News Character Spot, Innoventions and more to close in September

The Empress Lilly

Who came up with that name? I can imagine the meeting and someone saying: "Oh I know, Electric Umbrella! It sounds futuristic...somehow!" šŸ˜„

Maybe someone knows if it is related to something we don't know about.
As always with EPCOT, surprisingly, the answers lie in our past. The Land restaurant once featured electric umbrellas. (And a superb fountain, and an amazing ceiling mural, and painted walls, and moving balloons, and carpeting, and)

the+land+-+interior.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You might joke but concept art plan for grass and trees.

I'd rather see nothing there rather than once great buildings horribly underimagined.

It's slightly less insulting to the greats that envisioned and built EPCOT Center.
Thatā€™s not gonna cut it...

If they want to build bland show buildings housing pay per minute type stuff...and eliminate any character outside...the place is never gonna feel the same.

Whatever...Iā€™m sure the upcharge early entry will sell well šŸ™„

AVAC Juice

Pop quiz everyone.

Generally speaking and putting a year on things...

What year did Epcot begin it's rapid dissent into an identity crisis?

Stupid Judy we'll start with you.

jt04

Amazing people say they don't like the new Future World before we know what it is.

The FoN may be prettier than the tombstones but it creates similar traffic flow problems. Perfect that Imagineering is getting as blank a canvas as possible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Amazing people say they don't like the new Future World before we know what it is.

The FoN may be prettier than the tombstones but it creates similar traffic flow problems. Perfect that Imagineering is getting as blank a canvas as possible.
Are you the secret commander of a secret Vatican organization know as the ā€œExcusigesiaā€??

Anyway...the ā€œdescentā€ of Epcot can be traced to the late 90ā€™s when they re-evaluated the redo of futureworld and realized they werenā€™t committed/wanted to spend the money.

Ground zero was the replacement imagination with crap and then ā€œgiving upā€

Last edited:

AVAC Juice

*gets to microphone...taps for clearence* *ahem*........Epcot94.......
I give a margin of error within a year in either direction of which you clearly didn't need.

Cmdr_Crimson isn't screwing around.
Yes, you win! Unfortunately Epcot does not.

------
There is a bonus question to which I truly doubt I will get an answer for reasons of a PC nature.

Who took over Epcot as a park in the second half of the 1990's as it really took it's biggest leap of unrecoverable failure?

1995/96- 2000. Vice President of Operations. Giving us the death of Figment and the 2000/wand which were so beloved.

And under which failing endeavor have they been demoted to today?

Peter Principles please don't answer.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

JT, I am able to tolerate quite a bit from you, but they are destroying the heart and soul of Walt Disney World. Magic Kingdom is a lot of fun and all and I miss the trees in the Hub, but Disney World was built to house EPCOT. The Epcot we got was more theme park than what Walt envisioned, but it was still inspirational, reflective, eye-opening, gorgeous, and daring because it was different from any theme park anywhere else. You stepped in and knew Disney was the best in the business and you were lucky enough to be visiting the flagship of their empire.

Thereā€™s no question that the park is dated. But it is such a masterpiece of a park that needed updates should have been made with a fine brush and a steady hand. Instead they are taking a jack-hammer to it and removing everything that made the park unique in the first place.

It is a devastating loss to any true Walt Disney World fan.

Imagine Disney tearing out Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland and placing Snow Whiteā€™s Beer Garden in its place.

With each successive change in the park over the last 20 years (its been declining longer than it was at its peak, now), theyā€™ve removed something special and Iā€™ve thought, ā€œwell, at least x, y, and z remain.ā€ Very little remains any more. In terms of attractions, Spaceship Earth is still pretty good, The Seas, Living with the Land are about it for the original fans. Whatā€™s left is the architecture. Which they are destroying.

Last edited:

JohnD

Yes. And most of their announced decisions regarding Epcot post-40th anniversary leave something to be desired.

Of all the parkā€™s problems, the enormous fountain in the middle isnā€™t one. It needs to be modernized, but not removed. Like most of whatā€™s in the park. I was always able to took past cosmetic faux pas like Project Kaleidoscope because the bones of a great park (the parkā€™s architecture) were still there. When they start demolishing, mistakes become irreversible.

Letā€™s just hope relocated. The entire spine is being redesigned so probably had to go from itā€™s currenr location for that work. Hoping itā€™s relocated elsewhere, maybe somewhere else in the resdesigned spine.

JT, I am able to tolerate quite a bit from you, but they are destroying the heart and soul of Walt Disney World. Magic Kingdom is a lot of fun and all and I miss the trees in the Hub, but Disney World was built to house EPCOT. The Epcot we got was more theme park than what Walt envisioned, but it was still inspirational, reflective, eye-opening, gorgeous, and daring because it was different from any theme park anywhere else. You stepped in and knew Disney was the best in the business and you were lucky enough to be visiting the flagship of their empire.

Thereā€™s no question that the park is dated. But it is such a masterpiece of a park that needed updates should have been made with a fine brush and a steady hand. Instead they are taking a jack-hammer to it and removing everything that made the park unique in the first place.

It is a devastating loss to any true Walt Disney World fan.

Imagine Disney tearing out Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland and placing Snow Whiteā€™s Beer Garden in its place.

With each successive change in the park over the last 20 years (its been declining longer than it was at its peak, now), theyā€™ve removed something special and Iā€™ve thought, ā€œwell, at least x, y, and z remain.ā€ Very little remains any more. In terms of attractions, Spaceship Earth is still pretty good, The Seas, Living with the Land are about it for the original fans. Whatā€™s left is the architecture. Which they are destroying.

So if we don't feel the same way you folks do, we aren't true WDW fans? Good to know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom