2% back. 1% on everything else.

Upvote 0

aw14

I have the no annual fee version and I get a free picture at Epcot, so it is worth it to me.

Also if you plan to pay it off right away then you get the points to use as money in the parks. You would need to decide if those Disney points outweigh any other points you could accrue on a different card.
This is what we have too. The rewards overall are minimal but the picture is worth it

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
Yay! Welcome fellow card member! Haha! :)

Regular one or the Premier?

I have other chase accounts too and it linked right away and was able to see it. You may want to also consider charging your gas, dining, Grocery (2% back with premier) so you can earn rewards quicker and make your $49 annual fee worth it if it was the Premier you got. If you do that just pay it off in full weekly, monthly etc. You will be surprised how fast you will earn rewards. Also use as your card to charge to on your trips at Disney to earn that 2% back as well. :)

Regular Rewards card. I've been holding off this long. So, I'll start with the no annual fee card. Good thought on gas. My Discover card, for whatever, reason has been my "gas card." I've hardly ever charged anything else to it. Why not switch gas payments to the Chase Visa? Good idea. As far as grocery and dining, I've been trying to follow Dave Ramsey principles of using my debit card. i.e. If you have the cash, pay for it. Don't go into debt. If I do pay for these with the Disney Visa, I would probably log in at the next immediate opportunity and make an immediate payment from my checking account which would be equivalent to paying with my debit card.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Regular Rewards card. I've been holding off this long. So, I'll start with the no annual fee card. Good thought on gas. My Discover card, for whatever, reason has been my "gas card." I've hardly ever charged anything else to it. Why not switch gas payments to the Chase Visa? Good idea. As far a grocery and dining, I've been trying to follow Dave Ramsey principles of using my debit card. i.e. If you have the cash, pay for it. Don't go into debt. If I do pay for these with the Disney Visa, I would probably log in at the next immediate opportunity and make an immediate payment from my checking account which would be equivalent to paying with my debit card.
That's what we all do well try to with our Disney Visa card. Charge all regular expenses and pay off in full each month. That's free Disney money (adds up pretty quick) without giving them any interest. :)

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
That's what we all do well try to with our Disney Visa card. Charge all regular expenses and pay off in full each month. That's free Disney money (adds up pretty quick) without giving them any interest. :)

In the short term, I'll just use it as my gas card. I'm planning on making a payment to my Discover card next week. Maybe I'll just transfer its balance to the Disney Visa. In the meantime, I'm still working down on paying down a balance on my credit union Visa, so I'll hold off on any other charges on the Disney Visa until then. That card balance should be $0 by the end of September.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

In the short term, I'll just use it as my gas card. I'm planning on making a payment to my Discover card next week. Maybe I'll just transfer its balance to the Disney Visa. In the meantime, I'm still working down on paying down a balance on my credit union Visa, so I'll hold off on any other charges on the Disney Visa until then. That card balance should be $0 by the end of September.
I hope you don't think I was pushing it on you to use it! Lol I just wanted you to know all the benefits. You seem to be on the right track. :)
Oh the only other advice i would give is to not transfer any balance to your Disney Card (won't earn you any rewards by doing that) unless you won't be charging anything else to it, etc. that way you leave it free for anything for your trip etc or gas purchases, and you can keep paying in full when you do use it. :)

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
I hope you don't think I was pushing it on you to use it! Lol I just wanted you to know all the benefits. You seem to be on the right track. :)

Nope, you didn't. If I continue the practice of using this credit card as my gas card and nothing more, I'll put money on it in no time and pay it off every month just like I did my Discover Card. I'll have the $500 on it sooner for the $200 gift card. Money-wise, having taken Financial Peace University, I try to follow the Dave Ramsey principles pretty closely of staying out of debt. Not that Disney makes it easy with their Visa card and MBs that can be swiped at will!

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Nope, you didn't. If I continue the practice of using this credit card as my gas card and nothing more, I'll put money on it in no time and pay it off every month just like I did my Discover Card. I'll have the $500 on it sooner for the $200 gift card. Money-wise, having taken Financial Peace University, I try to follow the Dave Ramsey principles pretty closely of staying out of debt. Not that Disney makes it easy with their Visa card and MBs that can be swiped at will!

I know they make it wayyyy to easy to spend money in Disney!!! LOL! :eek::D

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

Given the timing of your trip, there's another great perk: The Chase Lounge at Food & Wine Festival.

The lounge is located upstairs inside the American Pavilion at Epcot, and google informs me that they are doing it again this year. You show your Disney Visa and the cardholder and guests (up to 5) get whisked by elevator into magical air-conditioned goodness. Free, non-alcoholic beverages are available. You can look out the windows at the people walking around World Showcase. It does have limited capacity, so if it fills up you have to wait for someone to leave before you can go in. Even so, it's a wonderful thing, especially on a hot day.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I use mine for every expense I can - gas, food, cell/cable/car insurance/etc.- including the Disney vacation. I just set aside the funds to pay those fixed monthly expenses, like cell, cable, etc. in my savings account, along with estimate for groceries/gas/other for the month. And use that set aside to pay the balance in full every month. If I've over estimated, then I just let the excess remain in savings. My credit line is high enough to cover all my monthly expenses and then some, so why not get that interest free loan for 30 days and earn a few pennies in interest while the $$$ sit in my savings account. Of course, this means one must be disciplined enough to not touch the holding funds or go wild and exceed the estimated amount to be charged that month. If only my lender would let me charge my mortgage payment to my credit card....

Upvote 0

Jybbers

I work for Chase Card Services and the Disney card is not the best credit card for rewards. There are some small perks as people have mentioned such as the Chase lounge, the free picture, etc. If you do get it, you will get a lot of compliments and strangers talking to you when you pull it out. The card designs are the best of any credit card. And very very soon you will be able to get a Frozen one or Star Wars credit card. The Star Wars ones are very cool looking.

Chase also offers a free Disney Debit card with cool designs. No rewards,no free financing on Disney vacay, but you do get the free picture and discount on merchandise at select locations. Not sure if it will allow you to get into the lounge though.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom